Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

8a8dyb.jpg

Real men play racks.

So why the f%ck does it say "Profiler" in big letters on the front ?

Deliberately "bait'y" marketing (?) -or- an acknowledgement that one of the future paid-upgrade options will be an add-on-hardware-box that allows you to add profiling to the player (?)

However .... the lack-off / missing Amp deep-editing parameters is a *very big* neutering from an Amp tweaking perspective.

Ben

Then they should have named it “Profile” Player, not “Profiler” Player.

I'm sure they call it Profiler because of the trademark:

Just had another look and unless I'm missing it ... it doesn't say "Player" anywhere on it ..... "Profiler" however is very prominent .... Nux / Donner / Mooer would be proud !

Just had another look and unless I'm missing it ... it doesn't say "Player" anywhere on it ..... "Profiler" however is very prominent .... Nux / Donner / Mooer would be proud !
Good point the product name is Profiler Player however that box says...

1703412663628.png

Maybe it's a trademark thing? Maybe they can't use the word "profile" for some legal reason, but "profiler" is ok, and they wanted to maintain that consistency

The more I think about it..the harder it gets to understand..
If it was meant to be an amp in a box only…what’s the combi of monitor out/foh doing there if you can’t place your time efx in a loop?
If it’s meant to use internal time efx…the choice to limit those rubs the wrong way.

Regarding that, I think the concept is fine. Offers everything to work on its own for small gigs (only stupid omission: lack of global EQ) and once you run it in a larger scale setup, you'll likely have other options anyway.
And in case you really needed a "brain" for a larger scale setup, well, there's the Stage.

Doesnt work as a Swiss Army knife on your board either cause of no loop / limited efx.

IMO, Kempers were never meant to be that anyway, with their fixed signal path and focus on profiles.

Anyhow, I still agree on your consensus: This thing seems to manage to lack something for pretty much everybody.
Even if it's different things different folks are missing, I haven't seen much (if any) comments a la "just what I needed!"

Compare that to, say, the HX Stomp. While severely limited in many aspects, while many UI aspects aren't properly designed to make the HX tech fully enjoyable in such a small enclosure, it's still something many people (even super critical ones like me) consider a fantastic all around unit. Personally, regarding the HXS, I'm more or less happily willing to deal with its shortcomings (even if some of them could really be addressed easily). Couldn't say the same about the Kemper Player.

I understand the naming thing doesn't help but let's face it, if it sounds good lots of customers will buy it no matter what you call it. Just look at 'Tonocracy' for example :grin

I was kinda wondering that. No modeler vendor has to my knowledge made any expansion capabilities to their units beyond adding footcontrollers.

It would be neat to buy some extension I/O box for this stuff that you leave at home when you don't need all that and bring a more compact unit. Now that means you have two modelers.
I would absolutely LOVE a QC “docking station”. (More to the point, I’d love three or four of them.)

NDSP took the opposite approach and started selling the pay options first.
Yeah the NDSP comparisons here are really weird. With NDSP the paywall was a “premium feature”. Everyone (except me) was excited about it, and then angry that NDSP failed to realize. Quite the opposite. And the resulting price structure, had they not dropped the ball, wasn’t vague in the slightest. Everyone knew what their plugins cost/ would cost. They were known quantities - which was kind of the entire point.

QC has a chance to turn their ship around with the TMP launch and now this 😂

Not saying they will but they have a chance to earn some good faith as we see even a company like Kemper make some truly confusing PR decisions
Confusing is probably the right word. I don't think it's malicious, necessarily. I understand the idea that "Profiler" is the trademark, thus "Profiler" goes on the box. But you couple that with statements like I quoted from Sweetwater, and you can easily run into a confusing situation where someone doesn't really understand what the device can and can't do.

Edit: Speaking of the QC, I hate that I keep checking SW to see if they still have a black/gold in stock...

Yeah the NDSP comparisons here are really weird.
Not to me. I'm new to the digital realm so when I think of not being transparent with your product, I think of the QC

To me, Kemper are being very non transparent with the Player. Don't outright state it doesn't do profiling, vague and untrue SW page (take your plugins on the go! Vs full fledged kemper on your board!), and hey maybe there will be additional features to get you to the above statement on our sales page but maybe not! Guessing is half the fun!

The interesting part is how laws and certifications prevented them from making a Toaster with optional poweramp. I wonder what was up with that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kemper sell a Rack with an optional poweramp module originally? Or were those just 3rd party modules to mod it into a PowerRack?

Based on that post, I guess we might expect a poweramp box and maybe some profiling addition box for it.

The interesting part is how laws and certifications prevented them from making a Toaster with optional poweramp. I wonder what was up with that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kemper sell a Rack with an optional poweramp module originally? Or were those just 3rd party modules to mod it into a PowerRack?

Based on that post, I guess we might expect a poweramp box and maybe some profiling addition box for it.
These?

Back