NDSP Quad Cortex

It is weird right.... effects DSP doesn't have the same timeline that the amp models do. Telling me in 3 years they couldn't finish the DSP for these additional delays and reverbs?? Something is fishy there. Maybe their regular DSP guy left and all they have is some badly commented MATLAB code???

I could do a Boss Slow Gear algorithm in Max/MSP in an evening!!!

They have added reverbs and mods after launch. But I suspect those particular "spacey" reverbs were nothing more than names picked out of a hat (or a more unsightly orifice) to make their product sound well-rounded prior to launch.

They've shown no capacity in their plugins or hardware to create reverbs that in-depth.....so far, at least.

They have added reverbs and mods after launch. But I suspect those particular "spacey" reverbs were nothing more than names picked out of a hat (or a more unsightly orifice) to make their product sound well-rounded prior to launch.

They've shown no capacity in their plugins or hardware to create reverbs that in-depth.....so far, at least.
I genuinely hadn't thought of that possibility, but yes... maybe they just invented some cool sounding shit to help sell during the pre-ordering stage. I can well believe it, having worked at ROLI where executives and product management would just invent any old shit to please investors.

The QC is great, and I do dig it. But I'm not particularly fond of the company and how they operate - I think chances are there are good guys and gals working on the front lines, but that the executive team are swanning about the planet in business class, spending 60-70% of the company budget on frivolous nonsense. Seen it before, sure I'll see it again.

To be fair, all such names are plucked out of thin air. (What is the sound of one "Ganymede" clapping?) Always assume that any "original" content that isn't actually shipped is vaporware. No one's going to be able to stand up and say, "Hey, this isn't the 'Singularity Reverb' we were promised!" NDSP can hang that tag on any algorithm they please... if and when the time ever comes.

I don't think I'd agree with this. They've managed to code a few good sounding reverbs. More "in-depth" reverbs are usually a matter of embedding additional modulation and/or feedback behaviors, and there's evidence in the QC library that they can handle that, too.

They just can't seem to hold to a schedule is all.

1727889463683.png

lol. Little bit of ChatGPT, and we have a prototype running in Python. WHAT'S THE BIG PROBLEM HUH!?!?!

I genuinely hadn't thought of that possibility, but yes... maybe they just invented some cool sounding shit to help sell during the pre-ordering stage. I can well believe it, having worked at ROLI where executives and product management would just invent any old shit to please investors.

The QC is great, and I do dig it. But I'm not particularly fond of the company and how they operate - I think chances are there are good guys and gals working on the front lines, but that the executive team are swanning about the planet in business class, spending 60-70% of the company budget on frivolous nonsense. Seen it before, sure I'll see it again.
Just say it
You mean feature films 🎥

I cannot imagine the cost of that

To be fair, all such names are plucked out of thin air. (What is the sound of one "Ganymede" clapping?) Always assume that any "original" content that isn't actually shipped is vaporware. No one's going to be able to stand up and say, "Hey, this isn't the 'Singularity Reverb' we were promised!" NDSP can hang that tag on any algorithm they please... if and when the time ever comes.

I don't think I'd agree with this. They've managed to code a few good sounding reverbs. More "in-depth" reverbs are usually a matter of embedding additional modulation and/or feedback behaviors, and there's evidence in the QC library that they can handle that, too.

They just can't seem to hold to a schedule is all.

I'll only say that if they could have....they would have. We're approaching year four and TINA has been magically handling the super duper fast and human-free amp modeling.

So, what's the hold up?

I'll only say that if they could have....they would have. We're approaching year four and TINA has been magically handling the super duper fast and human-free amp modeling.

So, what's the hold up?
I can't disagree with you. But I don't think it's a question of whether they're technically capable. More a matter of priorities vs. resources. If there comes a time when throwing some more block types at CorOS might boost QC sales - and management feels that boosting QC sales is necessary - then maybe. Until then, they'll probably keep puttering away with their plugins.

I'd love to see some new reverbs, or wahs, or whatever, but I'm not holding my breath either way. If the QC weren't already covering the bases for me, I'd be using something else.

