Looking for a new main strat (Anderson Classic Alternatives?)

Gibson Murphy Lab is using something close but Fender Custom shop isn’t. I have sprayed DuPont NOS and it’s very different from what you see now. More brittle and fragile.
Yeah, I asked around town with some friends who work at guitar shops as well as a technician that gets the lionshare of my work.

Apparently Gibson production is basically using poly with a small amount of Nitro-base added to it so that the new guitars will check. They will not age the same way old-school guitars do.

Also, it was said to me that old Dupont cans float around of the vintage stuff--there's a video of someone spraying it--but it's basically illegal to do so in some states, and the EPA banned the production of several ingredients therefore making it basically impossible to get 60s nitro. Anything claiming to be that finish just shares a similar chemical makeup, but it's just not the same stuff.

Granted, some of them wear just the same as the old stuff does, but technically it's just similar. (poorly?)

It's also been made abundantly clear in MANY places and by MANY builders that Nitro doesn't really do anything for the sound that a thin poly finish doesn't do exactly the same. And even now--and this is coming from people I know locally who work on guitars for money (usually their living) most poly guitars are not sprayed on so thick that it's going to be a problem.

Back in the 90s I ran into a few cracked guitars from fender (2 that I recall specifically) where you could see straight through to bare wood. The finish was caked on very thickly. One was a Mexican P-Bass, and the other was a Strat, but I don't remember whether it was Squier/Mexico/USA. I think the companies have sort of got it under control now because it spreads like wildfire when someone's putting out sub-par stuff. The only time I hear about thick finishes now is weird Amazon brand guitars etc.

I want the Nitro for aesthetic reasons really. Never had the opportunity to own a vintage guitar, and being that I'm 39 and still not rich, I probably never will.

anecdotally, with regard to Murphy Lab specifically, I'm close enough to CME that it's where I got that Suhr I returned. I've played 5 or 6 Murphy labs Gibsons (and probably 5 or 6 more custom shops before Murphy Lab was a thing) Some of the relics they do are OK, some are cheesy, and it's clear they weren't using some process to heat and cool the finish to get checking on the cheesier ones--you could literally see the marks of a razor through the color and into the wood on this one white SG Custom they had. TBH, I'm not sure how that stuff ever passed QC, but I'm sure whoever wound-up with those guitars doesn't care so cheers.

Also worth mentioning, I have a friend locally who has several vintage Gibsons. They aren't in great shape, but it's wild to me how much more over-the-top people make relics look than your average vintage piece.

I have a very close friend (co-host of my podcast) who's a major Gibson fanboy, who's admitted to me that their relics are cheesy. Took him 2 years, but he finally did :D

Also not to exclude Fender, there's a lot of over the top fender relics floating around too, and I get that they sort of acknowledge they are definitely more wear than your average vintage guitar would have, I think the popularity of guitars like No. 1 and the Gallagher guitar sort of make it something people would desire more.

I can't really think of someone playing an SG or a Les Paul that's quite as battered.

anecdotally, with regard to Murphy Lab specifically, I'm close enough to CME that it's where I got that Suhr I returned. I've played 5 or 6 Murphy labs Gibsons (and probably 5 or 6 more custom shops before Murphy Lab was a thing) Some of the relics they do are OK, some are cheesy, and it's clear they weren't using some process to heat and cool the finish to get checking on the cheesier ones--you could literally see the marks of a razor through the color and into the wood on this one white SG Custom they had. TBH, I'm not sure how that stuff ever passed QC, but I'm sure whoever wound-up with those guitars doesn't care so cheers.

Also worth mentioning, I have a friend locally who has several vintage Gibsons. They aren't in great shape, but it's wild to me how much more over-the-top people make relics look than your average vintage piece.

I have a very close friend (co-host of my podcast) who's a major Gibson fanboy, who's admitted to me that their relics are cheesy. Took him 2 years, but he finally did :D
This is not representative at all. I see 50s Gibsons on a regular basis and many Murphy Lab guitars too . The vast majority of Murphy Lab guitars are light relics and look very similar to originals. Gibson never used razor blades to simulate cracks and usually if you see a poor relic on a Gibson is was done by someone else after the fact. I paint relic finishes regularly and the entire process is done to replicate age . You start with allowing the paint to sink to a degree and keep it thin.
Here is a Tele I did recently;
IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3066.jpeg

Original or Murphy?

I could do a whole forum on real or relic. I assure you that relic replica guitars these days by the best guys can fool anyone and do . Now the money is getting worth the time to do the details right .
IMG_2037.jpeg

Real or relic?
IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

These are exact repro decals. Way better than Fender custom shop use . Exactly the same process and materials as the original ones. Art from originals .

This is not representative at all. I see 50s Gibsons on a regular basis and many Murphy Lab guitars too . The vast majority of Murphy Lab guitars are light relics and look very similar to originals. Gibson never used razor blades to simulate cracks and usually if you see a poor relic on a Gibson is was done by someone else after the fact. I paint relic finishes regularly and the entire process is done to replicate age . You start with allowing the paint to sink to a degree and keep it thin.
Here is a Tele I did recently;
View attachment 17334
View attachment 17335
Original or Murphy?
Pretty sure CME wasn’t selling fake custom shops. If it wasn’t done with a razor, it still looked ridiculous.

That said, they make nice relics too—and that was before Murphy lab or at least right as that whole rebrand started.

Pretty sure CME wasn’t selling fake custom shops. If it wasn’t done with a razor, it still looked ridiculous.

That said, they make nice relics too—and that was before Murphy lab or at least right as that whole rebrand started.
All companies that have done this started out pretty bad. Which are the real ones in my post? Murphy Lab relics are some of the most realistic and Gibsons best ever work.

All companies that have done this started out pretty bad. Which are the real ones in my post? Murphy Lab relics are some of the most realistic and Gibsons best ever work.
yeah my buddy who's a big Gibson fan (podcast co-host) sent me a slew of videos where they talk about the older relics and stuff. Thing is, there are some awful ones floating around.

That's a perfect example of a guitar where I have NEVER seen real checking that looked like that. I have a friend who's a vintage collector and has some great pieces--but none of them have ever looked like that. Not even the rescued mid 50s lp junior he wound up restoring because it was completely unplayable in original condition.

I will agree the stuff they are doing now seems to be better, but I haven't seen a ton of it floating around honestly.

I'm guessing CME says to Gibson "give me all the really bad looking relics, please." I thought they looked awful, however the Fender CS Strats looked a lot better and more realistic, IMO.
Is the one I posted real or Murphy then if you think they aren't realistic. Granted they are a lot better at it now.

Back