New Metallica song "Lux Æterna"

This is one of their better attempts of going back to roots, the song is good.

I really wish they change their Death Magnetic guitar tone (which this song also has), it sounds like they are using the same sh*tty IR since 2008.
Go back to micing Boogies and Marshall 4x12 cabs with G12-65 ffs, that sounded good.

I disagree. I don't hear the death magnetic sound in this song.

Te overall tone of the song is similar to their last two records but in these guitars I hear something different.

This is certainly old man flashback material; but I still remember ever pivotal early Metallica moment. Getting AJFA and wondering if you forgot to plug in speakers and you were actually just listening to the acoustic sound coming from the needle because the low end was SO missing was really jarring at the time.

I :facepalm that album. How it is produced. The guitar tones. The lack of bass. Blech! That is the album where Metallica
lost me.

I also pushed Play on it in 1988 and it is still playing. :roflSooooooooooooo long. Soooooooo fatiguing.

Caveat emptor.

Im Digging it , but unfortunately i too am stuck in the Kill em all up to AJFA era, but its not terrible though,
Maybe Metallica is trying harder at being a band rather than a brand

I :facepalm that album. How it is produced. The guitar tones. The lack of bass. Blech! That is the album where Metallica
lost me.

I also pushed Play on it in 1988 and it is still playing. :roflSooooooooooooo long. Soooooooo fatiguing.

Caveat emptor.
It took a couple of listens. And really only because of the sonics. I was still all in on Metallica and I had faith that Newstead and his Flotsam and Jetsam experiences could be funneled into something good, post Burton. Garage Days was a great intro for him and I really had high hopes. I thought AJFA was great but it was obviously exorcising a moment of heavy grief before laying the groundwork for multiple turds to come our way. Ugh.

Sorry for the derail; @TheTrueZoltan!

It's so weird talking about all this kind of stuff. As a 50 year old; all these things that are now tired af metal tropes started off in the wild west days pre internet and they grew legs and kept going, all these years later.
I know what you mean, I am only 5 years younger than you and remember the „wild west“ days. I discovered Metallica as an 8 year old kid when I listened to Master Of Puppets (of course) when visiting my older cousin. I was instantly hooked and couldn‘t get enough of that song. My cousin had to play it over and over again. It was magical. My cousin then made a metal mixtape for me and I still know the songs: The first three songs from Metallica‘s MOP, a couple of songs from The Scorpions‘ World Wide Life and „Out In The Cold“ from Priest Live. I remember jumping around on my bed to the intro riff of Out In The Cold, pretending to be a rockstar.

To be honest, I was still very young when I first heard AJFA and I didn’t even realize the lack of bass guitar back then. I just loved the songs, and the album sounded adequately heavy to me. I was just having a little bit of fun with your „audiophile“ comment. ;)

Last edited:
This imo is Metallica at its finest, a live garage demo tight as f**k with crushing guitar tone and huge amount of raw energy.

Screenshot_20221128-160545~2.png

I love AJFA despite its shortcoming on the bass master recording, lots of great heavy songs on AJFA
I listen to this Version of the album it has a bass line, and Jason is fantastic !!!

I wasn't going to make this a Jason thread but that one is good though I like the mix on this one a bit better.

I guess I just like the extra clank more.

Back