NDSP Quad Cortex

[snip]I think the biggest failing (other than how long it's taken them to get things added :facepalm that marketing has promised :grin) is a lack of scribble strips![snip]

Yeah, scribble strips would've been awesome. You do have Gig Mode as you say, and to be honest it is quite good, I really like how it has distinctive looks for stomp, scene, and preset modes, so if you learn how they look then you can quickly know what mode you're in.

The main issue I think the unit has is that it doesn't play perfectly well with friends. So sticking pedals into the effects loops... you have to mess around setting the send and return levels so you get a nice unity gain signal, and so when you bypass the loop block the output volume is the same as with it enabled. It is a bit finnicky in that regard. But it is workable.

Yeah, scribble strips would've been awesome. You do have Gig Mode as you say, and to be honest it is quite good, I really like how it has distinctive looks for stomp, scene, and preset modes, so if you learn how they look then you can quickly know what mode you're in.

The main issue I think the unit has is that it doesn't play perfectly well with friends. So sticking pedals into the effects loops... you have to mess around setting the send and return levels so you get a nice unity gain signal, and so when you bypass the loop block the output volume is the same as with it enabled. It is a bit finnicky in that regard. But it is workable.
Yeah, still getting used to the screens, etc., but getting there.

I definitely won't be using any pedals, haven't had one since my 80's Rat lol.

It's been 2 months since NDSP Dan put up a Q&A about TINA. No questions have been responded to 🙄
I still cannot fathom why the photo of TINA on their home page accompanies a headline about running existing virtual plugins on an existing digital platform.

1727971316729.png

There's been a bit of a learning curve with the QC, but mostly it's been very intuitive. I think the biggest failing (other than how long it's taken them to get things added :facepalm that marketing has promised :grin) is a lack of scribble strips! Having to bend over and "slide up" to see what the footswitches are going to do is a bit of a pain, but no biggee. I'm getting used to it, and when I have two full banks of "flavors" of high gain, I'll memorize what's what, any who.
It's surprising that there's no footswitch combination to get you into Gig View. You could probably run a loopback cable from MIDI out to MIDI in, then program one (or all) of the footswitches to send MIDI CC#46 when pressed. That way, the first time you select a preset/ scene/ effect, you'll be returned to Gig View.

I'm thinking maybe there ought to be a Global Setting that brings up Gig View whenever you switch between Scene and Stomp (and whatever else is in your queue) modes. That would add some utility to the switch combination they've already implemented.

Was surprised about the lack of a global volume pedal assignment, have to add a "utility - volume" on each preset. Some of them were tricky to reorganize in that I added both that "utility" and a "transpose" to them.
Note that you can also map expression pedals to the level settings in the Input and Output blocks, if you want to skip the Volume block and save room on the grid. (The volume block has the Log/Linear switch, though, which is really handy.)

It's surprising that there's no footswitch combination to get you into Gig View. You could probably run a loopback cable from MIDI out to MIDI in, then program one (or all) of the footswitches to send MIDI CC#46 when pressed. That way, the first time you select a preset/ scene/ effect, you'll be returned to Gig View.
Hmm, that would probably work!

I'm thinking maybe there ought to be a Global Setting that brings up Gig View whenever you switch between Scene and Stomp (and whatever else is in your queue) modes. That would add some utility to the switch combination they've already implemented.
I see there's "hybrid" modes, I have to play with that, seems you can stack a couple together but my guess is that makes the top buttons one thing and the bottom another.

Note that you can also map expression pedals to the level settings in the Input and Output blocks, if you want to skip the Volume block and save room on the grid. (The volume block has the Log/Linear switch, though, which is really handy.)
Shit, I missed that, excellent - thank you!

I see there's "hybrid" modes, I have to play with that, seems you can stack a couple together but my guess is that makes the top buttons one thing and the bottom another.
Yeah, it's pretty flexible about letting you configure and switch between modes; there's just no easy way to get into and out of Gig View if you also need access to the "main" editing screen. (This inspired Steve Sterlacci to film a 7 minute video extolling the virtues of a pedal that could - WOW! - send CC#46 to a QC. :rofl )

One thing sucks about hybird mode - and I can't believe they designed it like this.

So you start off with stomp, scenes, and preset modes. You can bin off the preset mode, which is good. You can then make a hybrid of stomp and scenes mode. But you can't still have stomp and scenes mode as single modes.... at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.

This is quite dumb.

One thing sucks about hybird mode - and I can't believe they designed it like this.

So you start off with stomp, scenes, and preset modes. You can bin off the preset mode, which is good. You can then make a hybrid of stomp and scenes mode. But you can't still have stomp and scenes mode as single modes.... at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.

This is quite dumb.
So you mean, for example, switching between hybrid and one or both of the other modes? I'm not sure I've ever noticed. I'll take a look tonight.

Yeah exactly.

Ideally I'd want:
Stomps
Scenes
Hybrid (stomps+scenes)

And it cannae bae daene.
Yeah, they seem to have gotten a little carried away in pursuit of "elegance" with that drag and drop setup screen. It looks really cool, but it's just not as versatile as something like the Preset MIDI screen, where you select a button and use a series of dropdown menus to indicate exactly what you want that button to do.

Yeah, they seem to have gotten a little carried away in pursuit of "elegance" with that drag and drop setup screen. It looks really cool, but it's just not as versatile as something like the Preset MIDI screen, where you select a button and use a series of dropdown menus to indicate exactly what you want that button to do.
Drag & drop's fine, just gimme more blocks to drag.
Get I Get An Amen Rupauls Drag Race GIF

Back