Is a bit of struggle a good thing?

Well there is a right answer, if tough love breaks you it ain't what you should do as an occupation.
If that's what you believe, that's fine. But I think it makes no room for all the multitude of various personalities in the world.

Some people would be fine with being yelled and screamed at; Others would do well with being encouraged.
Just as some would persevere on a guitar with heavy-ass strings 1/4" off the fretboard, while others would progress faster using a guitar that gets out of their way.

I've had tons of people in my employ, and I've learned that everyone has to be treated differently.

If that's what you believe, that's fine. But I think it makes no room for all the multitude of various personalities in the world.

Some people would be fine with being yelled and screamed at; Others would do well with being encouraged.
Just as some would persevere on a guitar with heavy-ass strings 1/4" off the fretboard, while others would progress faster using a guitar that gets out of their way.

I've had tons of people in my employ, and I've learned that everyone has to be treated differently.
The most frustrating aspect of management, being a forensic psychologist and a therapist.

Or, like the management style where I'm at: "If you don't get pissed and start screaming, they aren't going to work hard." :facepalm
I have a good friend who is a drywall contractor, and the subs he has to deal with...., wow!

I heard him on the phone one time reading this guy the riot act, and I asked him why TF did he talk to that guy like that. He swore that's the only thing they understood.

Or, like the management style where I'm at: "If you don't get pissed and start screaming, they aren't going to work hard." :facepalm
1728939310368.gif

You can teach people to persevere without beating them down with 'tough love'.

One of the great benefits of teaching this way is you also get to teach people that when someone beats you down, it often isn't 'tough love'. It's just someone trying to beat you down. People behave this way for all sorts of reasons, none of them good.

Parker didn't need a cymbal tossed at his head to achieve greatness. We're all the better for the fact that he took it the way he did.
How do any of us know what Pop arker needed?
I taught university and the majority of my students went on to have careers in music.
Some needed tough love and some needed cuddling.
It the teachers job to figure out if he's gonna break some one or help them.

The generalized tough live is evil...yeah, it ain't.

Read my last reply above

I taught university and the majority of my students went on to have careers in music.

And if I wanna be a dick... Where have the guys being cuddled gotten to?

This whole thread ended up getting way more deep, serious, and emotionally charged than I thought it would

Feel like I tapped into some stronger feelings than I thought there would be about a topic like this
I usually happens and then it's all about the badge of honor "being pro"

Especially early on when you’re just starting to play, is it helpful to have to fight through limitations in gear a bit?
No. Not the gear.

I spend like 2 hours a day playing things I find difficult. Exercises. Weird scales.

After that I just play whatever I feel like playing. Making up riffs.

Well, there's a difference between tough love 'you need to put in the time or it isn't going to happen' and tough love 'tossing a cymbal at someone's head'.

The former is often a productive reality check. I'd had several students over the years benefit from that talk, one way or the other; ie. they got to work or they decided to be honest with themselves about how they spent their time.

No one needs the latter.

Back