THE AMP SIM PLUGIN THREAD

FYI B.J. Buchalter from Metric Halo responded to my question what the Maximum Input Level for the DI input for their ULN-2 was, this is his answer:

"It depends on the gain and trim you have set. At minimum gain and no trim it would probably be about +4dBu = FS. With minimum gain and max trim, I think it is +24dBU = FS. If I recall correctly, in all cases the ADC will clip before the analog input on the ULN-2.

B.J. Buchalter "

I measured: 500mv into the ULN-2 = -8.3 dBFS

No stepped/digital controls.
You can still adjust so your 500mV sine wave is about -16.5dBFS, and then plug your final values into the spreadsheet to work out your dBu level.

With stepped controls it’s easier to recall the same position if you change controls (say to record vocals). Without them, it just means you’d have to calibrate by measuring a sine wave and then adjusting for a specific dBFS level.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Elf
You can still adjust so your 500mV sine wave is about -16.5dBFS, and then plug your final values into the spreadsheet to work out your dBu level.

Thanks for the help!

I did not have my meter at home to test this. How can I lower the levels to -16dBFS if I'm sending 500mV from one of my audio interface output and the ID input where I'm receiving that input is already at minimum gain?

How can I lower the levels to -16dBFS if I'm sending 500mV from one of my audio interface output and the ID input where I'm receiving that input is already at minimum gain?
Use the trim control :)

With it disabled, you’ll have quite a loud signal - with the trim maxed, you’ll have 24dBu of headroom (which is a lot). Roughly half way should be the sweet spot, but if you measure you can have it accurate for all amp sims

Reactions: Elf
You are a saint I finally got it! I'm embarrassed to say that I've never used the trim control before :\

Thanks Again!

Had some people asking about Kuassa input levels so I reached out to them. Nice and prompt responses, and friendly and everything.|

First response:
The guitar hits in true peak around -3db to 0db and RMS -18
Thank you for reaching us!

2nd response:
Given the variations in audio interface preamps and guitar output voltages, we've kept the setup simple. Our calibration involves setting input levels to our reference, which typically ranges from peak-to-peak -6db to 0db, with an RMS around -18db to -24db. You can adjust your levels using your hardware's input gain. However, if that's not feasible due to excessively quiet or loud pickups, we've incorporated input trim controls within the plugins themselves for finer adjustments.

and when I clarified why that method doesn't really cut it, 3rd response:

From the Devs: 1Vpeak = 0dBFS.

Hope that clarifies the issue. :)

Its no slight on Kuassa, most exchanges seem to go something like that and companies who are responsive, helpful and friendly are much better than ones that simply don't help or have any intention to. Still blows my mind a bit that aiming for guitar peaks to be -3dBFS would be deemed as accurate by their recommendations, but in reality, it would be about 15dB too low. As I've said before, are there many people really recording close to clipping, and just intuitively knowing they should boost another 12-15dB?

Anyway, TLDR is Kuassa=1vP=0dBFS

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 13.06.16.png

if this crash in pro tools bug is fixes, ill be quite happy. Also a ToneX update with another IK metal pack of high gain amps.

Pro Tools users get Nembrini's Soldano free atm, worth checking your account.

Looks like NDSP snuck out the X version of Nameless yesterday, 50% off sale today.

Coincidentally, I saw Behringer released a free synth plugin today (kind of prophet inspired). They mentioned the dev being Stefano D'Angelo, who looks like he's done a lot of the recent Arturia stuff (which IMO has got seriously good in the last few years) as well as quite a lot for Neural DSP (guess he's their analog modelling guy). He studied in Finland so totally checks out.

Coincidentally, I saw Behringer released a free synth plugin today (kind of prophet inspired).

That release already got leaked some weeks ago and I managed to snag it. Man, what a miserable affair, seriously. Super shitty sounds, most awkward interface of all times, wasting screen estate as if there's no tomorrow.
Even tried to register the official version as I'm on a new Macbook now - no avail, their server keeps crapping out. Add to this you can't close or even just move the always-on-top registration window, so you have to force-quit the entire damn thing.
What a bunch of incredibly pathetic losers.

Looks like NDSP snuck out the X version of Nameless yesterday

Love that plugin soo much. Now with the transpose in it, delay & reverb, it's awesome.
Not to mention the lower CPU usage that I suspect will come along with the X release.

Love that plugin soo much. Now with the transpose in it, delay & reverb, it's awesome.
Not to mention the lower CPU usage that I suspect will come along with the X release.
Its great to have a Jose style high gain modded Marshall in plugin form. Its one of my favourite NDSP plugins, sure the real amp absolutely rips.

I have the Fortin Cali plugin already. Would the Nameless be worth it to add? I'd figure they're in the same ballpark much?
They are, surprisingly, pretty differently voiced. You can probably dial both in close to another but the Nameless has a very satisfying low end punch that I can't get from the Cali.

I have the Fortin Cali plugin already. Would the Nameless be worth it to add? I'd figure they're in the same ballpark much?
very different sounding amps, Cali is really versatile and is almost like an amp builders playground, where you can tweak the circuit at many different junctures.

Nameless is slightly more of a one trick pony, as if the modded-Marshall mods are hardwired in. You still have controls for diode clipping and the low input though. I dig Cali, but I prefer Nameless. So I would say it’s worth it.

very different sounding amps, Cali is really versatile and is almost like an amp builders playground, where you can tweak the circuit at many different junctures.

Nameless is slightly more of a one trick pony, as if the modded-Marshall mods are hardwired in. You still have controls for diode clipping and the low input though. I dig Cali, but I prefer Nameless. So I would say it’s worth it.
The Cali is probably a bit too versatile imho - easy to miss the mark on great tones while the Nameless is easier to dial.

The Cali is probably a bit too versatile imho - easy to miss the mark on great tones while the Nameless is easier to dial.
Yep, Cali is one of those amps thats easy to make sound bad as some combinations don't sound good together. Nameless is hard to make sound bad

That release already got leaked some weeks ago and I managed to snag it. Man, what a miserable affair, seriously. Super shitty sounds, most awkward interface of all times, wasting screen estate as if there's no tomorrow.
Even tried to register the official version as I'm on a new Macbook now - no avail, their server keeps crapping out. Add to this you can't close or even just move the always-on-top registration window, so you have to force-quit the entire damn thing.
What a bunch of incredibly pathetic losers.
its quite funny that the absolute BEST name they could come up with was:

"BEHRINGER VINTAGE"

its vintage Behringer

Back