NU METAL

weird that in the original run of Nu Metal, we couldn’t really pull it off as good as the Americans. Were too introverted, cynical and afraid of drawing attention to ourselves which is like, anti-Fred Durst.

Seem to be faring better on this resurgence for whatever reason

weird that in the original run of Nu Metal, we couldn’t really pull it off as good as the Americans. Were too introverted, cynical and afraid of drawing attention to ourselves which is like, anti-Fred Durst.

Seem to be faring better on this resurgence for whatever reason
Are you saying that Brits aren't extroverted? (Dumbly assumes you're British...if so where? I have an old friend named Simon, from Barnsley.)

My time in the service begs to differ, y'all bonkers.....hahahaha

Last edited:
Are you saying that Brits aren't extroverted? (Dumbly assumes your British...if so where? I have an old friend named Simon, from Barnsley.)

My time in the service begs to differ, y'all bonkers.....hahahaha
I am, although based off anyone I’ve met in our military I probably wouldn’t assume that they’re an accurate cross section of our society 😂

There’s a certain kind of “college bro” associated with nu metal that we just can’t pull off. We have our own kind of garish lout that we excel at - Oasis are a fine example.

I am, although based off anyone I’ve met in our military I probably wouldn’t assume that they’re an accurate cross section of our society 😂

There’s a certain kind of “college bro” associated with nu metal that we just can’t pull off. We have our own kind of garish lout that we excel at - Oasis are a fine example.
I will be diplomatic and just say that within all these groups, are imposters and that we are all more alike than we realize.

As an American whom kind of had to apologize for America a lot, while overseas... sometimes I think people everywhere fail to see nuance and over generalize, all over the world.

All of the statements could be viewed as true, but I would also say that is what some want to be true. Not representative of the truth.

I've met the type of people that you're referring to everywhere, from all cultures.

Most nu metal people aren't college bro at all ...quite the opposite. Also, having met and played on more than one British Military vessel....had nothing but the best time, with amazing people. Germans party harder though, sorry.

The one thing that binds us all ...music. And I'd rather unite, than divide....we can all be Nu Metal...fuckit.... guess what... Therapy? Is now nu metal....there....hahahaha.

Just trying to add a positive perspective... whatever that means.

Much love y'all

I will be diplomatic and just say that within all these groups, are imposters and that we are all more alike than we realize.

As an American whom kind of had to apologize for America a lot, while overseas... sometimes I think people everywhere fail to see nuance and over generalize, all over the world.

All of the statements could be viewed as true, but I would also say that is what some want to be true. Not representative of the truth.

I've met the type of people that you're referring to everywhere, from all cultures.

Most nu metal people aren't college bro at all ...quite the opposite. Also, having met and played on more than one British Military vessel....had nothing but the best time, with amazing people. Germans party harder though, sorry.

The one thing that binds us all ...music. And I'd rather unite, than divide....we can all be Nu Metal...fuckit.... guess what... Therapy? Is now nu metal....there....hahahaha.

Just trying to add a positive perspective... whatever that means.

Much love y'all
Oh, I don't disagree - sweeping generalisations are never accurate. I just mean, at the time our best bands in that kind of style were watered down versions of what the US was sending over here. A, One Minute Silence, Hundred Reasons were like our equivalents and even though they were cool in their own right, none of them quite hit like Limp Bizkit/Korn/Linkin Park

Oh, I don't disagree - sweeping generalisations are never accurate. I just mean, at the time our best bands in that kind of style were watered down versions of what the US was sending over here. A, One Minute Silence, Hundred Reasons were like our equivalents and even though they were cool in their own right, none of them quite hit like Limp Bizkit/Korn/Linkin Park
It's cool...I understand..not familiar with those bands ..but now I will check them out.

Keep it on 11! 🤘

Im not a huge classification nut. Just surprised, wildly, by your classification...no biggy.

They are different, for sure ... I would have a hard time calling them metal at all ....but they came out internationally in the early 90s, like contemporary with popular faith no more.

Nu metal, in my dumb un important opinion...nope.

But. I'm just happy that there are people still talking about them. Because they are awesome, and important.

Thank you.
Was anyone actually using the term “nu metal” back then or is it retcon?

Nu-metal is what convinced me that everything other than a PRS into a Dual Rectifier is incorrect. Same goes for Warwick bases.

Pretty sure the bands in the day let their 14-year-old cousins handle lyric writing, though. "I'm falling/bleeding/drowning - I'm in so much pain - More than I can explain - I'll never be the same - I'm breaking I'm breaking down I'm breaking down I'm breaking down I'm breaking down I'm brea...."

(Insert gunshot sound)

My ultimate goal in life is to create something that's like kinda nu-metal (well really more alt-metal) crossed with prog, something like Helmet meets Porcupine Tree. Well...more like finish the album that's been in the works since "Weapons of Mass Destruction" was a thing.

Also I miss cargo khakis.

Was anyone actually using the term “nu metal” back then or is it retcon?
Magazines and ads ....not anyone I knew ....oddly enough, we called Deftones new West Coast Hardcore....and metal wasn't what it was, or is now ....and to be honest, by the time it was coined, I didn't listen to any new material. A lot of those bands, first album was all you needed.

Magazines and ads ....not anyone I knew ....oddly enough, we called Deftones new West Coast Hardcore....and metal wasn't what it was, or is now ....and to be honest, by the time it was coined, I didn't listen to any new material. A lot of those bands, first album was all you needed.

Yeah, Deftones initially were considered a hardcore band in my circles, and they toured with bands like Bad Brains, Orange 9mm etc.

It wasn’t until their second album, Around The Fur, when they drifted into more metal crowds.

Its awesome to see how their style and music progressed over time, and how they ended up gaining so much respect from such a wide group of people and fanbases.

Yeah, Deftones initially were considered a hardcore band in my circles, and they toured with bands like Bad Brains, Orange 9mm etc.

It wasn’t until their second album, Around The Fur, when they drifted into more metal crowds.

Its awesome to see how their style and music progressed over time, and how they ended up gaining so much respect from such a wide group of people and fanbases.
Love both those bands ...the Quickness is an underrated album....Orange 9mm was badass too ...before that one album ...
Also. I just remembered quicksand....man they were great ....

Back