Speaking of undergained "feeling"; clippage with a real amp

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
So droney riff again disclaimer, blah blah blah. The clip below is me tracking one take with blue channel, one take with the red channel. Using the headphone out (and cab emulation) from the EVH Stealth.

When I was tracking; it "felt" undergained to me. I had to work a bit harder than the clip I did with the RV50 in the III. Listening back; gain seems similar to the original?

Next time when I track something with the EVH; I am going to boost it. It has more than enough gain on tap; it just is "drier" sounding than what I dial in on the Axe. Is this what the oscilloscope bros feel like? :unsure: :columbo

Second clip has more treble content for sure, not sure about gain content. Would really need iso tracks to help determine that (and maybe not phone speakers)

What Stealth do you have? My 50WS arrives today!

Second clip has more treble content for sure, not sure about gain content. Would really need iso tracks to help determine that.

What Stealth do you have? My 50WS arrives today!
I have the 50. It's awesome! Congrats on that! What's kind of funny is the III uses my normal IRs and the Stealth clip is using it's own cab emulation yet they sound pretty similar to my ears. I just know when tracking it felt like I needed to work a bit more tracking the amp vs. the Axe.

On these cheap computer speakers I have, I immediately heard more upper mids in the second recording. The gain did sound a little less in the second clip but I think I liked it better. Again, that is with these cheap computer speakers.

On these cheap computer speakers I have, I immediately heard more upper mids in the second recording. The gain did sound a little less in the second clip but I think I liked it better. Again, that is with these cheap computer speakers.
Thanks for the listen. I don't know what if even anything I even proved to myself on these comparisons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the listen. I don't know what if even anything I even proved to myself on these comparisons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I went on a couple of drive pedal buying sprees last year. One that I picked up is the Wampler Pantheon Deluxe. I don't know if you are familiar with that pedal at all. My ear has been catching things in the last couple of years that I didn't use to hear. I also got into building some pedals last year and learning about circuits in drive pedals. The PD pedal has switches to change the clipping and gain structure in it. Something I heard very clearly is a change in the midrange when changing the clipping types. I have also started hearing a difference in some midrange response depending on changes in gain. To my ear, once I get to a certain amount of gain, adding more just changes the frequencies that are more prominent in it. When I add more gain it gets darker and responds more in the lower midrange. That is what I was thinking I heard in your clips.

I went on a couple of drive pedal buying sprees last year. One that I picked up is the Wampler Pantheon Deluxe. I don't know if you are familiar with that pedal at all. My ear has been catching things in the last couple of years that I didn't use to hear. I also got into building some pedals last year and learning about circuits in drive pedals. The PD pedal has switches to change the clipping and gain structure in it. Something I heard very clearly is a change in the midrange when changing the clipping types. I have also started hearing a difference in some midrange response depending on changes in gain. To my ear, once I get to a certain amount of gain, adding more just changes the frequencies that are more prominent in it. When I add more gain it gets darker and responds more in the lower midrange. That is what I was thinking I heard in your clips.
Very interesting. Probably more interesting than the initial discussion starter :rofl I have looked more than twice at a Wampler or 3. I will probably end up with one at some point.

Very interesting. Probably more interesting than the initial discussion starter :rofl I have looked more than twice at a Wampler or 3. I will probably end up with one at some point.
I have several of his drive pedals. I had a bad experience with a Euphoria. I bought one when he first changed the name of it. I never got a tone out of that I liked and traded it in on a Dude. I decided a month or so ago to give it another try and bought the newest version. It is the same circuit as the old one. The reason I decided to do this is I saw his video about how to run it. I didn't know how the pedal was designed and therefore was doing just about everything wrong with it. Now that I have another one, I like it. It does what he claims it will do.

If you ever decide to look into them, I can let you know what they are about if it is one that I own. I have been pretty surprised with the ones I purchased last year. I am up to 5 of them now.

I have several of his drive pedals. I had a bad experience with a Euphoria. I bought one when he first changed the name of it. I never got a tone out of that I liked and traded it in on a Dude. I decided a month or so ago to give it another try and bought the newest version. It is the same circuit as the old one. The reason I decided to do this is I saw his video about how to run it. I didn't know how the pedal was designed and therefore was doing just about everything wrong with it. Now that I have another one, I like it. It does what he claims it will do.

If you ever decide to look into them, I can let you know what they are about if it is one that I own. I have been pretty surprised with the ones I purchased last year. I am up to 5 of them now.
I'll probably end up with a Tumnus at some point? I'm going to need a bigger pedal shelf :oops:

A good friend of mine sent this picture of his collection a couple of weeks ago. I think he has a problem. :rofl

wamplers.jpg

A good friend of mine sent this picture of his collection a couple of weeks ago. I think he has a problem. :rofl

View attachment 17783
That is one heck of a Wampler collection. Does he have that same issue with other brands?

I don't really know how many drive pedals I own. I am sure if I dug them out, there are more than in that picture. I don't have as many as in that picture of any one brand though.

I would like to point out that the Wampler minis look more robust than other minis for whatever (probably imaginary) reason?

That is one heck of a Wampler collection. Does he have that same issue with other brands?
Pedals, not to my knowledge. But he does have a fixation on Hamers and a few other guitar lines. (I hope he won't mind my talking about him here. He lurks at TOP a bit. I've asked him to join us here, too.)

I told him to send that picture to Wampler - see if they'll punch his card and give him a free sandwich. :rofl

I don't really know how many drive pedals I own. I am sure if I dug them out, there are more than in that picture. I don't have as many as in that picture of any one brand though.
I've been trying to talk him into having a "Capture party" where we make a million QC captures of that collection. First question, though: would I even be able to tell the difference between all of those pedals? I'm skeptical. :D

Hmm. Capture party. There's got to be a better way to say that...

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Pedals, not to my knowledge. But he does have a fixation on Hamers and a few other guitar lines. (I hope he won't mind my talking about him here. He lurks at TOP a bit. I've asked him to join us here, too.)

I told him to send that picture to Wampler - see if they'll punch his card and give him a free sandwich. :rofl
He definitely should get a free lunch for buying that many.

I have a couple of old Hamer guitars. They made some very good stuff.

Back