Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

Still sort of interested in this thing for some reasons (would be a formidable backup and recording tool, I also often need on thing here, the other thing there and I'm not gonna buy a second HX Stomp), but they'd have to offer the full featureset without charging much more (100 bucks or so would perhaps be fine). If they however don't add the parameter locking function, it's gonna be a hard pass.

I'm gonna go with even without liquid profile the old Michael Wagener über Pack and the player have all my other stuff seen like toys.

All this talk about screens and prices... Does it sound 300 bucks better than tonex?...nuh but it sure does stuff tonex can't.
I'm so enamored with it I'm tempted to get a stage.
The stage is a completely different animal.
  • All premium effects
  • Morphing
  • Full amp tweaking
  • Screen
  • Performances
  • Built in power supply
  • EFX loop
  • etc.
The point is, the Stage is a fully full-time-gigging piece of equipment.

I would agree that the Kemper Player does much more stuff than ToneX, and most of the things it does, it does better. This is especially true of the availability of free and paid rigs for Kemper.

Still, without a screen, I find it hard to see how I could gig with the Kemper Player. Maybe a phone app would be enough for me to know what rig I was using in real time? The little LED's 6ft from my head in a dark room? Nope.

Hmmm that is strange. I think rumor is they updated their profiling at some point but idk if that was ever official.

Or maybe Liquid Profiling is really doing it for you?
I think you are right, but I don't think that the quality of the amp tone you can get has changed since it was released.

The made it so you can do direct profiles (basically snag the amp signal before it goes out a speaker) to have the amp and cab better captured. I didn't notice any quality difference between that and the old "capture both amp, cab, and mic" together method.

For me, the big improvements were:
  1. New Reverb Engine
  2. New Delay Engine
  3. New Drive/Fuzz/Distortions
  4. Liquid Profiles
  5. Morphing (that I am just playing with)
1,2 and 3 provided a NOTICEABLE improvement in sound quality over the previous processing.

Liquid Profiles did NOT make the Kemper sound any better, but it DID make it easier to quickly tweak a profile to your liking. I find that many more profiles on Rig Manager are now easy for me to get good tone (to my ear) with.

Morphing is a necessary tool for many people as it is sooooo flexible. I am just simple in my needs and haven't wanted to take the time to use it in my band's set list.

Note: The Kemper Player DOES NOT HAVE 1,2,3 or 5. So 4 of the 5 best improvements the KPA has gotten in the last 11 years, the Player doesn't have :(

• All premium effects
  • Morphing
  • Full amp tweaking
  • Screen
  • Performances
  • Built in power supply
  • EFX loop
  • etc.

I would agree that the Kemper Player does much more stuff than ToneX, and most of the things it does, it does better. This is especially true of the availability of free and paid rigs for Kemper.

Still, without a screen, I find it hard to see how I could gig with the Kemper Player. Maybe a phone app would be enough for me to know what rig I was using in real time? The little LED's 6ft from my head in a dark room? Nope.
The screen has nothing at all to do with gigging. It's totally doable on the Player for any able-bodied human with even the worst eyesight. I mean let's get real here.

• All premium effects
  • Morphing
  • Full amp tweaking
  • Screen
  • Performances
  • Built in power supply
  • EFX loop
  • etc.

Out of the Pros only one the deeper profile tweak parameters would in theory be if any importance for me.

I mean I still use a model like I used an amp.
There no switching of presets.
And all the premium delays I got covered with actual delays.
Reverb? Not really too fond of verb on guitar but I got that covered.

I literally just jonesing to waste money lol

But I think I know why I didn’t like Kemper prior, back then I was still mucking around with the controls to “perfect” stuff now if I can’t do it with hands on strings I should prolly move on to another profile or piece of gear.

The screen has nothing at all to do with gigging. It's totally doable on the Player for any able-bodied human with even the worst eyesight. I mean let's get real here.
It most definately has everything to do with gigging for ME. I have about 15 rigs I use total arranged in 5 performances (Some rigs are used in more than one performance, but might have different default efx on/off and different levels to fit with the other rigs used in the same song(s)).

For people that utilize the same 3 rigs (one clean, one breakup and one heavy) and use an external pedal for boosting volume for a lead, you can get along with the player and its crippled visual interface (from the premium offerings).

There are plenty of people that gig that have a more complex workflow than the Kemper Player is capable of handling.

It has nothing to do with eyesight IMO (Yea, I know I mentioned "little LED's 6 ft from my head"). Who wants to try to remember what order all rigs are on what bank and then figure it out by a bunch of LED's in the middle of a gig?

It most definately has everything to do with gigging for ME. I have about 15 rigs I use total arranged in 5 performances (Some rigs are used in more than one performance, but might have different default efx on/off and different levels to fit with the other rigs used in the same song(s)).

