New 25w Badlander with el84s!

C6E39115-C044-48D5-A1FB-C1CDAAA18362.jpeg

So…..yeah it’s not as good. Really AB’ing with a 100 in 50 and even 20w mode, the bigger head just sounds…..bigger. Of course there’s the cost aspect; but that’s literally it. The BL’s are already on the smaller side for heads, and they’re not heavy.

They are both rackmountable, both 17” chassis (as a guy, of course I’ve measured mine).

IMO the selling points of the Badlander 25 over the 50 or 100 are:

1. Lower Price
2. Smaller stock headshell & lower weight = easier portability
And the one selling point that I think everyone is glossing over:
3. You have a full-sounding small portable amplifier head with a Two Notes designed IR loader built in.

IMO it’s the perfect gigging amp, even if it would have difficulties getting it to volume in a rehearsal situation (drummers are loud), it would be great on stage for stage volume and you would never have to mic a cab.

They are both rackmountable, both 17” chassis (as a guy, of course I’ve measured mine).

1. Lower Price
3. You have a full-sounding small portable amplifier head with a Two Notes designed IR loader built in.

IMO it’s the perfect gigging amp, even if it would have difficulties getting it to volume in a rehearsal situation (drummers are loud), it would be great on stage for stage volume and you would never have to mic a cab.
I'd say only 1 and 2. It's just not as good as the bigger amps, in terms of tone. It's close, but it definitely lacks bottom end, and it has a weird higher tone that's not present in the others.

1. Lower Price

Not to mention 9 out of 10 gigging guitarists in a metal/rock setting dial in WAY too much bass, IME.
They'd probably sound better in the mix and the band would sound better, but old habits die hard. ;)

And I am an admitted big amp/iron/tube lover.

1. Lower Price

I’m a drummer, more a multi-dude.
Drummers do not have to always be loud.
Especially if they respect their other band mates and love the music with all their heart.
There’s many ways to quiet down a kit
no matter how hard you hit.
Of all band members the drummer needs to have a keen understanding of dynamics,listen with precision, back off for the verses and vocal cadences, anticipate the solo coming and boost the dude but don’t boost the whole damn song, etc..
If that’s the amp you have, then he needs to make it work.
I get it though, I’ve played with animal’heads and it’s fun as hell getting the grunt on,…ignorance.

I’m a drummer, more a multi-dude.
Drummers do not have to always be loud.
Especially if they respect their other band mates and love the music with all their heart.
There’s many ways to quiet down a kit
no matter how hard you hit.
Of all band members the drummer needs to have a keen understanding of dynamics,listen with precision, back off for the verses and vocal cadences, anticipate the solo coming and boost the dude but don’t boost the whole damn song, etc..
If that’s the amp you have, then he needs to make it work.
I get it though, I’ve played with animal’heads and it’s fun as hell getting the grunt on,…ignorance.
Nah I get you, but I disagree with almost all of that. Hit the fucking drums hard, I play metal. Every drummer I've played with that was a good one was loud.

Ick. I like my hearing.
Nah you just need to wear good quality earplugs. I played in tons of bands and still have perfect hearing into my 40s (I actually had my hearing tested last month when I was sick). The last drummer I played in a band with was so good, and every hit was a cannon. It was so fun to play with that guy. Ironically his name was Jeff too :)

Last edited:
Nah you just need to wear good quality earplugs. I played in tons of bands and still have perfect hearing into my 40s (I actually had my hearing tested last month when I was sick). The last drummer I played in a band with was so good, and every hit was a cannon. It was so fun to play with that guy. Ironically his name was Jeff too :)
There’s your problem right there. Jeffs always play too damn loud.

Ya it looks like they switched Tolex from their standard smooth leather
To the generic bronco
Maybe supply issues ?

I was just looking at a new Recto stock 2x12 in a nearby store and it too has the more generic bronco tolex. That is a bummer, I much prefer the smooth one they used to use.

Back