New Metallica song "Lux Æterna"

Listened for a second time. Hammet's solo is still a little more slapdash than I had hoped. Really only critique (that actually applies to the song vs lack of bass on AJFA :rofl ) is the dumb title. Weird phrase to auto-tune yell as a chorus for an old metal band ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Trying too hard to be cool ("Hey look! We are still so much more than METAL!" :wat ) and sound intelligent when there is really no need. This ties in to the mindset of making an album with Lou Reed. There are ways to branch out but this shouldn't be one of them.

You're too old and too bitter. Not sorry. :LOL:

I do agree that the solo is definitely an hot mess.

Last edited:
This is the best fan service a band has done in a long time; not making us decide which show we’d rather go to and making the answer VERY clear!

And really, it’s a wise move on their part; they’ll sell out both the shows and fans of all ages will get what they want out of them.

FFDP is a big ole nope from me, even after seeing them live, Ice Nine was entertaining live but their music didn’t do much for me and they had so much sh*t playing on tracks I couldn’t tell what was live and what wasn’t.

Being a massive Pantera fan (even if that’s completely uncool in 2022, IDGAF) and really digging what Wolfie has been up to, it was a pretty easy decision to make. My buddy is grabbing a few tickets for the Foxboro show when they go on sale this weekend!

Don't think it doesn't have everything to do with their age and NOT wanting to get their asses pummeled 3 or 4 nights
a week with maybe a back to back thrown in there. No fucking way!

As soon as I saw the tour dates and arrangement I was like, "These guys have embraced their age, and have
accepted their limitations." I also think they want to enjoy it, and they have the luxury of being able to tour
and only do 2 nights per week while doing so, with no back-to-back dates.

I am jealous. ;)

sexy kirk hammett GIF

(It is)

Don't think it doesn't have everything to do with their age and NOT wanting to get their asses pummeled 3 or 4 nights
a week with maybe a back to back thrown in there. No f*****g way!

As soon as I saw the tour dates and arrangement I was like, "These guys have embraced their age, and have
accepted their limitations." I also think they want to enjoy it, and they have the luxury of being able to tour
and only do 2 nights per week while doing so, with no back-to-back dates.

I am jealous. ;)

Yeah, they've been doing the weekend warrior thing for a while now, I think that started back around the St. Anger days, it's also how they always seem to be on the road. Fly in for a weekend and fly back out, people do more traveling that for regular jobs and definitely not on private jets! They've certainly earned it, those guys have played a LOT of shows.

The up side is in 30 seconds you get all the well worn Kirk Hammet tropes. Wah, Pentatonic
Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs, leading to Bluesy double-stop bends, and culminating in WTF? :idk

Tell me that is not a Whammy Pedal dubbed in at 0:17 into the song, @DrewJD82 .

:banana

Yes this an Disposable Heroes are totally neck and neck.

:hmm :chef

I am great with Hammett in stuff where the music he's soloing over rips. See any of those early albums. His live work as well as Lars has been pretty damn good. Or well doctored in the live stuff I've watched over the past few years.

Yes this an Disposable Heroes are totally neck and neck.

:hmm :chef

I am great with Hammett in stuff where the music he's soloing over rips. See any of those early albums. His live work as well as Lars has been pretty damn good. Or well doctored in the live stuff I've watched over the past few years.

Has to be hard not to repeat yourself and become your own worst cliche at some point.
Eventually you run out of ideas, and then when you do, you go outside the box and write
songs that piss off your longest standing fanbase. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :idk

It's Hetfield's riffs and right hand that has always been the shining star in Metallica. It's
the Hand of God in Metal----to me. :rawk

I wasn't going to make this a Jason thread but that one is good though I like the mix on this one a bit better.

I guess I just like the extra clank more.

Oh sweet. I was just working on a Ampeg/B7K preset on my FM9. I was liking it, but now am gonna compare it with that bass tone.

What's up with that "non transferrable" 2-day pass?

I personally find it annoying. Busy enough in life to have an urge to see Metallica, no urge to see two nights of Metallica or any night of FFDP, and a HUGE urge to see both PhilRexZakkCharlieTera and Mammoth WVH.

The up side is in 30 seconds you get all the well worn Kirk Hammet tropes. Wah, Pentatonic
Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs, leading to Bluesy double-stop bends, and culminating in WTF? :idk

Tell me that is not a Whammy Pedal dubbed in at 0:17 into the song, @DrewJD82 .

:banana

Hahaha it sounds like someone just sliding a chord up and since James is doing exactly that in the vid, I’m gonna guess it’s that.

