Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

The top row of switches are hard to access from all I've read so it wouldn't be a loss in that regard. As well as the general consensus of the effects quality.
Routing flexibility would be the only real loss. As with Helix Floor etc. you can process an entire band with a QC preset. (Well... a small band... if you had to.) A “dual cortex” would be be better suited to a single guitar path.

Last edited:
How many posts does it take to go from being excited about a new modeler to deciding it's complete and utter shit?

Owl GIF by Zack Kantor
I’d sooner measure in units of time, and to be fair, the clock started ticking at least 5 years ago.

But I’m not dismissing this product at all; I think it’s great for people who are already dug in and happy with their Kemper sounds. Comparisons to ToneX are pointless IMO, since Kemper effects are on an entirely different level than ToneX’s “compression” and “reverb”. The promo docs say the player is compatible with full Rigs from the bigger products, but I don’t know how to square that with 2x FX controls on the player? And if those controls are for loops, it seems weird that the player would have more loops than the toaster, etc?

Lastly, price and form factor… The price difference between this and a used toaster may be a little thin, but we have to assume the player will get cheaper (especially used) as well. For now, it sells to people who *want* something small. If anything (and if I were interested) I’d wish it were smaller.

Everyone needs something the size of the Stomp with the equivalent to their brand functionality.
For $200.

But the main problem isn’t cost, it’s dealing with UI and I/O restrictions with so little real estate.

QC (also not a non-sequitur!) is small enough for me. But I need 4 of them because I’m too lazy to keep carrying mine around. :D

As is well known I am a *massive* Kemper LP fan ..... but I just saw this and if I'm not mistaken there is *no* Midi In or Midi Out ?!?!?!?!?!?

I dont often say this about Kemper ..... but w.t.a.f !!!!

And i.m.h.o ... given what it doesnt have .... that US$699 price *seems* very-very-very-awfully high (?)

Maybe Im missing something ... but this seems to be / feel like a major "swing and miss"".

Ben

As is well known I am a *massive* Kemper LP fan ..... but I just saw this and if I'm not mistaken there is *no* Midi In or Midi Out ?!?!?!?!?!?

I dont often say this about Kemper ..... but w.t.a.f !!!!

And i.m.h.o ... given what it doesnt have .... that US$699 price *seems* very-very-very-awfully high (?)

Maybe Im missing something ... but this seems to be / feel like a major "swing and miss"".

Ben
Benster, there is discussion of MIDI over USB stuff somewhere in what has been released - on the product page or in the videos.

No display at all is a real bummer. If anything, what I always liked with the Kempers was their super easy to get into onboard UI. Without even the patch/profile name present, this thing pretty much requires a constant connection to whatever editor (well ok, maybe not when playing live).

The omission of a display is a bold statement - product management very probably sees this as a strictly set-and-forget unit, just as putting "Player" in the name implies.

And I can only repeat what others have said: The price seems steep.

Which doesn't mean there's no market for this - I'm sure sale numbers will be alright, and many folks will enjoy this, some with no previous Kemper experience, but I guess the majority will be people who want to leave their Kempers at home, and are looking for a board-friendly solution that's better than ToneX. 😉

I read somewhere in Kemper´s promo or webpage that it´s compatible... within the 4 fx blocks limitation.
And provided the rigs in question don’t use any of the algorithms that have been omitted in the Player?

I’m also a little confused about this 4x limitation (which is a major caveat, by the way.) Don’t the big Kemper’s have 4 pre slots and 4 post slots?

Strictly curious. I won’t be spending another $600+ on Kemper at this point. :)

Last edited:
The manual clearly states it manages 2 pre and 2 post fx blocks. So it´s clear that the supposed compatibility with normal rigs is just half-true (or half false).
It’s still a lot of functionality in this form factor, but being able to universally share rigs back and forth would have been more elegant. You have to wonder what the cost difference would have been. Maybe it was a UI issue, given Kemper’s penchant for discrete physical buttons, etc.

Back