NU METAL

I’m imagining lyrics about bongs, strippers and hoes

I have no clue wtf they were singin’ about, but out of those 3 things I know bongs were the only thing the singers could actually write about. :rofl

The drummer in that pic is one of the same buddies I spent the last two weeks with going to the Metallica shows with, we both remember one chorus from those days, the clean singer would “sing” “So special so special” while he screamer would gurgle “OH NO YOU’RE NAAAAAAWWWWT” over the top. Good fucking times.

Bro, this is me in like 1999.

Frosted tips- Check
7-string tuned to A- Check
Big ass pants surprisingly not ADIDAS snap pants or JNCO’s— Check
Band w/ a singer and a rapper— Check

View attachment 26143

This ain’t no joke. :rofl

Well, we all lived through some strange times in the late 90s... evidently I was not into Nu Metal. ;)
Corpsepaint.jpeg

SCIENCE definitely lends a hand in the nu-metal territory-

PRS- Check
Dual Rec- Check
DJ— Check

Just take away the rap-influenced vocals and replace them with RHCP—influenced vocals (but someone who can actually sing) and blam, you got yourself an Incubus.

Saw them open for Korn on the Follow The Leader tour, Brandon still had the big ass dreds, I knew that band was going to be huge just by the crowd response. That was the first time I saw a new band really blow away an audience being the opener.

PRS- Check
Dual Rec- Check
DJ— Check

Just take away the rap-influenced vocals and replace them with RHCP—influenced vocals (but someone who can actually sing) and blam, you got yourself an Incubus.

Saw them open for Korn on the Follow The Leader tour, Brandon still had the big ass dreds, I knew that band was going to be huge just by the crowd response. That was the first time I saw a new band really blow away an audience being the opener.
:chef

I saw Korn a number of times back in their prime and they slayed those grooves \m/

This side of Incubus for me was where minds were blown on a deeper level

For sure. I need to revisit that album.

They were opening for Primus on that tour, I saw them w/ Buckethead opening. Brandon says at one point “We got a new video for this next song coming out next week, it’s called “Drive” and that was probably the last week those guys were ever concerned about their bank accounts. :rofl

It was Morning View that turned me into an even bigger fan. That album got so much playtime during that period, especially once “Are You In?” was our secret code for “wanna go get baked?”

This side of Incubus for me was where minds were blown on a deeper level

banger. stuff like this simply wouldn’t have existed if it wasn’t for korn, kind of why their influence can’t be overstated. I went from loving korn as a kid, to thinking they’re crap because they don’t shred, to realising they’re top of that nu metal pile and for everything they lack as a band, they had something very rare and unique that any band of accomplished musicians would kill for. creativity and innovation trumps all

Only thing I ever shied away from in Korn is Fieldy's tone. I get it; but it was just too far out of my wheelhouse. David Silveria was KILLER. Abe Cunningham, in his own way; is one of my favorite drummers from that era as well.

I am going to STFU and pay attention closely to a genre I have never enjoyed. :beer

Always open to having my mind altered and my biases and preferences challenged.

Ok, that's a lie, but it does sound good and makes me seem more open-minded to
myself than I actually am. :rofl

PRS- Check
Dual Rec- Check
DJ— Check

I can't begin to reconsider Nu Metal until you first stop with all these lies about Incubus. :hmm

:ROFLMAO:

Only thing I ever shied away from in Korn is Fieldy's tone. I get it; but it was just too far out of my wheelhouse. David Silveria was KILLER. Abe Cunningham, in his own way; is one of my favorite drummers from that era as well.
I had a buddy who worked on a few Korn albums, and everything that Brendan O Brien said in his Beato interview (and didn’t say if you read between the lines 👀) about Fieldy checks out.

Genuinely wonder how much of the bass playing on the albums is him (and not replayed or HEAVILY edited into a performance). I only checked out Fieldy’s Dreams recently, but that tells you all you need to know about him.

Bro, this is me in like 1999.

Frosted tips- Check
7-string tuned to A- Check
Big ass pants surprisingly not ADIDAS snap pants or JNCO’s— Check
Band w/ a singer and a rapper— Check

View attachment 26143

This ain’t no joke. :rofl
Are those tan or gray pants? :grin

When I actually wore pants for work, pre-2018 when I had to go in an office a few times a week - I actually wore tan khakis, but I had no idea they had a stigma lmao. Wore black and gray, too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, Wiki is like if you had heavy guitar elements in ANY song and your band
released material between 1990 and 2010 you were "Nu Metal."

Face Think GIF by Discovery Europe

Back