New Metallica song "Lux Æterna"

Got tickets to the Gillette show last night, with fees they were about $380 each, which includes both nights. Fees were $80 so about $150 a night and they’re pretty damn good seats. First level up from the ground level and we got the aisle seats. My buddy works for the A/V company that services the hotel on the stadium grounds, so we‘re probably going to stay there the whole weekend, which will make day 2 MUCH easier to handle since we can get annihilated in our room and head down as FFDP is getting off the stage!

They did a livestream with Jose from Liquid Metal last night. There was a QR code on the screen that redirected you to their Bitcoin/cryptocurrency site. I immediately thought of this place :rofl

I saw that one too. It's a scam channel, though.
There's another one doing the same thing using the SpaceX/Elon Musk name.

Metallica did a clever move with this lux æterna video.

They published it with no restrictions, no content id.

Anyone on YouTube can take it, use it and won't be blocked, won't have to share revenue with Metallica or have their content demonetized.

This is clever move and as you can all see there are tons of reactions, reviews, ecc showing the original and full length audio/video.

This is one of their better attempts of going back to roots, the song is good.

I really wish they change their Death Magnetic guitar tone (which this song also has), it sounds like they are using the same sh*tty IR since 2008.
Go back to micing Boogies and Marshall 4x12 cabs with G12-65 ffs, that sounded good.
I think they did use amps I would bet , I don’t think the record is Axe FX

I think they did use amps I would bet , I don’t think the record is Axe FX
Could be, but it sounds like their last 2 albums.
The first 5 albums had instantly recognizable guitar sound and mix, I'd like metal bands to bring this kind of production back.

Someone on one of the gear forums I’m on said he’s buds with someone in the Metallica camp, supposedly Kirk and James used about 3 amps each for the whole album and blended them. Can’t remember Kirk‘s but it was just a generic “a Mesa, a Jose Marshall and a Diezel” for James, which is par for the course for him.

Anyone on YouTube can take it, use it and won't be blocked, won't have to share revenue with Metallica or have their content demonetized.

This is clever move and as you can all see there are tons of reactions, reviews, ecc showing the original and full length audio/video.

One of the things I give them full credit for is owning everything outright. They retained all their masters a few years back, they’re now 100% self-contained/DIY, which is nuts for a band of that size. They even own the vinyl lathes they use to cut the damn vinyl! Their fan club/merch is all handled out of their HQ and their back catalog is now being released on their own label.

Cutting out the middle men surely gives them the freedom to do stuff like that. Lars gets a lot of sh*t, but man, if I could have the same career trajectory/success with ANYTHING I do in life, I’d be pretty damn stoked!

They’ve come along way from Lars suing fans and Napster LOL!

Could be, but it sounds like their last 2 albums.
The first 5 albums had instantly recognizable guitar sound and mix, I'd like metal bands to bring this kind of production back.

I agree that the tone in the first album was more recognizable but I really disagree with you about the tone on this song being like the last 2 records.

To me is quite different and has some old style flavour in it.

Someone on one of the gear forums I’m on said he’s buds with someone in the Metallica camp, supposedly Kirk and James used about 3 amps each for the whole album and blended them. Can’t remember Kirk‘s but it was just a generic “a Mesa, a Jose Marshall and a Diezel” for James, which is par for the course for him.

There's clearly some Marshall flavour in the guitar tone of this new song, to my ears.

I agree that the tone in the first album was more recognizable but I really disagree with you about the tone on this song being like the last 2 records.

To me is quite different and has some old style flavour in it.

There's clearly some Marshall flavour in the guitar tone of this new song, to my ears.

Same. It's pretty obvious, too. I'll shit my pants if it is a Friedman in there, though. :poop:

:LOL:

I doubt Lars was on board with that idea, lol

Cool tribute to Motörhead :geek:

pistols GIF

Last edited:
Hahaha it sounds like someone just sliding a chord up and since James is doing exactly that in the vid, I’m gonna guess it’s that.

I think questioning any of those things in the context of a Kirk solo….comes with the territory, man! I only dug the solo cuz it has what I call a “f*ck it” section where he’s just dumping the bar and not really doing anything musical with it, I love that stuff, like the whammy stuff I did in the last song, there’s nothing really musical about it, it’s just screeching guitars sounding like they’re having a fit, or in this solo’s context, sounds like it wants to give up on life. :ROFLMAO: (In a good way)

I listened to it a couple times yesterday, overall doesn‘t blow me away and I kinda chuckled at James lyrics with more fast car references, but that’s what the dudes into, so I can’t really fault him for writing about sh*t he’s into. I’ve seen him catching slack over the vocals, I suppose I think of him the same way I do Maynard when people were bitching that Maynard wasn’t screaming on the last Tool album; I wouldn’t expect him to. The dude wrote lyrics for 20 years about moving past anger and figuring out his head, it’d be a pretty big letdown if you find out in his 50’s he’s still dealing with the same bullsh*t he used, or in the case of Hetfield, I’d hope he wouldn’t still harbor the same resentments towards life now as he had in the 80’s.

