NU METAL

Clouds Over California is my spirit animal :satan
aggressive as fuck. Some killer riffs and production on both of those devildriver albums

That one is from the second album, right? Good stuff, although I actually like the less thrashy debut album more.
Tried listening to Coal Chamber again a while back, could not vibe with it at all. Devildriver were miles better

Korn are the GOAT of Nu Metal. It’s virtually impossible to understate how influential they were, almost to the point that you could draw a line in modern metal before their debut and after. I always loved the fact that they flexed it too, naming their albums “Follow The Leader”, “Untouchables” etc. These days I rarely listen to them. I really have to be in a specific mood to listen to them now, but they are definitely legends of the genre, an in a lot of ways I think they got better with each album early in their career. Untouchables is my favorite album by them.

I never really considered Deftones Nu Metal at the time, but that’s probably because they went off in their own direction pretty early. I considered them some form of Mood Metal. Either way, I think they are one of the best heavy bands to ever do it, and they for sure are one of my biggest influences and inspirations. Their music is so intertwined to moments and periods of my life that I’ll always hold them in the highest regard.

I kind of slept on Incubus at the time, but they are one of my favorite bands of the era now. They are great songwriters. Just so many well crafted, and well performed songs. My wife and I thoroughly embarrass our kids with some carpool karaoke anytime Warning comes on :ROFLMAO:

I would have never thought in a million years Slipknot would go on to become my generations Metallica after hearing their debut album. But, those dudes earned every bit of shine they would ever go on to get after Iowa and Subliminal Verses. Those are just brilliant albums. Brutal, catchy, and total bangers from top to bottom.

1723062310367.gif

Untouchables is my favorite album by them.
I remember being SO pumped to hear the album, then heard the leak and thought “this can’t be it”. And then the album was released, and Alone I Break was on there 🤮

I've never listened to this. Apparently for good reason :rofl :rofl :rofl

need another thread of “bands who weren’t nu metal but tried to do it on an album”. Slayer, Machine Head….

I remember being SO pumped to hear the album, then heard the leak and thought “this can’t be it”. And then the album was released, and Alone I Break was on there 🤮

need another thread of “bands who weren’t nu metal but tried to do it on an album”. Slayer, Machine Head….
I've always heard about this album but never sat down to listen to it. There was a thread on that Vanilla Ice Nu album the other day on FB :cry: :LOL:

Yeah that song sucks. :ROFLMAO:

I love so much of that album though. Make Believe, Hating, Beat It Upright etc. It’s definitely of an era for me.

Yeah that song sucks. :ROFLMAO:

I love so much of that album though. Make Believe, Hating, Beat It Upright etc. It’s definitely of an era for me.
definitely a lot of positive memories for me of that album too - and it still sounds like a million bucks. I saw some recent video of Jonathan Davies falling for all kinds of snake oil audiophile bullshit and he was using Untouchables as his reference point. Cool that they know how fucking good it sounds too.

My favourite Korn albums were Follow The Leader and Issues growing up, still LOVE the sound of those too. Brendan O Brien just has a magic touch.

definitely a lot of positive memories for me of that album too - and it still sounds like a million bucks. I saw some recent video of Jonathan Davies falling for all kinds of snake oil audiophile bullshit and he was using Untouchables as his reference point. Cool that they know how fucking good it sounds too.

My favourite Korn albums were Follow The Leader and Issues growing up, still LOVE the sound of those too. Brendan O Brien just has a magic touch.

Yeah Issues is awesome. That three album run of FTL, Issues, and Untouchables is stellar. Dudes were on fire those first five albums.

I LOVED that first American Head Charge album, shame they were one of those bands that thrived on being self destructive and burned themselves out too quick

Indeed. This was the last thing I had heard about the singer. (I know it says guitarist, but it's the singer)

One of my favourite nu metal bands. Guitar World magazine had them described as Incubus meets Tool, which admittedly got me curious.

Unfortunately the band folded after one album, but that album rules. The guitarist ended up playing bass on Daron Malakian's other band for a bit and had his own one man project, which is pretty cool too.

Bro, this is me in like 1999.

Frosted tips- Check
7-string tuned to A- Check
Big ass pants surprisingly not ADIDAS snap pants or JNCO’s— Check
Band w/ a singer and a rapper— Check

View attachment 26143

This ain’t no joke. :rofl
This says Vai all day long. Legacy, bad horsie, and 7 string Ibanez..... hahaha....also, Steve is a favorite of mine ..I mean, he played with Frank!

Therapy? was probably the best Nu Metal. Maybe Wondermilk was tied for first.
You consider Therapy? Nu Metal? That is a very interesting classification....I would have said alternative....but I am old. They were coming out when I was in high school in the 1990s....so maybe I am missing something.

No offense meant, just thought it interesting...the take.

One of my favourite nu metal bands. Guitar World magazine had them described as Incubus meets Tool, which admittedly got me curious.

Unfortunately the band folded after one album, but that album rules. The guitarist ended up playing bass on Daron Malakian's other band for a bit and had his own one man project, which is pretty cool too.

Love Pulse Ultra.

Back