NDSP Quad Cortex

Had Walking On the Moon stuck in my head so set out to learn it. Naturally I wanted to get an Andy Summers tone happening and for some reason thought he ran a JC-120 and Memory Man. But was able to put a QC patch together in a couple minutes, added an EQ pedal in there and it was pretty solid. Made a similar patch on the Axe 3 and it was just not happening.

Then did a little more reading and found out it was a Plexi with the gain low and Echoplex. Put that together instead and much better. This time the Axe wasn't bad but the QC still sounded a little better for it. Also the generic Flanger on the QC sounded more like Andy Summers than the Electric Mistress model. Maybe that's because there was like 25 parameters on the Fractal and I'm not sure what was the range or color knobs.

Also props to the HX Stomp, that was super easy to dial in and sounded great too.

I half decided to sell the QC yesterday and did a factory reset and was getting ready to take pictures and list it...but now again not so sure.

I get your general point here, but, uh, Fractal's factory Andy Summers patch is pretty bang on, and it has 8 scenes covering some of the subtle shifts he's made across the years.

Logarithmic vs. Linear setting on the Volume block - has that always been there? Cool!

It wasn’t there when I owned one, I remember it was one of the little things that bothered me. Actually… wasn’t there not a volume block when it first launched?

Feel like I remember people talking about how you don’t need one because you can assign a pedal to volume on some other block to do that

It wasn’t there when I owned one, I remember it was one of the little things that bothered me. Actually… wasn’t there not a volume block when it first launched?

Feel like I remember people talking about how you don’t need one because you can assign a pedal to volume on some other block to do that
Yeah, I’m not sure when they snuck that in, or whether I’d just overlooked it before. Seems to me I was using the Gain block previously, which doesn’t have the setting. I was very pleased to see it the other day. Now let’s get log settings in the split and mixer blocks for easy crossfades! :)

I get your general point here, but, uh, Fractal's factory Andy Summers patch is pretty bang on, and it has 8 scenes covering some of the subtle shifts he's made across the years.

Oh didn't realize they had a factory patch.

Effects are a lot closer on that patch but the amp tone isn't all that close, way too warm and dark. I'll have to try swapping out the amps.

Effects are a lot closer on that patch but the amp tone isn't all that close, way too warm and dark. I'll have to try swapping out the amps.

I will say that factory amp settings across the board tend to go on the darker side for Fractal, but simply turning up the presence and treble a smidge usually gets it to exactly where I need it.

therein lies the difference in guitars. I usually struggle using anyone's patches on any unit but my own. Most people make their patches using the classic LP or Strat models. My EBMM guitars are entirely different. Even swapping between my Axis and Wolfgangs requires entirely new copies of patches.

Last edited:
therein lies the difference in guitars. I usually struggle using anyone's patches on any unit but my own. Most people make their patches using the classic LP or Strat models. My EBMM guitars are entirely different. Even swapping between my Axis and Wolfgangs requires entirely new copies of patches.

I swapped over to my Tele which is pretty bright and still wasn’t the right sound. Ended up just making a new preset with a Matchless Chieftain and Leon’s flanger block and sounds really good.

But that QC tone was ace from the get go just with stock cabs and minimal work.

I swapped over to my Tele which is pretty bright and still wasn’t the right sound. Ended up just making a new preset with a Matchless Chieftain and Leon’s flanger block and sounds really good.

But that QC tone was ace from the get go just with stock cabs and minimal work.
I pulled up the video for the song to see what Andy was playing. Lol. Worst guitar sync video ever. Copeland made me laugh.

This is literally a demo of a MIDI pedal sending a single CC message. (46 to be precise.) Oops. I mean, "GAME CHANGER!!!" :facepalm

Also seems like something NDSP could just add to the os with an update, kinda crazy to market a pedal to do an os function. I guess if it’s another generic midi pedal as well could be useful but super niche on niche

I can’t keep up, wasn’t there heavy rumors about a lesser quad cortex coming out? has that just vanished into thin air?

(Try not to respond with “soon”)

lesser quad cortex
TMP?

Joke GIF by Travis

J/k we heard rumblings about a possible Nano? QC Device. No updates I guess…

We all got distracted by the mystery FAS product, and NDSP hid behind the couch. :sofa
Seeing the fractal and line6 stuff made me remember…. Hang on wasn’t there meant to be some QC thing that came and went already? Of course nothing has been announced but wondering why the heat for the rumor was so hot and then nothing, oh well

Back