I know the dude is going through a divorce, so surely some of that will make it’s way into the lyrics, but overall, the guy’s a multi-millionaire who conquered his goal of being in the biggest metal band in the world, lives fairly isolated on a compound in Colorado and probably doesn’t interact much with the outside world, I’d have a hard time finding things to be pissed off about if I were in his shoes.

I always think it must be hard to be getting older and be in a band that built its fame on teen angst and youthful anger.

It seems like it would be weird to be in your 50s still singing about things that pissed you off when you were 18. But that’s what you’re famous for and what fans want to hear from you so you have to keep pretending you’re still an angry teenager.

I think it’s gotta be WAY easier to be someone like Nile Rodgers or AC/DC and keep singing songs about girls and partying as you get older

I always think it must be hard to be getting older and be in a band that built its fame on teen angst and youthful anger.

It seems like it would be weird to be in your 50s still singing about things that pissed you off when you were 18. But that’s what you’re famous for and what fans want to hear from you so you have to keep pretending you’re still an angry teenager.

I think it’s gotta be WAY easier to be someone like Nile Rodgers or AC/DC and keep singing songs about girls and partying as you get older

I can definitely see that side of it and it seems to be the biggest issue older fans have with them. It’s a foreign idea to me, I strongly prefer to hear a band grow with time, even if that means I’m not going to dig everything that comes as a result (last Tool album is a good example, I dig it, but it’s definitely not my favorite Tool album).

It’s also why I fell off the Dream Theater train and latch onto bands like Mastodon, Devin Townsend, hell, even Slipknot, there’s actual progression from album to album. Dream Theater just keeps doing the same thing they’ve always done and are the least-progressive progressive band I know of. :ROFLMAO:

But I’m an odd man out, I liked Load.

I can definitely see that side of it and it seems to be the biggest issue older fans have with them. It’s a foreign idea to me, I strongly prefer to hear a band grow with time, even if that means I’m not going to dig everything that comes as a result (last Tool album is a good example, I dig it, but it’s definitely not my favorite Tool album).

It’s also why I fell off the Dream Theater train and latch onto bands like Mastodon, Devin Townsend, hell, even Slipknot, there’s actual progression from album to album. Dream Theater just keeps doing the same thing they’ve always done and are the least-progressive progressive band I know of. :ROFLMAO:

But I’m an odd man out, I liked Load.

I’m with you, I like to hear growth/change/progression in a band over time. I think a lot of bands have this period of creativity where they’re growing, then they hit an album that is their Magnum Opus, and then the creativity just sort of fizzles. Like that album was the pinnacle of their artistic vision and they didn’t have anywhere else to grow.

I think Dream Theater is a perfect example of this. For me, their pinnacle artistic achievement was Scenes From A Memory. I think they had really good growth up to that album, but everything after that started sounding like the same album over and over and I got bored with it.

Though I did love the 8 movement Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence suite.

And the last time I saw Metallica live they did a whole acoustic set with John Denver covers and I loved it… which got me teased by my friends for the rest of my life :grin

I’m with you, I like to hear growth/change/progression in a band over time. I think a lot of bands have this period of creativity where they’re growing, then they hit an album that is their Magnum Opus, and then the creativity just sort of fizzles. Like that album was the pinnacle of their artistic vision and they didn’t have anywhere else to grow.

I think Dream Theater is a perfect example of this. For me, their pinnacle artistic achievement was Scenes From A Memory. I think they had really good growth up to that album, but everything after that started sounding like the same album over and over and I got bored with it.

Though I did love the 8 movement Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence suite.

And the last time I saw Metallica live they did a whole acoustic set with John Denver covers and I loved it… which got me teased by my friends for the rest of my life :grin

Hard to disagree with any of that (except the 2nd half of 6DOIT, that’s just a Rudess solo album :ROFLMAO: ) and really, Metallica has said it before, but they put in all that hard work/years leading up to the Black Album and after they just wanted to enjoy themselves rather than repeating that whole process over again or doing things the way they did before.

I’d love to see Hetfield doing a solo acoustic show, I actually really love that dude’s singing voice and always think it’s perplexing when people say he’s lost his voice. Dude’s gotten stronger and stronger as a singer year after year, IMO.

Back