NDSP Quad Cortex

Derp derp deleted my last post because I found it was actually updated earlier this year to transmit midi clock, however ONLY if it's the master clock and you have midi thru turned off? Thats kinda dumb as hell and unfortunate for my bands scenario :wat

@Orvillain

Can you try something for me? The QC comes with a capture that I'd love to get onto my Nano.

Untitled.png

My Cloud ID is: don1960lp

Can you try uploading the capture and see if there's an option to dump it in my portion of the cloud,
or maybe in the public share folder???????

I know it's pretty easy to share captures you make yourself but never tried it with a stock one from the factory.

Thanks.

@Orvillain

Can you try something for me? The QC comes with a capture that I'd love to get onto my Nano.

View attachment 29391

My Cloud ID is: don1960lp

Can you try uploading the capture and see if there's an option to dump it in my portion of the cloud,
or maybe in the public share folder???????

I know it's pretty easy to share captures you make yourself but never tried it with a stock one from the factory.

Thanks.
See if you can get these in my preset??
Mesa Red Stripe Factory Cap preset

It's inevitable that as they (slowly) nature the product, past doubters will circle back around. There's a reason everyone was super excited when this was first announced.

Even if it takes years to fulfill that vision, it's still a compelling proposition in late 2024.

Yeah I think that's why I enjoyed it so much getting on board late last year after much of the growing pain.

So here's a thing...

Me, in 2021: Capture all my amps. Put them in my Cortex Cloud account. Make a backup on the unit. Upload the backup.
Me, in 2024: Ooooo... I can see an old backup showing on my unit. I wonder if all my old captures are still there?

.. downloads backup... none of the captures work. CorOS flashes up a message saying the captures are corrupt.

GREAT BACKUP SYSTEM NEURAL! NOT!

So here's a thing...

Me, in 2021: Capture all my amps. Put them in my Cortex Cloud account. Make a backup on the unit. Upload the backup.
Me, in 2024: Ooooo... I can see an old backup showing on my unit. I wonder if all my old captures are still there?

.. downloads backup... none of the captures work. CorOS flashes up a message saying the captures are corrupt.

GREAT BACKUP SYSTEM NEURAL! NOT!
What if you download the captures from the cloud individually? Do those work?

Also, try downloading my Bogner Goldfinger and Victory VC35 captures. They should be under this same username on the Cortex Cloud. Those were made with one of the early release firmwares. I'm curious if they still work.

I can't, because they no longer exist in the cloud. But they still should exist in the backup, if that makes sense. Publishing to the cloud should not be a pre-requisite for allowing them to exist in a locally created and then uploaded backup file.
But the backup isn't local, right? The backup is tied to the cloud so if you remove the capture from the cloud I guess this is what happens?

Still doesn't really make sense though 😞

But the backup isn't local, right? The backup is tied to the cloud so if you remove the capture from the cloud I guess this is what happens?

Still doesn't really make sense though 😞
Yeah, sorry I should've been clearer.

You've got two methods of uploading stuff to the cloud:

1. You go to your presets or neural captures directory by hitting the current preset name, which opens the browser. From here you can elect to upload stuff to your profile. These are the files that you can then elect through a web browser, to make public or not.

2. You go to the global settings panel, and go to the backups sub section. Here you can click a button called "New Cloud Backup" which will wrap up all of your local user files into a monolithic backup container file, and then upload it to your account. This isn't something that is visible to other people. You're allowed 5 of them.

At some point in 2021, I must've done both of the above. When I sold my Quad Cortex in 2021, I removed the public captures I made in step 1. But I did not remove anything from step 2.

So by my reckoning, the files backed up during step 2 should still be available and usable. But QC complains that they're corrupt. I cannot say why. I cannot even confidently say it has anything or nothing to do with the files in step 1; but it would be strange if it did.

Despite the above... I've decided I am going to keep it for longer than the 14 day return period. Whether it will last longer than 6 months this time, we shall see!

1727527374427.png

I really like the form factor to be honest. And I really have grown fond of the touchscreen this time around. I honestly think my first unit was defective in some way. This one is much more responsive.

BTW - I don't find the footswitches too close together, even though I've got size 10 feet.

I think I concur with @fiftyshadesofjay though when he says the QC is designed to be more of a standalone unit than anything else. I'm about to capture some footage for a review video I'm working on, demonstrating the 4-cable-method performance versus the other two. But even putting pedals into the loops of the QC is fraught with signal level issues, and thus additional noise.

For the most part though, if you're not particularly precious about effects.... the QC has everything in the box you could ever need really. What it really lacks is super super SUPER ambient effects. Which in theory, if I can get the levels correct, I have my Meris pedals for.

Their midi implementation is crap though. It just isn't flexible enough. Again.... speaks to how they've designed the thing to just be a fast standalone device for gigging and recording. It can't really do as good a job as the Helix can as being the centrepiece of your rig. TBH, even the Axe FX III isn't as good as the Helix at that.

This whole thing of "turn down the send level to between -4dB and -6dB" is simply not a solution for 4-cable-method. It is still a lot noisier than Helix and Axe FX III, and if you turn down to -6dB then you've got a noticable drop in gain from the amp. So -6dB is too much of a level drop full stop.

Back