Forgot about this song, love it (Queensryche)

TubeStack

Shredder
This song came up on my Apple Music personal station the other day. I’d forgotten all about it but really dug it, back in the day. Jut listened to it 2x in a row, again, love it.

Great production, guitar tones, vocals, drums and bass sound killer. Love the riffing, guitar arrangements and melodic vocals, bit of a King’s X vibe at times. Cool major/minor key changes.

I wonder if die-hards from the Mindcrime era found it too poppy? Equivalent of Metallica's black album?

Regardless, I love it. Just a really well-written, performed, and recorded rock song with some prog elements, too. Love the outro with the drums and bass playing around with the time signature feel while the guitar riff repeats.

Let's all try and wrap our heads around the fact that a band like Queensryche could have the Number 1 AOR Album in the
Nation, and go all the way to No. 7 on the Billboard album charts.

Now let's reflect on the world we inhabit now. :LOL:

Well, I don't really want to take this in the “today's music sucks” direction, but I hear what you're saying. It is was it is, oh well. I'm happy to have grown up in a time when electric-guitar-based music and rock music were a big thing, but it doesn't go further than that, for me.

But back to Queensryche: I find it remarkable that a guy as talented as Chris De Garmo left the scene so completely and got a “real job” as a pilot. Has anyone heard the music he's recently been working on with his daughter? Or the Alice In Chains material he was involved with? (just reading his wiki now)

Yup. He did a brief thing with Sean Kinney and Mike Inez and the singer from Sponge. Definitely a very
uhmmm.... "quirky" album.

And I wasn't trying to take it in a different direction. I merely find it shocking that "this" kind of music (QR) was
universally appreciated, once upon a time. That's all. Sorry for bringing it up. :idk

Yup. He did a brief thing with Sean Kinney and Mike Inez and the singer from Sponge. Definitely a very
uhmmm.... "quirky" album.

And I wasn't trying to take it in a different direction. I merely find it shocking that "this" kind of music (QR) was
universally appreciated, once upon a time. That's all. Sorry for bringing it up. :idk

Hey no worries, I had a similar thought when I was listening to Primus the other day and thinking how they were headlining major festivals, back in the day. Try and imagine that now.

I was 9 when this came out and I wore the tape out. My dad and uncle got me into them years before that, just as long as I've known Floyd's music, I've know Ryches, it was just always there in my life. This album definitely got a pass from some fans because it was just so damn good. Even getting poppy, it was done with killer musicianship and the production element kept some prog stuff going. They did an amazing job with the vocal production on this album, all the harmonies and effected vocals are all just really well done without being over the top. You don't really hear sh*t like that anymore.

There was still enough balls in the guitars for the dudes to enjoy while the chicks went googoo for Tate. And Scott's drums, everyone just sounds great on that album. Definitely a firing on all cylinders thing, which is pretty cool coming after Mindcrime.

Love it! :beer

I literally remember the first time I ever head Queensryche. I was a Sophomore in High School, and
one morning I was getting ready for School, and Queen of The Reich popped on MTV----which
I would turn on when I got up first thing in the morning. Literally stopped me dead in my tracks.

WTF is THAT!!???

I think I had to hunt around for that EP and find a place that had it on cassette. $4.99. :)

Crazy I can remember where we lived at the time, and how the apartment was set up.

This song came up on my Apple Music personal station the other day. I’d forgotten all about it but really dug it, back in the day. Jut listened to it 2x in a row, again, love it.

Great production, guitar tones, vocals, drums and bass sound killer. Love the riffing, guitar arrangements and melodic vocals, bit of a King’s X vibe at times. Cool major/minor key changes.

I wonder if die-hards from the Mindcrime era found it too poppy? Equivalent of Metallica's black album?

Regardless, I love it. Just a really well-written, performed, and recorded rock song with some prog elements, too. Love the outro with the drums and bass playing around with the time signature feel while the guitar riff repeats.

Another thing I love about QR is their guitar tones have always screamed Marshall. Right in my soft spot. :love

michaelwiltonamps.jpg

queensrycheamps-e1642559884212.jpg

Another thing I love about QR is their guitar tones have always screamed Marshall. Right in my soft spot. :love

michaelwiltonamps.jpg

queensrycheamps-e1642559884212.jpg

Yeah, these amps were actually used as a selling point when Todd joined the band and they started recording the first album with him. “Mike’s got his amp collection in the studio, the same amps he used for all the classic Ryche material!” and it had merit because it had been so long since any of those tones were on an album.

He’s all Kemper live, using profiles of those amps, or at least one of them. I don’t recall hearing a lot of different tones from him live, so I’m guessing he just goes with one great sounding head to cover everything. I’d LOVE to play with that stack of amps, though!
Never knew it was a Jubilee on Empire.

Back