Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

On the button of the rig manager send to player.

Or on player when you have stuff in editor hold down the button til it blinks, press it again. Stored

I got one more day than u on it...ain't rocket science once you gloss over the manual.
Yeah that's what I'm doing. It's not writing to the unit. I wish I had a second one to try.

Yeah that's what I'm doing. It's not writing to the unit. I wish I had a second one to try.
You ran check for update in the rigmanager?
I had to update it and the player.

Also if you make changes on unit and store there by pushing and holding the location button, and then once more pushing it do the changes reflect in rig manager?

You ran check for update in the rigmanager?
I had to update it and the player.

Also if you make changes on unit and store there by pushing and holding the location button, and then once more pushing it do the changes reflect in rig manager?
Yes, all updated. I did read that there are some related issues Kemper is working on.

Anyone know exactly which type of USB thumb drives the Player uses? I've tried four now and only one old one worked. They were all formatted for FAT32. All are under 16GB.

Anyone know exactly which type of USB thumb drives the Player uses? I've tried four now and only one old one worked. They were all formatted for FAT32. All are under 16GB.
FAT32 is kind of the only requirement... not sure why a bunch wouldn't work with yours. Maybe get a replacement at this point with all the USB troubles you're having? :/

I am a long time Kemper Rack user (with the Kemper foot controller).

I have given up my dedicated pedal board so I could have an all-in-one solution for gigging.

My HOPE for the Kemper Player was that I could buy one and use it as a backup "Player" for my full sized unit.

I can't because:

1. All premium EFX (delay's reverbs) are missing
  2. Performances are not supported
I don't personally use morphing (yet), but I know of many who do.

So for the use case of a Kemper backup (for an existing user), or a Kemper "Throw-and-go" device for an existing Kemper user, the device misses the mark ..... by enough that I won't buy one.

Now, sure, I am not the ONLY kind of user that Player might attract..... but lets look at those too.

How about someone who wants an amp pedal to integrate into a pedalboard?

ToneX: $400. Is it as good? Maybe. The amount of rigs that are available in Kemper's "Rig Manager" and the quality of the rigs that can be either freely downloaded, or purchased might convince someone to go with Kemper Player IF they don't mind not having a screen of any kind (which is possible). It has normal MIDI in/out connections. It doesn't have an efx loop.

HX Stomp: $700. It has a screen. Can utilize all EFX in the premium products (just not as many at once). Has efx loop, the XL version has many more foot switches for $50 more. Has standard MIDI connections, Has Line 6 editor (which is quite good). Arguably, the Kemper player amp tone is better for some types of gain (low breakup).

Fractal FM3: $1100. It has a screen, it will run any efx the premium unit will (not as many), has FX send and return, stereo XLR outs, real MIDI ports, doesn't use a wall wart (built in power supply) and supports an external foot controller expansion.

Kemper Player: $700 No screen, No efx loop, no standard MIDI connectors. One other issue that has popped up on the Kemper forums is that the unit draws quite a bit of current. This could be an issue for some pedal boards.

If I were in this market, I would EITHER go cheap with the ToneX, or use the FM3 as my brain center for my pedal board.

How about someone that wants a SMALL all-in-one throw-and-go multi-processor?

To me, the FM3 wins this hands down. All on its own, it has all the capabilities of its premium parents, but it is smaller with fewer foot switches.

Sure, you can't go nuts with your processing, but what you can do is pretty amazing IMO.

So where do I go from here?

When (If) Kemper sends out an update that enables the premium efx and performances, I might put this on my list for a Christmas gift (or Birthday). As it sits today, not only will I not be getting one, I can't really recommend it to any of my friends for what they do either.

What I would say is that you can get a used Kemper Stage for about 1K. A Kemper Stage runs circles around an FM3 (other than looks) for a gigging solution. It is certainly way more for your money than the Kemper Player. Of course, once you start talking Used, you have to look at all your used options as well.

I think that Kemper was late to this game, and when they finally delivered, it misses many users in many markets.

I have given up my dedicated pedal board so I could have an all-in-one solution for gigging.

My HOPE for the Kemper Player was that I could buy one and use it as a backup "Player" for my full sized unit.

I can't because:

So for the use case of a Kemper backup (for an existing user), or a Kemper "Throw-and-go" device for an existing Kemper user, the device misses the mark ..... by enough that I won't buy one.

Now, sure, I am not the ONLY kind of user that Player might attract..... but lets look at those too.

ToneX: $400. Is it as good? Maybe. The amount of rigs that are available in Kemper's "Rig Manager" and the quality of the rigs that can be either freely downloaded, or purchased might convince someone to go with Kemper Player IF they don't mind not having a screen of any kind (which is possible). It has normal MIDI in/out connections. It doesn't have an efx loop.

HX Stomp: $700. It has a screen. Can utilize all EFX in the premium products (just not as many at once). Has efx loop, the XL version has many more foot switches for $50 more. Has standard MIDI connections, Has Line 6 editor (which is quite good). Arguably, the Kemper player amp tone is better for some types of gain (low breakup).

