Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

It’s still a lot of functionality in this form factor, but being able to universally share rigs back and forth would have been more elegant. You have to wonder what the cost difference would have been. Maybe it was a UI issue, with Kemper’s penchant for discrete physical buttons, etc.

I think the main idea was to be able to make amp/cab compatible. Honestly I think they would’ve been better off leaving the effects out and having it just be amps/cabs

I think the main idea was to be able to make amp/cab compatible. Honestly I think they would’ve been better off leaving the effects out and having it just be amps/cabs
It's always a "well, we have a digital signal processor, what else could it do?" thing. Having some reverb on a box that is meant to be used with headphones too makes sense, and then you quickly end up "hey, what about having one more effect" type situations.

If anything the built in fx certainly elevate it a bit above the competition since it now competes a bit better with say a HX Stomp instead of playing in the Strymon/UA/Walrus etc amp/cab sim category.

Not for me. I think those 4 blocks are gold if you need a little do-it-all unit.

Defenitely. Depending on how they organized the handling (didn't look into the manual so far, too friggin' sick atm, goddamn Covid plague...), this could pretty easily serve for smaller gigs, would make up for a killer gigbag rig and what not. I can easily see this to rival, say, an HX Stomp regarding that. And in case the BT connection is fast and solid, you could even go as far as to dedicate a small 2nd hand tablet to the unit (it's just an extra 50 bucks), even if I personally would still prefer at least a small screen (just displaying preset and tweaked parameter names).

Defenitely. Depending on how they organized the handling (didn't look into the manual so far, too friggin' sick atm, goddamn Covid plague...), this could pretty easily serve for smaller gigs, would make up for a killer gigbag rig and what not. I can easily see this to rival, say, an HX Stomp regarding that. And in case the BT connection is fast and solid, you could even go as far as to dedicate a small 2nd hand tablet to the unit (it's just an extra 50 bucks), even if I personally would still prefer at least a small screen (just displaying preset and tweaked parameter names).
Those are exactly my thoughts. Regarding the second hand tablet... well, even an old Android phone (I guess We all have sevaral ones lying around... aren´t We?) just for that task can do the trick. However, I still think that some crappy screen would have been enough to give some visual info.

since it now competes a bit better with say a HX Stomp

I'd say that once you know your patches and used FX, it might be easier to deal with than the Stomp in some situations.

But then, otoh, they ditched one of the most excellent Kemper features, namely the endless encoders with LED readouts and replaced them with something that'll be as much of a chore to deal with as on, say, the Amplifirebox, namely 270° encoders without any indication of their used value.
Pretty much as if they were taking part in some "ok, let's do the dumbest thing ever" contest.

I'd say that once you know your patches and used FX, it might be easier to deal with than the Stomp in some situations.

But then, otoh, they ditched one of the most excellent Kemper features, namely the endless encoders with LED readouts and replaced them with something that'll be as much of a chore to deal with as on, say, the Amplifirebox, namely 270° encoders without any indication of their used value.
Pretty much as if they were taking part in some "ok, let's do the dumbest thing ever" contest.
I believe it uses the row of LEDs in the middle to show stored and maybe current value with different colors. I think that's a decent alternative.

I believe it uses the row of LEDs in the middle to show stored and maybe current value with different colors. I think that's a decent alternative.

Yeah, uhm, maybe - so you'd have to move the knob first? And is there a sort of "grace movement area", so you don't actually alter the value but just bring the knob into "let's see the parameter value" mode? Nah, that wouldn't even work with non-endless encoders.
At least in comparison with LED rings and endless encoders, anything I could imagine would be a p*sspoor solution.

Yeah, uhm, maybe - so you'd have to move the knob first? And is there a sort of "grace movement area", so you don't actually alter the value but just bring the knob into "let's see the parameter value" mode? Nah, that wouldn't even work with non-endless encoders.
At least in comparison with LED rings and endless encoders, anything I could imagine would be a p*sspoor solution.

Can’t remember off the top of my head, but I saw something in the manual about a way to see the current value of each control represented on the LEDs without changing the value

Just ‘push in on the knob’ I believe was the instruction.

Yeah, just been reading that section. Not too bad (maybe the best solution for that kinda hardware), but lightyears behind what you get on the larger units, at least IMO. If I had the choice, I'd easily pay an extra 50-100 bucks for endless encoders and dedicated LEDs (and that would certainly cover the parts cost).

Guess I should read the manual then.
Stumptown GIF by ABC Network

This really needs an LCD screen. I like that the tuner can be assigned to the expression pedal heel down though.

Back