NU METAL

I loved nu-metal. I was 12 or 13 in 1999 and instead of buying Significant Other I mistakenly bought Three Dollar Bill (Limp Bizkit's first album) and took it on a road trip and really dug it. Then Korn, Linkin Park, RATM (why has no one mentioned RATM), System of A Down, Slipknot, all these bands that were so unique yet lumped into this Nu Metal category came into my view at the time.

Last edited:
I’m triggered!

If they never released Animosity, I’d agree with this, but that one album, their best IMO, was ripped off by so many bands that came after. These guys were doing 4-chords and the truth for choruses before all the other heavy bands started doing it, namely fucking Breaking Benjamin who is nothing but Sevendust-lite.

And no charisma? Man, Lajon is one of the most charismatic frontmen to come out of that whole era. Every band those guys took out on tour will tell you the same thing “We shit our pants when we had to follow Sevendust”, their live shows, even to this day, are so full of energy that you can’t not have a good time. Those dudes are legit songwriters before anything else.

I don’t know of too many 50-year old dudes putting on shows like this night after night!

This whole album is banger after banger, killer tones and playing and I LOVE the mix on it.

Mudvayne is one of my all time favorite bands just because the first two albums. Those are 100% prog-nu-metal albums and I was bummed when I heard Chad recently saying his favorite stuff is their 3.5 minute singles. That band was so on their own during that time and while I dig some of the shorter, catchy tunes,

Faaaaack!! I saw Sevendust open for Creed at a bar called Seville Quarter in Pensacola in like....96? They opened with Black and absolutely crushed. The place went bonkers. That was the heaviest shit I'd ever seen live to that point.

This says Vai all day long. Legacy, bad horsie, and 7 string Ibanez..... hahaha....also, Steve is a favorite of mine ..I mean, he played with Frank!

For sure! I’ve been a Vai fanboy since I was 14 and rolled a shitload of burritos for that rig! The later in my teen years I got, I started playing heavier music and I was starting to want a little identity of my own. So I did what no one else did in the late 90’s/early 00’s and got a Dual Rec to play that 7-string through. :rofl

You consider Therapy? Nu Metal? That is a very interesting classification....I would have said alternative....but I am old. They were coming out when I was in high school in the 1990s....so maybe I am missing something.

No offense meant, just thought it interesting...the take.
I’ve never understood the subgenres that are distinctions without differences. Like neosoul is soul with a rimshot instead of a snare. All sounds the same to me.

I guess i consider them the best of what nu metal should have been or something.

NGL, I largely skipped over this genre. The only band I put in some serious listening time that might fit this criteria would be 311. That was very early 90's. I guess Faith No More is another.
But most of the ones mentioned in OP I glazed over. :sofa

NGL, I largely skipped over this genre. The only band I put in some serious listening time that might fit this criteria would be 311. That was very early 90's. I guess Faith No More is another.
But most of the ones mentioned in OP I glazed over. :sofa
same. I basically tuned out of popular stuff in the 1990s. I was heavily into Skinny Puppy. I advise everyone to skip their live shows if you don’t want nightmares.

311 was another i did like. Well, when they weren’t being preachy douchebags, I liked them.

same. I basically tuned out of popular stuff in the 1990s.
I can relate. Probably after '95 I started to lose interest in a lot of the current popular music. I was knee deep at the time playing cleaner and funky stuff, jam rock, more 70's and 80's vibe kind of thing.

Even 311 lost my interest after they had gotten more popular on the radio.

I’ve never understood the subgenres that are distinctions without differences. Like neosoul is soul with a rimshot instead of a snare. All sounds the same to me.

I guess i consider them the best of what nu metal should have been or something.
Im not a huge classification nut. Just surprised, wildly, by your classification...no biggy.

They are different, for sure ... I would have a hard time calling them metal at all ....but they came out internationally in the early 90s, like contemporary with popular faith no more.

Nu metal, in my dumb un important opinion...nope.

But. I'm just happy that there are people still talking about them. Because they are awesome, and important.

Thank you.

No Snot....Amen?

I know there was no rap ...but when metal sucked Vision of Disorder (more hardcore, but they shared stages)

Ummmmm System of a Down....

Powerman 5000 before they sucked....

So many good ones left unnamed.

Anyone remember Spineshank?

Genres are there for lazy people to label something. :LOL:
For sales persons....

I have had this convo so many times over the years.

I've deducted that those raised in the late 80 into the 90s, are more willing to listen to everything and despise classifications, thus leading to kitchen sink genre types, like nu metal.

I love all types of music, and love to fuse them ...so I believe this led to that.

When I went to local and semi local shows in my youth, they represented a wide gamut of styles ...every night ....and the scenes all mingled and got along. I miss that.

My community even had a local public access local music spot light show where they played taped performances, so cool.

Thank you Take No Prisoners

Last edited:
For sales persons....

I have had this convo so many times over the years.

I've deducted that those raised in the late 80 into the 90s, are more willing to listen to everything and despise classifications, thus leading to kitchen sink genre types, like nu metal.

I love all types of music, and love to fuse them ...so I believe this led to that.

When I went to local and semi local shows in my youth, they represented a wide gamut of styles ...every night ....and the scenes all mingles and got along. I miss that.
100% marketing for sure. I get it, it's easier to condense it down for people to digest. One thing is for sure, the late 80's through mid 90's had some very eclectic music like you said, that's extremely hard to categorize. IMO, later "Nu metal" was missing something for me.

(sorry @MirrorProfiles , not trying to derail)

Therapy? Is like your favorite pop-punk band making "metal" records. In the absolute best of ways :love
Unrelated....I took this pic of you the other day ...in my yard ....

Screenshot_20240806-190429_Gallery.jpg

Back