• Total voters

Stone

Rock Star
Another Stone wants to know edition

What is it you Like about Nu-Metal?
Or What is it that you don't like ?

:beer

Yay with caveats.

I love the incorporation of some hip hop elements when done right. I think the huge grooves are probably my favorite thing. The dynamics some of the best bands utilize is a great aspect as well.

The worst thing is I think the C tier bands of nu metal (and being loose with the genre definition overall) are some of the worst C tier bands you could imagine vs. say, thrash or other C tiers in other aggressive styles of rock/metal that are still kick ass despite not being anywhere near the best of their chosen style.

I used to hate it with a passion.

Korn and Deftones were on their way up at the same time I was getting hardcore into Dream Theater after already being a Vai fanboy, I was just moving in a totally opposite direction. When Korn put out Follow The Leader my drummer at the time wouldn't shut up about the album or the band and made me take his CD home. Once I heard those songs with headphones and hearing the guitars mixed as well as they are on that album, it was the chorus of "Freak On A Leash" that drew me in. Faith No More drums and a wall of heavy ass guitars? Hell yeah.

But I was slow to it. Korn was the only band I could get into. I used to laugh at Slipknot and refer to Jordison's kick drums as 'ghetto kicks' for some reason. When Linkin Park came out and I saw the video premier for "One Step Closer" I laughed my ass off at the TV because I thought for sure they were an industry plant, curated just for the times.

Mudvayne was another band I laughed at when I first heard "Dig" but they turned out to be in my top 5 bands of all time just for 2 albums they released. nu-prog-metal.

Now I love it. There's a ton of shit from that era we got to rehash in MIrror's Dual Rec tones thread that really drove home how much I love that shit.

Yes a lot of Nu-Metal was Boogie exclusive for the most part

1705759087815.png

Another Stone wants to know edition

What is it you Like about Nu-Metal?
Or What is it that you don't like ?

:beer
What classifies as nu metal
If it Soundgarden , limp bizkit
Korn -no not really

Nickelback , Shinedown
Creed - yes some of it
Or is that post grunge 🤔

You have a really weird thing for not liking amazing vocalists. I'm not surprised that two you don't like both sang for STP. :rofl
Agreed I like some Linkin Park and think he was a solid singer , but man what I tortured soul , it’s funny now when I hear the songs and concentrate on the lyrics
The end of the story is not surprising

What current Nu-metal band would be considered to be at the top of the heap ?
Maybe I haven’t given the genre a fair shake.

You have a really weird thing for not liking amazing vocalists. I'm not surprised that two you don't like both sang for STP. :rofl
You know me. I am very (idiotically) specific about my likes and dislikes :bag:ROFLMAO:. Chester (srsly; who the fuck sticks with the name Chester when they are a world famous lead singer :wat:poop:) is absolutely one of those. No balls, whiny as fuck to my ears and processed beyond oblivion over top of music that puts me to sleep in the wrong ways.

I think he was a HORRIBLE choice for STP beyond that. Obviously; I am in the minority on this one :sofa:rofl

What current Nu-metal band would be considered to be at the top of the heap ?
Maybe I haven’t given the genre a fair shake.

Slipknot and Korn have been at the top of the heap for decades now. I think it's safe to say both those bands have a fairly equal draw and have no problems selling out arenas, which is pretty impressive considering how much of a joke nu metal was to the masses when it first came out.
Whether or not those bands still sound like nu-metal as we knew it in the late 90's is subjective, they've both, IMO, progressed as time has gone on.

You know me. I am very (idiotically) specific about my likes and dislikes :bag:ROFLMAO:. Chester (srsly; who the fuck sticks with the name Chester when they are a world famous lead singer :wat:poop:) is absolutely one of those. No balls, whiny as fuck to my ears and processed beyond oblivion over top of music that puts me to sleep in the wrong ways.

I think he was a HORRIBLE choice for STP beyond that. Obviously; I am in the minority on this one :sofa:rofl

That was actually my gripe with him when I first heard him. I thought he was perfect for angry 14 year olds. :rofl That's part of the reason I thought they were a plant!!!

That was around the time I started taking singing seriously and once I understood what he was doing technique wise my outlook changed immensely. Like James LaBrie, the tone of the voice may not be pleasing, but what they've done with their range and technical capabilities is really, really above a majority of singers. LaBrie obviously, but Chester had plenty of his own things.

Nu metal was the thing when I was a preteen so, uh, yeah?

I couldn't see it as a younger lad, how much of it was a cringey clown show, but some of it was cool AF and stood the test of time. Now I see why people have a nostalgia for hair metal.

Back