NDSP Quad Cortex

Never had a problem with it, 3 years
Now my other 2 friends that play live with the QC....
Yeah, I don’t get all the fuss. Just about every pedal that doesn’t have an integrated power supply/IEC uses a barrel jack.

If the interface between the connector and jack is within tolerance, there shouldn’t be an issue. Now if there is enough slop that you could potentially break the connection, then that’s a design flaw.

Never had a problem with it, 3 years
Now my other 2 friends that play live with the QC....

Happy Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I hesitate to even call it a "problem". When I remove power from my QC, it no longer has power.

:rollsafe

Yeah would love if it didn't turn on automatically, or if there was an option to NOT do that. Would probably be nice for racked units but not for standalone. Not a big deal though.

I still would love a more rugged laptop power supply though. At least replacements aren't horribly expensive at $35.

I do wish the QC didn't auto start when plugged in
Another "problem". When I supply power to my QC, it has power.

Just kidding, of course. I understand why some folks would prefer a switch or an option for the initial soft switch behavior. In my case, it's convenient to have one power strip that fires up power amp/ monitors along with the QC. I'm too lazy to be flipping extra switches. ;)

Just kidding, of course. I understand why some folks would prefer a switch or an option for the soft switch. In my case, to have one power strip that fires up power amp/ monitors along with the QC. I'm too lazy to be flipping extra switches. ;)

I'm starting to see this more and more. The Tonex doesn't have an on/off switch either.

I still would love a more rugged laptop power supply though.
I don't really follow the need for a more "rugged" power supply. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the word "rugged". You're not actually concerned about breaking it, are you?

Most of the laptop power supplies people have cited as potential replacements just look more bulky to me. I'm not convinced they'd do anything to improve grounding or noise floor. :idk

I don't really follow the need for a more "rugged" power supply. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the word "rugged". You're not actually concerned about breaking it, are you?

Most of the laptop power supplies people have cited as potential replacements just look more bulky to me. I'm not convinced they'd do anything to improve grounding or noise floor. :idk

To me it just stems from the wires being really thin. It feels like it's vulnerable. I don't actually have any issues with it. But laptop power supplies have much thicker wires which seem more durable.

Honestly if I were to use the QC live, I'd get a second power supply as backup, run it with an extension cable, and make sure the connector is secured to the unit somehow (like Boss has on the GT-1000).

Just kidding, of course. I understand why some folks would prefer a switch or an option for the initial soft switch behavior. In my case, it's convenient to have one power strip that fires up power amp/ monitors along with the QC. I'm too lazy to be flipping extra switches. ;)
Sure but when I had mine, if I was moving it just too a different setup or the power went out it powered on. Not a "problem" but just annoying (to me of course)

DO NOT ever inspect your speaker's voicecoil leads.......... :rofl
Yeah, the gauge of the wire is really nothing to be concerned about for 2A of DC current. You just want to be careful that the join with the connector isn't subject to frequent motion/ stress. And that's true with any gauge of wire.

Having said that, I do think that the power jack is a bit finicky on the QC. Mine's a desk diva, but I'd probably McGyver some kind of solution before bringing it on stage. Wouldn't have to be anything fancy or expensive; just take care as to how the wire is fixed to your pedal board or whatever.

DON'T EVER inspect your speaker's voicecoil leads.......... :rofl

Yeah but those are pretty well insulated within a rigid frame within a sealed box. The power supply wires are exposed and constantly being moved around.

I'm not saying it's doom and gloom, just from a hardware standpoint it seems like the weakest link.

No offense, but re-read what you just posted very carefully. (y) :LOL:

No, I get it! Those wires are really thin. But it's also really controlled...it moves on one plane and it's been designed for that. There's no external forces on those wires. Power supply wires are out in the open for people to trip over and things to be rolled over and all kinds of crap.

Granted squirrels aren't typically a problem on stage (I sure hope), but my wife keeps buying lights and decorations for our yard with the exact same thin power wires, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to repair them because of animals chewing through them or them breaking.

So kind of PTSD, but when I see the exact same wires powering up a $1500+ piece of electronics I get nervous.

Also for the record I like well designed laptop power supplies...you have the transformer and plug for the laptop, and then a separate IEC cable that could theoretically be changed out depending on the country for travel. I've almost never had one fail before the laptop hit EOL. And I like that they aren't wall warts either.

Power supply wires are out in the open for people to trip over and things to be rolled over and all kinds of crap.
Stop playing gigs with crazy mosh pits!

No, I get it too. Just putting things in perspective.

P.S. VC wires flop around in all directions, not just a single plane.
You can see this in super slow mo by shining a strobe light on them in a dark room.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about the tensile portion of the VC.

Speaker-construction.jpg

Last edited:
this quad cortex capture sound has me inspired....fingers...getting......itchy.

As posted by the author:
Here is a link to the preset. If you want the impulse response, it's the Redwitez free cab:
1960-G12M25-SM57-Cap45-1in
and
1960-G12M25-SM57-Cap45-0in
ran in the dual ir loader.

Neural DSP Technologies - Algorithmically Perfect

Archetype ecosystem, Quad Cortex, Fortin Suite, Darkglass plugins, and more.
neuraldsp.com
neuraldsp.com

Last edited:
this quad cortex capture sound has me inspired....fingers...getting......itchy.

As posted by the author:
Here is a link to the preset. If you want the impulse response, it's the Redwitez free cab:
1960-G12M25-SM57-Cap46-1in
and
1960-G12M25-SM57-Cap46-0in
ran in the dual ir loader.

Neural DSP Technologies - Algorithmically Perfect

Archetype ecosystem, Quad Cortex, Fortin Suite, Darkglass plugins, and more.
neuraldsp.com
neuraldsp.com

Good sound and all of that, but does bro really have three different EQs (one before the amp capture, one between the amp capture and IRs, and a final one after the cab and flanger, but before the delay/reverb)?

I get the first to sculp what's coming out of your guitar to hit the amp right, but if I personally needed that much in a preset....I feel like I picked the wrong IR and/or amp model/capture in the first place......

Back