I can't disagree with you. But I don't think it's a question of whether they're technically capable. More a matter of priorities vs. resources. If there comes a time when throwing some more block types at CorOS might boost QC sales - and management feels that boosting QC sales is necessary - then maybe. Until then, they'll probably keep puttering away with their plugins.

I'd love to see some new reverbs, or wahs, or whatever, but I'm not holding my breath either way. If the QC weren't already covering the bases for me, I'd be using something else.

That's the thing: I haven't seen reverbs of that quality in the plugins either, and obviously it would be an attractive proposition for whatever they put it in with a price tag.

I was assuming you'd tried one to make that statement. I'm not saying you should try one--no piece of gear is for everyone--but that's a strange statement without having tried one out. It's like saying you don't like a food when you've never tried it.

Regardless, if the Fractal stuff is working well for you, keep with that. Fractal is amazing.

At this point it comes down to the details on what will be best for a given person. All these things sound great.
no but looking at the parameters available i known it would not be for me
I know some folks dial in a preset and good to go, but thats not for me and I do really enjoy crafting tones
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I am actually pretty excited to see how they do with the Dime wah, I think that could be pretty cool for the users if they have the 6 freq settings and the 17 db boost

That would allow a lot of flexibility as it was basically like a dunlop rack was in a pedal

I am actually pretty excited to see how they do with the Dime wah, I think that could be pretty cool for the users if they have the 6 freq settings and the 17 db boost

That would allow a lot of flexibility as it was basically like a dunlop rack was in a pedal
Wonder how close it will be able to get to my 535q and bb535. These two definitely sound different from one another. The bb535 is more synthetic sounding, and smoother than the 535q. The 535q sounds like an explosion. They're both great!

I think tweakability is the devil, and was my whole problem with the Axe FX II. I couldn't really get a high-gain tone I was super super happy with back in the day. Axe III? Basically since I've had it, none of the tweaks were that essential to me, and it worked just like a real world signal chain.

QC? Quite honestly, just for pure amp tones, I've not really come across any scenario where I wished for any of those deeper tweak parameters. The plugins are also similarly instant gratification.

This isn't true for Helix or Amplitube 5 (non-ToneX models) though. Sometimes I do load up one of their stock amps and think "this needs a high-cut in the input EQ, and it needs the bias dropping" type stuff. Helix gives you the two bias controls, which is good. Amplitube 5 doesn't give you anything really. But generally when I use that, I'm just using my ToneX captures for the amp now.
Fuck me for the delayed reply, but was off work and busy the last few days and hate replying from my phone.

THIS 100000%.

I have a few high gain presets on my FM9 that work really well, but I can't get that last 4 or 5% to perfection. Tried all the tweaks and found that moving the majority from the "default", either does nothing, or makes it worse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For me it seems a lot of those tweaks just plain don't apply to the high gain tones I'm after. Of course other's mileage may vary, these things are always personal and down to the hearing of the individual.

Have had my QC for a couple days and already have more presets on it - that are probably 98% of perfect, without any tweaks attempted! I'm really happy with some of them, and I already know that when the Fortin Nameless preset is ported in the next update, I'm going to be stoked.

There's been a bit of a learning curve with the QC, but mostly it's been very intuitive. I think the biggest failing (other than how long it's taken them to get things added :facepalm that marketing has promised :grin) is a lack of scribble strips! Having to bend over and "slide up" to see what the footswitches are going to do is a bit of a pain, but no biggee. I'm getting used to it, and when I have two full banks of "flavors" of high gain, I'll memorize what's what, any who.

Touchscreen is awesome, no problems usability wise. Biggest "control" issue is changing modes (preset/scene/stomp) via dual press of two footswitches, you really have to be careful there. Good thing is that no missiles get launched towards Israel if you don't hit them in perfect synchronization.

Figured out the cloud stuff, downloads and creating my own presets. Super simple. Transpose block is working well to bring E Standard down to B Standard - seems to work as well (or nearly as?) the FM9 VC.

Was surprised about the lack of a global volume pedal assignment, have to add a "utility - volume" on each preset. Some of them were tricky to reorganize in that I added both that "utility" and a "transpose" to them.

Still lots to learn, but damn, the QC sounds fucking glorious!

Back