Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

yea but 750.00? TOO much! 399 sounds about right.. dont get why companies want to sell less units at a higher price then more units at a lower price?
It's called making a profit, which is good - as opposed to making a loss, which is bad!

Kemper units are made in Germany, not the far east, so the cost to build will be higher.

Anecdotally, the initial production run is already sold out, so they couldn't sell more even if they wanted to...

I keep thinking about getting one lol.

I just really like the idea of having this small little thing on my desk. For some reason I didn't really get this thinky about the ToneX pedal. I guess because I'm a bit sour with IK Multimedia at the moment.

I don't imagine this KPP project was undertaken without a significant amount of market research. I wonder what Kemper's research shows about the proportion of customers who actually ever dip into the more advanced parameters. Maybe not many at all. If so, they may be using a more simplified version of the UI catering to their target market.
I would wager it is the same situation as for Fractal or Helix users. Most won't touch any of the advanced settings regardless of block type.

I'm sure Kemper has thought hard about it because they don't want to make a product that cannibalizes their main lineup. This will appeal to people who liked e.g Kemper profiles, but didn't like their effects, or people who simply wanted something more portable/cheaper. It will also appeal to people who have a Kemper already but want a more portable option with the same tones they can take on a trip etc. Despite owning an Axe-Fx 3, I think I should have kept my FM3 as well just because it's more portable.

I'm 100% certain that TGF group-think is far more knowledgeable than CK when it comes to a market he's being selling into for well over a decade... ;)
Animation Illustration GIF by Janet Mac

I plotted some charts & graphs here to support my expert advice.

Last edited:
Interesting plot twist: it seems the profiler player has the same exact DSP chip as the rack and floorboard, and they're planning to offer a paid update to expand its functionality to those of a full kemper (minus the profiling obv)

EDIT: oops, I just saw you already discussed this a few pages back

Last edited:
What do you mean? FM3 can't do everything the AX3 can? FM3 is by that sense crippled?
Sascha said "without crippling."

That said, yes there are a couple things the FMx devices can't do, but they are relatively minor omissions (e.g. the FMx devices don't have the Bias Tremolo control in the Amp block). For the most part, there is parity between the platforms (barring updates that haven't migrated to the FMx devices).

1703683280557.png

Sascha said "without crippling."

That said, yes there are a couple things the FMx devices can't do, but they are relatively minor omissions (e.g. the FMx devices don't have the Bias Tremolo control in the Amp block). For the most part, there is parity between the platforms (barring updates that haven't migrated to the FMx devices).

View attachment 16392

So Fractal crippled the FM3 by having less DSP then?
I mean it's all semantics, if it's crippled via software or crippled via hardware - for the end user the result is the same, you can't do X stuff on device Y.

So Fractal crippled the FM3 by having less DSP then?
I mean it's all semantics, if it's crippled via software or crippled via hardware - for the end user the result is the same, you can't do X stuff on device Y.
I think I misunderstood your comment. I took it as a question, not a point to be made.

Personally (just to clarify my stance), I wouldn't consider the FMx devices crippled compared to the Axe. They used different parts, which was required to hit a certain price point, and that came with some minor limitations.

yea but 750.00? TOO much! 399 sounds about right.. dont get why companies want to sell less units at a higher price then more units at a lower price?

$399? How much money do you think they would make per unit selling these for $399? Keep in mind they are going to be sold through retail (Sweetwater, GC, etc.) as well as direct and they are made in GERMANY. Dude, come on.

$399? How much money do you think they would make per unit selling these for $399? Keep in mind they are going to be sold through retail (Sweetwater, GC, etc.) as well as direct and they are made in GERMANY. Dude, come on.
What do you actually think the made in Germany means in man power €€€€?

Minimum wage is 12€.
I'm fairly certain the boards are wave soldered, likely not in house so final assbly of one of those boxes gotta be under 3 hours.

Even if they do the boards in house and populate them by hand it's another hour max.

This reminds me of the same song and dance when folks thought that Axe-Fx is made from scratch in the US.

Back