Soldano Astro 20

One other note on this - it's gotta be a fact that Soldano gets 100% of his voicing from the pre-amp.
There is no way in hell a pair of 6V6s are supposed to sound like this - Jebus! :headbang

One other note on this - it's gotta be a fact that Soldano gets 100% of his voicing from the pre-amp.
There is no way in hell a pair of 6V6s are supposed to sound like this - Jebus! :headbang

There is an interview with him and Dave Friedman and he talks about this specifically.

This amp sounds like a winner to me for home studios, I might start saving :)

Head is bigger and more stout than I imagined.

Figure everyone is familiar with the size of a Friedman 20 watter by now.

20240105_142146.jpg

Have to note a very cool aspect of the whole BAD umbrella. Both amps have the same rubber feet, handle, tolex, and lots of visible hardware. Gotta assume the enclosure wood is the same too.
Buying in bulk = decent MRSP pricing for us! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf
Yeah I guess. I’d be looking for some traditional SLO’y knobs. :D

Found one place selling official Soldano knobs with the little cap on them.
The Astro has 11 = $60 + shipping....

Black Friedman knobs it is! I have one and the other 10 cost about $10.
Plus the style really works with a busy front panel. Dave F's no dummy.

20240105_170623.jpg

Last edited:
Try the Astro , a few posts I have seen with people having both prefer the Astro , go
Figure 🤔

Have seen the same thing and in a couple cases the person saying it seemed honestly surprised at their own conclusion!

20240107_155910.jpg

GREAT AMP but I can not f*king wait to ditch the knobs.

Nice little comparison of the Astro and both the SLO 30 and 100. To me the 30 sounds the most SLO with the way the mids respond to playing, and how forward they are. But the Astro sounds fantastic in its own right, no better or worse.

I’ve got to stop watching Astro vids. I don’t know why it surprises me it hangs and has all the classic SLO character. lol

I kinda want a SLO again, but primarily for the clean channel. lol :bag (The gainy stuff is just a bonus)

Back