Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

There is a display …

True. An utterly stupid one requiring you to learn a completely weird color code to manage your banks and also requiring you to press a knob to learn about its programmed value. Definitely deserves a design award.

This does way more than two UA pedals and caters to the same sort of crowd.

Just because there's other pedals as stupid doesn't justify anything in my book.

Personally, I am happily spending a premium on excellent stuff. But I'm not doing so because something is just somewhat better than a turd.

I mean, it’s insane to me, in a world where the HX Stomp has existed for several years, and the FM3T is barely more. But YMMV.

UA pedals are hilariously overpriced too. I wouldn’t use that as a barometer of value.
Made in Germany, they gotta make that work somehow. I hope they’re successful.

With the additional processing power available, I’d much rather see them use it toward a stereo input… but that would require another SKU and it doesn’t seem likely they’ll do that.

They’d have to allow stereo amps in my dream stereo-Player unit. I think Kemper FX are worthwhile, I like ‘em.

Well, guess you'd have to look elsewhere then. I.mean, they won't allow this unit to do dual amps as long as the flagships don't.
Fwiw, I think the Kemper FX are nice, but on this limited device, stereo ins IMO would be a waste.

Well, guess you'd have to look elsewhere then. I.mean, they won't allow this unit to do dual amps as long as the flagships don't.
Fwiw, I think the Kemper FX are nice, but on this limited device, stereo ins IMO would be a waste.
I just want my fantasy pedalboard of Chroma Console + Kemper Player to work! :p would be a nice little aesthetic pairing of fun pedal + core-tone pedal, but alas… Chroma Console in mono seems a waste.

Fwiw, it seems I've gotten something important wrong: the encoders actually are endless types. That's changing quite a lot for me (I absolutely loathe fixed 270° encoders on programmable devices). So, compared to the larger units, things won't be that different but only require some getting used to.
My apologies (seriously) to anyone I might have annoyed or confused with my complaints regarding this issue.

Christoph Kemper responded in the Kemper forum to this comment:
It's a not an good idea to charge extra for updates to this device if you ask me, IF that is what Kemper actually intends to do in the future. Charging for feature enhancements puts Kemper hardware products into a totally different category IMO.

“We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

But this would not cut the Player off from the free feature updates that we have pioneered back in 1998 (Access Virus Synthesizers)

There is free feature updates in the works where both levels would benefit.“
- Christoph Kemper

For a display UI on the device to comfortably access the large number of parameters, we would have had to scrap nearly all controls on the surface, leaving merely the Gain and Master Volume and something. This was not what we wanted, knowing that many users prefer to edit sounds using a comfortable remote app anyway.
Laughs in HX One and TONEX Pedal.

Christoph Kemper responded in the Kemper forum to this comment:

“We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

But this would not cut the Player off from the free feature updates that we have pioneered back in 1998 (Access Virus Synthesizers)

There is free feature updates in the works where both levels would benefit.“
- Christoph Kemper

I replied to him in that thread. It’s good to hear that they will not be charging for updates but rather an upgrade to the device. It will be interesting to see how Kemper intends to manage this as it’s something new for them.

Kempers were already earning their keep, for years, before any major free updates. Using nothing but the legacy effects, with zero external pedals—pre- morph, pre- editor—it was already so easy, so good.

Of course a tiny unit that does everything the big guys do would've been great, at almost any price. What CK has released instead is a totally giggable device with best in class tones at a not cheap but decent (for Kemper) price.

Again this unit has everything in it that so many guitarists were using to earn a living making music since way before the new drives etc etc, but in a new fun size package.

Historically, despite similarly at first-read head-scratchy specs—and the requisite similarly knee-jerk, secondhand hate—every product CK has ever released has gone on to major success. Biggest tours. Hit records. Tv shows. Movies. And yeah, they’re even all over P&W and local gigging environments. (Although a Princeton with pedals is still a great alternative for most people’s gigs).

Nobody has to buy this product. But it will be a hit. It probably already is, literally. I’m not sure why that’s important here, as long as it’s available to guitarists who want them. But it will be. And you know this is one company that will continue to support and evolve the device going forward.

Nothing I’ve read about it here neuters this thing. Thanks g*d for no screen. And I’m sure that eventually if I need to play through one, and I make music with it instead of overthinking equipment, as ever it’ll be me not it to blame if I don’t blow minds.

ymmv

Imo

If you’re going to use 20 different profiles on this thing you’re likely integrating with a midi switcher that has a screen already

Otherwise you can probably use it like a 2-3 channel switcher right?

Or maybe core amp tone plus a couple effect switches?

PS
As my rig still works great ten years in and is portable, at least by a relatively recent standard, what would really make this guy happy is a Kemper plugin inside my studio and mobile recording environment. Small is super cool, but for me not a super game-changer compared to what I already use.

That too. As if people were applauding Tesla...

But especially the nonsense about "we couldn't make the poweramp an update because of blahblah..." is just utter BS. There's no technical reason for that.
I gathered that the proposed user install of stuff (120/240 V power amp Module) which takes power direct from the wall is a big no no in many jurisdictions due to electrical safety certification laws. Why would he lie? The hole in the back was there from Day 1.

Back