New 25w Badlander with el84s!

Starting off this comment by saying my BL100 is my favorite amp and I think it sounds amazing.

I'm not really sure why this new mini amp exists either. The chassis of the 50/100 is the same width, this looks like that amp but slid into a Rectoverb 25 headshell. I actually asked Mesa about this about a year ago b/c I measured the chassis of the Badlander to 17" wide and asked if I could custom order a Rectoverb 25 headshell that would fit it, and they said it wouldn't work because of how the support screws align. The BL100 chassis might be too deep too, IDK.

Then there's the tubes. The only reason I put up with the EL84s on my Mini Rec is because the amp is so small and cute and I have it set up for recording 100% of the time. It sounds perfect in this context. The couple of times I've tried to jam with a live metal band with it - no. This was a golden opportunity for Mesa to drop the silly EL84s they've been championing for 30 years now and go with what PRS does with their MT15. Big bottle EL34s, 6L6s, or 5881s, and smaller transformers - huge sound, no volume restraints, and you keep the lower wattage and small chassis.

Still, you're getting a fantastic amplifier, loadbox, and Two Notes IR loader, so it's a great package. But it's not the tiny Mini Rectifier that you can just tuck away on your desk, and it's not a full blown 50 or 100 watt head like the bigger box Badlander. So I'm not sure where this falls in the market.

One last note, the tolex in that reverb listing for it looks subpar. It's not the standard high-quality Mesa wrap. I wonder what that's all about.

Last edited:
Starting off this comment by saying my BL100 is my favorite amp and I think it sounds amazing.

I'm not really sure why this new mini amp exists either. The chassis of the 50/100 is the same width, this looks like that amp but slid into a Rectoverb 25 headshell. I actually asked Mesa about this about a year ago b/c I measured the chassis of the Badlander to 17" wide and asked if I could custom order a Rectoverb 25 headshell that would fit it, and they said it wouldn't work because of how the support screws align. The BL100 chassis might be too deep too, IDK.

Then there's the tubes. The only reason I put up with the EL84s on my Mini Rec is because the amp is so small and cute and I have it set up for recording 100% of the time. It sounds perfect in this context. The couple of times I've tried to jam with a live metal band with it - no. This was a golden opportunity for Mesa to drop the silly EL84s they've been championing for 30 years now and go with what PRS does with their MT15. Big bottle EL34s, 6L6s, or 5881s, and smaller transformers - huge sound, no volume restraints, and you keep the lower wattage and small chassis.

Still, you're getting a fantastic amplifier, loadbox, and Two Notes IR loader, so it's a great package. But it's not the tiny Mini Rectifier that you can just tuck away on your desk, and it's not a full blown 50 or 100 watt head like the bigger box Badlander. So I'm not sure where this falls in the market.

One last note, the tolex in that reverb listing for it looks subpar. It's not the standard high-quality Mesa wrap. I wonder what that's all about.
Ya it looks like they switched Tolex from their standard smooth leather
To the generic bronco
Maybe supply issues ?

Last edited:
Ya it looks like they switched Tolex from their standard smooth leather
To the generic bronco
Maybe supply issues ?
I’ve not gotten an answer on that, but I’m pissed too. Especially because I can order the regular smooth tolex (black taurus) on mojotone.com RIGHT NOW.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20221106-065424_Chrome.jpg

I spies a Creamback?

I’ve not gotten an answer on that, but I’m pissed too. Especially because I can order the regular smooth tolex (black taurus) on mojotone.com RIGHT NOW.

I have to agree that the one in photos looks much worse than the trademark smooth black
I would want that or something different but I suspect ordering white with a black mesh grill black
Vent plate , and black recto knobs will likely waitlist me 12 -18 months

I have to agree that the one in photos looks much worse than the trademark smooth black
I would want that or something different but I suspect ordering white with a black mesh grill black
It’ll be even longer, since they’re still not accepting custom orders.

I have a friend that custom ordered a badlander in December 2020 and still hasn't had it shipped.

Avoiding that nonsense is why I ordered mine bone stock and made the aesthetic upgrades I wanted myself.

I have a friend that custom ordered a badlander in December 2020 and still hasn't had it shipped.

Avoiding that nonsense is why I ordered mine bone stock and made the aesthetic upgrades I wanted myself.
That actually makes sense changing a headshell and knobs is better than a 2 year wait

So I guessing we will see this released this week since pretty much everyone and their dog knows about it now and some that went to event probably played them

Can’t wait to hear the clips

Really? That's a shame; I damn near bought one last month... it looks like a sweet amp. Why do you think it is going to be discontinued? Is it too easy to dial in? :rofl
I like them a lot play one pretty near everytime I stop in local shop But they are not really typical Mesa
They are not like Recto or Mark really , the fact that they are kind of a hybrid British and American HiGain tone is why I like them so much but for many reviews people feel that lack and identity are kind of generic sounding
And lack a lot of the low end chunk of a Recto

I like them a lot play one pretty near everytime I stop in local shop But they are not really typical Mesa
They are not like Recto or Mark really , the fact that they are kind of a hybrid British and American HiGain tone is why I like them so much but for many reviews people feel that lack and identity are kind of generic sounding
And lack a lot of the low end chunk of a Recto
That's too bad, seems like they fill a niche in Mesa's line up. Oh well, maybe they will go by the wayside and be cheap on the used market someday like the Stilettos or something.

These apparently are starting get out and about. Posts on the Mesa show a few people with them. It's nice that they actually fit on a 112.
Hold On Lol GIF by NBC

Back