Fractal FM3: $1100. It has a screen, it will run any efx the premium unit will (not as many), has FX send and return, stereo XLR outs, real MIDI ports, doesn't use a wall wart (built in power supply) and supports an external foot controller expansion.

Kemper Player: $700 No screen, No efx loop, no standard MIDI connectors. One other issue that has popped up on the Kemper forums is that the unit draws quite a bit of current. This could be an issue for some pedal boards.

If I were in this market, I would EITHER go cheap with the ToneX, or use the FM3 as my brain center for my pedal board.

To me, the FM3 wins this hands down. All on its own, it has all the capabilities of its premium parents, but it is smaller with fewer foot switches.

Sure, you can't go nuts with your processing, but what you can do is pretty amazing IMO.

When (If) Kemper sends out an update that enables the premium efx and performances, I might put this on my list for a Christmas gift (or Birthday). As it sits today, not only will I not be getting one, I can't really recommend it to any of my friends for what they do either.

What I would say is that you can get a used Kemper Stage for about 1K. A Kemper Stage runs circles around an FM3 (other than looks) for a gigging solution. It is certainly way more for your money than the Kemper Player. Of course, once you start talking Used, you have to look at all your used options as well.

I think that Kemper was late to this game, and when they finally delivered, it misses many users in many markets.
I'm gonna go with even without liquid profile the old Michael Wagener über Pack and the player have all my other stuff seen like toys.

All this talk about screens and prices... Does it sound 300 bucks better than tonex?...nuh but it sure does stuff tonex can't.
I'm so enamored with it I'm tempted to get a stage.

I can't because:

I'm keeping mine but will store it away until an update comes out where I can actually use it to its full potential.

All this talk about screens and prices... Does it sound 300 bucks better than tonex?...nuh but it sure does stuff tonex can't.
I'm so enamored with it I'm tempted to get a stage.
The stage is slick. I do think it's important to factor in the cost of profiles because any savings referenced can quickly go down the drain. For example, how much is that Uber pack you mention? A quick search shows $100 but I could be wrong. Profiles can be a rabbit hole

People buy packs for tone x too....I was more referencing modeling units.

The stage is slick. I do think it's important to factor in the cost of profiles because any savings referenced can quickly go down the drain. For example, how much is that Uber pack you mention? A quick search shows $100 but I could be wrong. Profiles can be a rabbit hole

People buy packs for tone x too....I was more referencing modeling units.
It is lije 90 bucks but since im a pack rat i still have literally more than twice as many Kemper profiles as there are tonex profiles on tonenet from last time i had a Toaster that lasted 5 minutes. Lol

It is lije 90 bucks but since im a pack rat i still have literally more than twice as many Kemper profiles as there are tonex profiles on tonenet from last time i had a Toaster that lasted 5 minutes. Lol
Lol same. I have way too many Kemper profiles so I def wouldn't need to buy more!

But what floors me is why i didn’t like it first time around.
I don’t know if this is why for you but for me it was because, at the time I first tried it, all the other options were modelers.
So Kemper was the only one that made me think I was sacrificing control over the sounds I used.

It was a self inflicted problem my thinking that dialing in tone stack and gain, and the relationship between gain and master was ‘not available on the Kemper.
Until I finally learned that even with the Fractal stuff, where the options were seemingly infinite, I basically dialed up a preset and saved it and from then on it was no more flexible than a Kemper Rig because that’s the way I used it. that was my habit coming from real amp and pedal uses.

i can take a Kemper and fire up Rig Manager and you tell me get a Vox AC 30 with just the right drive and hi cut that I really like and I can do it faster than using Fractal and making a preset.

I think the Stage is a real Pro device set up for consistently having Performances that would be your complete show ready to go. Even a complex show would be no problem. And the surface of the Stage is set up really well once you realize what you are looking at. It’s like the physical version of most modelers signal chain screens with actual buttons and knobs you just watch the values change on the led screen but it is so intuitiv. Like when you twist the treble on a real amp you don’t actually look at it other than to get your fingers on it, after that it’s just muscle memory. Then you add in all the effects and controls for complex Rigs if you need it.

I don’t need all that so I treat the Player as ten ‘Performances’ each bank of five rigs is a single amp type. Like one bank will be a ‘70’s Plexi….5 variations of it on same bank..first three are clean to crunchy…next two are using one of the first three rigs but different delay and reverb settings for solo a change of eq for variety of sound.

so in theory if I was playing in a band context I could decide which amps I need for the show set up and just have to remember what amp type is in bank number one number two etc
Actually my limited time doing live band stuff was classic rock with a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 with a couple guitars a couple cords and a distortion pedal in front and a delay in the loop. So one bank of five with the Player would be fine. I realize that’s a simple approach that won’t work for lots of others.

Last edited:

I can't because:

I’m not buying either before they offer the whole enchilada…and maybe I don’t get it either..,but they obviously did something right cause they are selling way more than they expected. ;)

In my mind eventually they will allow full specs…either under pressure of competitors releasing full power units of simular size…or they figure the added marketpotential outweighs the risk of cannibalization of their other units. I’d say they are in a comfortable position having hardware on the market that keeps those options open.

Back