Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

gg.

Season 20 Fire GIF by The Simpsons

NNPd5G1.jpg

What a load of nonsense from the guy.

isnt that like teslas model limiting batteries for less cost upfront? but you can expand it later for more $$

That too. As if people were applauding Tesla...

But especially the nonsense about "we couldn't make the poweramp an update because of blahblah..." is just utter BS. There's no technical reason for that.

Can't remember anyone asking for a displayless modeler with encoders functioning as on keyboards in the 90s.
Let’s see how they sell
I see plenty wanting a wireless app
And being fine with that , because it matches their workflow

Even though I'm solidly in the Fractal camp, I'm actually a fan of Kemper. That said, I think they have made two serious judgement errors.

First, I think they have underestimated just how much the world at large loathes the DLC business model. Second, they sacrificed too much to squeeze this into a small form factor.

I see absolutely nothing here that would prompt anyone to buy this over a used toaster for a few hundred more.

Second, they sacrificed too much to squeeze this into a small form factor.

Well, it's even worse. They sacrificed things without necessity. There's space for a display and better encoders, the lack of both severely impacting whatever workflow you may think of.

No display, reliance on an app is horseshit, IMO. Value add, yes. Dependence, fuck no.
There is a display …

Our approach to the Profiler Player was to boil down the Profiler to a very portable size, and give it a no-nerd user interface for those that appreciate a simple and „analog“ approach. These users usually don‘t rise their voices on internet forums such as this.

We have decided very early against a graphic display. All endless encoders show their value on a LED by pushing or turning them, so the bargraph is our display. You will see this when you play with the unit for the first time. For a live performance you will arrange a typical handful of Rigs, that you can access quickly with the three assignable foot switches. As these are your precious Rigs, you will probably memorize them faster than you can switch them by foot (think of the old days when devices displays only had numbers for presets). Therefore we found a display showing the Rig names to be dispensable. Alternatively, our remote apps offer the view and access to all 50 Rigs by the touch on the screen.
A purchase recommendation: A Kindle Fire tablet is available at a very low price, 2 digits in some countries. Plus, many of us already have a tablet and most all of us have a smart phone. You probably already have the “display”.

For a display UI on the device to comfortably access the large number of parameters, we would have had to scrap nearly all controls on the surface, leaving merely the Gain and Master Volume and something. This was not what we wanted, knowing that many users prefer to edit sounds using a comfortable remote app anyway.

No display, reliance on an app is horseshit, IMO. Value add, yes. Dependence, fuck no.
It’s not for me or you , but it is what many wanted if you take the GUI out ,
Give us a profile player only
Christophe ok here is your Kemper player only

There is a display …
No, there isn’t. There is no onboard LCD display your relies on a phone app. That’s insane on a $700 device, IMO. have you used an app (or tried to) after your phone updated, and the app doesn’t work until they patch it? I have. It blows goats.

This device screams “this is a $700 accessory for those that already own a Stage, Rack or Toaster.”

No, there isn’t. There is no onboard LCD display your relies on a phone app. That’s insane on a $700 device, IMO. have you used an app (or tried to) after your phone updated, and the app doesn’t work until they patch it? I have. It blows goats.

This device screams “this is a $700 accessory for those that already own a Stage, Rack or Toaster.”
Eh, no display isn’t insane cus it’s $700. This does way more than two UA pedals and caters to the same sort of crowd. It’s a great offering from Kemper, just not for everyone.

Even though I'm solidly in the Fractal camp, I'm actually a fan of Kemper. That said, I think they have made two serious judgement errors.

First, I think they have underestimated just how much the world at large loathes the DLC business model. Second, they sacrificed too much to squeeze this into a small form factor.

I see absolutely nothing here that would prompt anyone to buy this over a used toaster for a few hundred more.
DLC?

I don’t feel that’s an accurate comparison. Anyone buying a Fractal unit has access to all the effects/amp models with over 1000 included IR’s, plus the included DynaCabs. No one with a Fractal will ever have to say “Shit, I gotta pay to get a Flanger so we can play Unchained”

I disagree. But whatever. It's all good :) Everyone should buy what makes you happy.

JUst think of the $$$ they saved by not having a display and still charging top dollar for more profit. engenius

Eh, no display isn’t insane cus it’s $700. This does way more than two UA pedals and caters to the same sort of crowd. It’s a great offering from Kemper, just not for everyone.
I mean, it’s insane to me, in a world where the HX Stomp has existed for several years, and the FM3T is barely more. But YMMV.

UA pedals are hilariously overpriced too. I wouldn’t use that as a barometer of value.

Back