For people that utilize the same 3 rigs (one clean, one breakup and one heavy) and use an external pedal for boosting volume for a lead, you can get along with the player and its crippled visual interface (from the premium offerings).

There are plenty of people that gig that have a more complex workflow than the Kemper Player is capable of handling.

It has nothing to do with eyesight IMO (Yea, I know I mentioned "little LED's 6 ft from my head"). Who wants to try to remember what order all rigs are on what bank and then figure it out by a bunch of LED's in the middle of a gig?
Not sure. I use like 20 in one gig and it's not an issue. It's color-coded.

Last edited:
I'm glad it works for you.

It might be that I am just accustomed to having a pro level foot controller and rig. I was hoping the Kemper Player would be a smaller version of the pro level rig I have with my Kemper Rack and foot controller..... It isn't.

Both the FM3 and the Helix Stomp (and Stomp XL) appear to be just smaller versions of the pro rig. Yes, they have less processing power, but they retain the modules that are in their bigger siblings. Kemper Player does not.

It doesn't make the Kemper Player useless, and it certainly doesn't mean that no one will buy it. It just means they miss an opportunity with me and people like me.

I'm still unable to add amps through Rig Manager. I was able to remove a few that I'll never use. it doesn't seem to hold the amps when I add them. Also, often the amps showing in Rig Manager are not the correct actual amps in the rigs.

I'm still unable to add amps through Rig Manager. I was able to remove a few that I'll never use. it doesn't seem to hold the amps when I add them. Also, often the amps showing in Rig Manager are not the correct actual amps in the rigs.
Can you make changes from the pedal and it reflects in the edit buffer in RM and vice versa?

Can you make changes from the pedal and it reflects in the edit buffer in RM and vice versa?
I'm not following your question (sorry). The exp pedal position is not remembered between presets. "It's a feature we haven't added yet" is the excuse.

I'm not following your question (sorry). The exp pedal position is not remembered between presets. "It's a feature we haven't added yet" is the excuse.
I think he might be referring to the Player as the ‘pedal’ in that example.
when the Rig Manager and the device are connected properly changes made on one will be refletcted on the other.

One thing to keep in mind, and forgive me if you already know but sometimes it’s the simple things that get overlooked, there is a difference between a rig and a profile. When you say ‘the amp’ isn’t the same it is possible to audition profiles (amp and sometimes a cab) you find in Rig Manager that are not on your device nor are they in your local library of rigs. So you can be temporarily listening to a different ‘amp’ that doesn’t get saved to your device or local library (your computer)

not sure if this applies to your situation or not, sorry if it doesn’t help.
save to local library and build a rig with the new profile in it should get you there

when the Rig Manager and the device are connected properly changes made on one will be refletcted on the other.

One thing to keep in mind, and forgive me if you already know but sometimes it’s the simple things that get overlooked, there is a difference between a rig and a profile. When you say ‘the amp’ isn’t the same it is possible to audition profiles (amp and sometimes a cab) you find in Rig Manager that are not on your device nor are they in your local library of rigs. So you can be temporarily listening to a different ‘amp’ that doesn’t get saved to your device or local library (your computer)

save to local library and build a rig with the new profile in it should get you there
That ^

I import the rig into local and drag the amp into my own Player and Save. So you are saying I just need to change the name of the actual amp so it starts showing up in my Player as an available amp (not rig) right? I just want to have new amps show up in the dropdown box.

I import the rig into local and drag the amp into my own Player and Save. So you are saying I just need to change the name of the actual amp so it starts showing up in my Player as an available amp (not rig) right? I just want to have new amps show up in the dropdown box.
I’ll go fire up my stuff and make sure I’m telling you the right thing. It isn’t renaming though, it’s importing or copying etc not drag and drop I don’t think that functionality applies…but I never tried so maybe it should…
be right back

I’ll go fire up my stuff and make sure I’m telling you the right thing. It isn’t renaming though, it’s importing or copying etc not drag and drop I don’t think that functionality applies…but I never tried so maybe it should…
be right back
In all honesty it shouldn't be this hard. I never had any issues like this with other units (like the QC) with adding amps to my collection.

image.jpg

Right click on the new rig you found in rig exchange
In lower right find button that says Store Rig in Profiler
I had already highlighted 8-1 as the target to receive it ( it should over write existing rig)
Push Store once you select the slot you want new rig to occupy and it is done
Probably should also hit Store Rig in Local library if you want to have a local copy of it as well as have it in one of the 50 slots on the Player.
the rig I imported in my example happened to be a DI rig I wanted to try so in that case it is an amp only but that is not anything to be concerned with any rig can be sent/received but any effects in blocks the Player doesn’t currently support will be missing, the amp and cab if it has one as well as blocks A, B (before amp block) and 3and 4 (after cab block) usually Delay and Reverb will be included

Last edited:
Back