NU METAL

I was thinking earlier today about what aspects of metal made it in to nu metal, and it I’d say if definitely comes from thrash.

Just remove any neoclassical twaddle, add some funk influence, drop the tuning. Enjoyed on that Korn doc that I posted earlier, Fieldy talking about Morbid Angel and how they wanted to add a bit of death metal but without the blast beats.

Im gonna go rock some “Pre Nu Metal” Mozart.
Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

So let it be written, so let it be done.

@la szum is right and I am wrong.

View attachment 26361
The Banger TV Metal family tree has some serious flaws and weird choices. Don't even get me started on "Swedish Extreme Metal".
Their genre live stream about Gothic Metal almost made me jump through the screen with rage. A genre that originated in Death & Doom Metal and incorporated Goth Rock as well as psychedelic elements of Pink Floyd... do you know which band they were actually trying to sell as the founders of the genre? Fucking Evanescence! They didn't even mention THE most important band and name giver of the Genre - Paradise Lost.

Last edited:
The Banger TV Metal family tree has some serious flaws and weird choices. Don't even get me started on "Swedish Extreme Metal".
Their genre video about Gothic Metal almost made me jump through the screen with rage. A genre that originated in Death & Doom Metal and incorporated Goth Rock as well as psychedelic elements of Pink Floyd... do you know which band they were actually trying to sell as the founders of the genre? Fucking Evanescence! They didn't even mention THE most important band and name giver of the Genre - Paradise Lost.

Well, just look at the bands it has under Metalcore!

So let it be written, so let it be done.

@la szum is right and I am wrong.

View attachment 26361
the definition of metalcore and NWOAM aged bad. New Wave of American Metal always sounded like an odd name to group those bands, but I do remember it being used before Metalcore rightfully took its place. I seem to think bands like Trivium/Shadows Fall/Lamb of God falling into it which maybe makes (slightly) more sense than the rest.

Not sure I’d ever really seen their definition of “metalcore” although i’m sure the term was used prior to KSE/AILD/Unearth etc.

was this the real continuation/evolution of nu metal?

like in a lot of ways, it feels more inspired/innovative/creative than a ton of metal and rock that came from nu metal.

This song is really not THAT far removed from something Limp Bizkit would have done. The metal stuff generally turned into metalcore, the more groove/funk/production orientated stuff probably went in this direction.

I actually think its a bit of a shame that this kind of music didn't feed back into inspiring metal, when it had a clear influence from it in the first place. Would be WAY more interesting to me than most of the resurgent nu metal bands that aren't really trying to do something that hasnt been done before.

same with this:

Last edited:
[...] That was the specific genre that made me realize that I had transitioned from an exuberant young man into a grumpy old fart.
That's what happened to me with Emo & Metalcore/Crabcore/Deathcore.
I just didn't get it. I love At The Gates, In Flames, Carcass etc. and I could hear similar riffing in Metalcore, but it just didn't have the same attitude and depth, it sounded kinda superficial and bland to me, as if something got lost in translation.

Last edited:
Super surprised at this :hmm :ROFLMAO:

It happens to every one of us. For my grandparents it was The Beatles. For my parents it was Judas Priest. For me, it’s Nu Metal. I think everybody can pinpoint that precise moment in time when they first hear a new genre of music (that is derivative of the music they grew up with and loved), and find themselves thinking “What the fuck is this horrible shit?”

Back