NPGD

unix-guy

Roadie
New Purple Guitar Day!

My wife was stressing because she couldn't find anything for me as a Christmas present. She says, "don't you have any guitar you're looking at?"

I said, "well, I've got about 20 on my watch list!" :)

Anyway, she told me that I should choose one and go for it. No need to tell me twice!

Submitted an offer and got a quick response at a nice price.

Hopefully it will arrive by Christmas, but we'll see.

This is my first Kiesel - a 2023 Delos.

IMG_0766.jpeg

I think it will fit in nicely with my purple Anderson Drop Top and my purple Suhr Modern ;)

Note that I posted this on the Fractal Forum, too. Sorry for spamming those in both places.

Reposting my comments from the Fractal Forums.

From Saturday:

Popped it out of the (very nice) soft case.

It was very close to being in tune which is positive for a non-locking floating trem guitar shipped from Michigan to California.

It looks amazing... The purple on white is very striking. And it's a pretty deep purple (smoke on the water... fire in the sky).

The neck feels comfy although I'll probably raise the action a smidge later.

The trem seems very smooth. No slop on the push-in bar and it stays in place.

Sounds and feels resonant unplugged.

At first I thought there was a small crack between the fretboard and the neck right near the nut, but on closer inspection it looks like the it's just the "seam" where the pieces are glued together.

Didn't plug it in. I just wanted to give it a once over to make sure there were no shipping mishaps.

Back into the case until Christmas!

From yesterday:
Ok... I to play tonight for about 90 minutes or so.

First reaction to plugged in tones with clean-ish sounds using the single coils (where I primarily play): very, very bright!

I normally keep the tone control at 10 (or maybe a smidge under).

I ended up turning down to about 5-7 and still plenty of brightness. Most of my guitars would have the bass strings sounding very dull with the tone knob like that but not the case here.

I'm planning to put my usual strings on it tomorrow to see what affect if any that has.

The bridge pickup sounds nice, too. Well balanced with the other pickups, which I wasn't expecting.

Playability overall is very nice.

The neck is nice - maybe a little thicker than the Charvel DK-24 and a little more shoulder. I wish the fretboard edges were rolled a little.

The neck finish feels almost bare to me.

No regrets!

Yeah, I'll spend more time with it before I decide if I need to try something else.

Also wondering if it might look better with black pickups...

I've fought over brightness in my main guitar now for so long; it just is a battle I deeply empathize with!

As far as looks go, I think it looks awesome!

I believe that the brightness may be related to the potentiometer values. Back when they were Carvin guitars that was a known concern. I don't know if they still use unconventional pot values, but it is worth checking.

I believe that the brightness may be related to the potentiometer values. Back when they were Carvin guitars that was a known concern. I don't know if they still use unconventional pot values, but it is worth checking.
Yes, I actually mentioned that as a possible cause over on my Fractal Forums thread.

When I change strings I'm going to pull the pickguard and investigate.

Back