Speaking of dumb Katana crap; they released another amp. "Interesting" cabinet calibration feature?

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist

Saw this came out the other day. This cab calibration feature. Is it Boss bs at work?
1713739650925.png

1713739777940.png

I don't think it's dumb to be able to tune the resonance frequency for the cab, that's what Leon shows in one of his video to get most out of your modeler into a real cab. Cool feature! :giggle:
I thought the feature itself seems cool. But the Boss implementation is what I'm worried about :oops: :ROFLMAO:

I don't think it's dumb to be able to tune the resonance frequency for the cab, that's what Leon shows in one of his video to get most out of your modeler into a real cab. Cool feature! :giggle:
Yeah that's a great feature.

When I had a Bogner GF45 SL, Victory VC35, two guitar cabs, Fryette PS-100 and Axe-Fx 3, I wanted to see if I could dial the Axe-Fx 3 to sound and behave exactly like the two tube amps (neither directly modeled by Fractal). I didn't want to use Tone Match because the point was getting those tones on its own from the Axe-Fx.

I hooked the tube amps and the Axe-Fx into the PS-100 so I could run into real guitar cabs and have a close like-for-like setup.

I managed to dial them very close by ear, using multiple models especially for the Bogner which is quite versatile with its 2 channels + boost + 3 modes for OD.

But the last mile was all about the speaker impedance curve. I tried dialing that by ear but the differences were so subtle it was impossible. I got better results when I found the closest equivalent preset SIC, that made the models feel and behave like the real amps.

So having an automatic measurement tool for that is pretty great!

I'm intrigued, but no way I buy one of these to replace my 700RB.

That sent me down a YT rabbit hole and after sifting through a pile of vids that turned me off, I found this one that makes me want a combo now:

I've gone through like 4 or 5 bass practice combos over the last year and haven't found one yet that gets me anywhere close to the 700RB, but maybe this could close? Maybe... not sure I wanna shell out $400 to find out. But... maybe I forgo the 6505+...

So then the next question comes. Is there plans for a guitar power amp version of this with that same functionality?
I wouldn't be surprised if they release say a companion poweramp for a "GX-1000" whenever they make one. Basically this bass poweramp but without any of the modeling built in. I'd be actually curious how this bass head would perform in that role.

This feature doesn't make a whole lot of sense to include in a "Katana Mk 3" combo, but might be a thing for a Katana MK 3 head.

Back