NDSP Quad Cortex

Just got mine from an excellent forum brother, looks minty fresh and I just got my account on it and getting an update.
20241001_124536.png

Not dissing the QC but for me there is not enough tweakability to get whatever tone I'm after, I would be limited
While I'm sure its great for tune in a patch and wow it sounds great which is great, its just not my thing

:guiness

Not dissing the QC but for me there is not enough tweakability to get whatever tone I'm after, I would be limited
While I'm sure its great for tune in a patch and wow it sounds great which is great, its just not my thing

You can't know that though, unless you try one. Real amps don't have 78 tweaks.

I think tweakability is the devil, and was my whole problem with the Axe FX II. I couldn't really get a high-gain tone I was super super happy with back in the day. Axe III? Basically since I've had it, none of the tweaks were that essential to me, and it worked just like a real world signal chain.

QC? Quite honestly, just for pure amp tones, I've not really come across any scenario where I wished for any of those deeper tweak parameters. The plugins are also similarly instant gratification.

This isn't true for Helix or Amplitube 5 (non-ToneX models) though. Sometimes I do load up one of their stock amps and think "this needs a high-cut in the input EQ, and it needs the bias dropping" type stuff. Helix gives you the two bias controls, which is good. Amplitube 5 doesn't give you anything really. But generally when I use that, I'm just using my ToneX captures for the amp now.

Every time I think, "Wow this sounds great (which is great), but I bet I could make it better by tweaking", I wake up at least one day older.

I think the QC reverbs are pretty good tbh guys.

Eh. Call me when it can do this:

Or this:

Or this:

The depth and definition of the mix, modulation, and tails are leagues beyond anything I ever heard from a QC including your example above. And the Spring Reverb comparison is....well....you get the point.

Supposedly, the promised launch reverbs like the "Interstellar" or "Singularity" reverb would help address this, but we all know how that turned out.

I guess the last refuge is to wait for Black Friday, then stock up on the paid DLC that is the plugins. Those have much better reverbs to my ears, and it should only cost you an extra $200-$300 (with sale prices) to get spring and ambient reverbs that can hang with the big boys.

Back