I think questioning any of those things in the context of a Kirk solo….comes with the territory, man! I only dug the solo cuz it has what I call a “f*ck it” section where he’s just dumping the bar and not really doing anything musical with it, I love that stuff, like the whammy stuff I did in the last song, there’s nothing really musical about it, it’s just screeching guitars sounding like they’re having a fit, or in this solo’s context, sounds like it wants to give up on life. :ROFLMAO: (In a good way)

I listened to it a couple times yesterday, overall doesn‘t blow me away and I kinda chuckled at James lyrics with more fast car references, but that’s what the dudes into, so I can’t really fault him for writing about sh*t he’s into. I’ve seen him catching slack over the vocals, I suppose I think of him the same way I do Maynard when people were bitching that Maynard wasn’t screaming on the last Tool album; I wouldn’t expect him to. The dude wrote lyrics for 20 years about moving past anger and figuring out his head, it’d be a pretty big letdown if you find out in his 50’s he’s still dealing with the same bullsh*t he used, or in the case of Hetfield, I’d hope he wouldn’t still harbor the same resentments towards life now as he had in the 80’s.

I know the dude is going through a divorce, so surely some of that will make it’s way into the lyrics, but overall, the guy’s a multi-millionaire who conquered his goal of being in the biggest metal band in the world, lives fairly isolated on a compound in Colorado and probably doesn’t interact much with the outside world, I’d have a hard time finding things to be pissed off about if I were in his shoes.

Has to be hard not to repeat yourself and become your own worst cliche at some point.
Eventually you run out of ideas, and then when you do, you go outside the box and write
songs that piss off your longest standing fanbase. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :idk

It's Hetfield's riffs and right hand that has always been the shining star in Metallica. It's
the Hand of God in Metal----to me. :rawk
Agree completely. These guys really don't owe us anything, either. Hetfield (who had to pick up a planet worth of slack with Mustaine leaving), Cliff's musical theory, Lar's ear for arrangement and promotion and really the exuberance of youth got us that gold in the beginning. It's tough being a normal person (aka grown-up) and creating life changing art. I'll give the rest of their new album a listen.

I think there is something to be said for Mustaine being angry all these years later and still putting out some great stuff over the years.

Listened for a second time. Hammet's solo is still a little more slapdash than I had hoped. Really only critique (that actually applies to the song vs lack of bass on AJFA :rofl ) is the dumb title. Weird phrase to auto-tune yell as a chorus for an old metal band ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Trying too hard to be cool ("Hey look! We are still so much more than METAL!" :wat ) and sound intelligent when there is really no need. This ties in to the mindset of making an album with Lou Reed. There are ways to branch out but this shouldn't be one of them.
This was my immediate takeaway, good tune... laaaaazy solo from Kirk

Listened to it a couple more times. Yeah, umm, I dunno. I like the fast-paced thrash aspect to it with Hetfield’s tight rhythms and stop/start riffs throughout. Seems they are heading in a good direction. But the song doesn’t grab me overall. Screaming out “Lux Aeterna” over and over just comes off cheesy to me. I can’t picture myself wanting to hear that over and over on a playlist. (And I had to look up what it meant - link below). And as mentioned already, I thought Kirk’s solo didn’t really fit the song. It was just noodling and didn’t go anywhere. (Not that I could do any better, mind you, but just speaking as a fan wanting to like their new stuff).

We’ll see. Too bad we have to wait until APRIL for the new album!

I just want more Master of Puppets, Hit the Lights, Four Horsemen, Blackened, Frayed Ends of Sanity type stuff…

Hahahaha there’s people spazzing out about the VIP ticket prices on Blabbermouth, it’s really mind blowing how people read “Enhanced Experience and Ticket Packages” and still think the regular ticket prices are being discussed. The average ticket is $100, obviously the VIP stuff is going to cost more. Considering I saw Floyd in ‘94 for $60, $100 for a stadium show 28 years later isn’t bad at all.

If I were a mega fan that had time to travel around the US while they were touring, that probably isn’t a bad deal at all. I’m curious what the exclusions are because the show they did here recently (which was more of a fan appreciation show in a much smaller venue than an average Metallica show) the tickets were all $350+, if this included those one-off shows it’d definitely be worth it.

Hahahaha there’s people spazzing out about the VIP ticket prices on Blabbermouth, it’s really mind blowing how people read “Enhanced Experience and Ticket Packages” and still think the regular ticket prices are being discussed. The average ticket is $100, obviously the VIP stuff is going to cost more. Considering I saw Floyd in ‘94 for $60, $100 for a stadium show 28 years later isn’t bad at all.

If I were a mega fan that had time to travel around the US while they were touring, that probably isn’t a bad deal at all. I’m curious what the exclusions are because the show they did here recently (which was more of a fan appreciation show in a much smaller venue than an average Metallica show) the tickets were all $350+, if this included those one-off shows it’d definitely be worth it.
I am always going to have that problem of the comparison of paying $14 to see them with Cliff during Ride the Lightning tour:unsure: :cry: :ROFLMAO:

Back