NDSP Quad Cortex

If TINA is what they say it is,
TINA needs to get her sh*t together

Saturday Night Live Finger Guns GIF by HULU

I’m thoroughly enjoying watching most of the Never-Neural crowd buying QC’s now. It’s cute. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I find the discourse around NDSP's business practices more entertaining than the unit itself.

But I'm not a "never" type of dude. I could absolutely have a Neural or even IK Multimedia product down the line. Why not, if that's what excites you at whatever time? Who cares?

Honestly, I find the discourse around NDSP's business practices more entertaining than the unit itself.

But I'm not a "never" type of dude. I could absolutely have a Neural or even IK Multimedia product down the line. Why not, if that's what excites you at whatever time? Who cares?
That’s the bottom line
I don’t have to love the company but I am not about boycott a product I like or have interest in

That's a good message. They did a good job on porting the plugins...I played for a while last night and everything worked and sounded great.

Also good to hear their commitment to adding more amps and effects to the QC.

Will be curious to compare upcoming X releases to the internal blocks. The Plini Crunch is a little different than the Friedman BE, although in the same ballpark. The Plini Clean is also pretty close to the Fender Twin, but again not exactly the same.
I found the same. I also think the new cabs (compared to native QC cabs) are a little easier to dial in for more in your face, direct tones (not that I had an issue achieving that between the built in cabs and ir’s I added to the device). Could just be a case of a shiny new toy that is more enticing or maybe I just like the new ones better 🤷‍♂️. Either way I am really happy with the update though I can’t wait for the slo and nameless to drop as those were two of my favorite plugs outside of the iic suite and tone king…..

Last year I went from QC curious to buying a used one. Was really impressed with the product. Still am. If I had to sell everything but one device I would probably keep the QC.

I think if people blocked out the marketing noise and tried the actual product, most people would be really happy and impressed. That's where my focus is anyway. It's the one modeler I've used that feels like a modern device, with a good size, all in one functionality, big color touchscreen, wifi internet & cloud integration, and it sounds really good.

Of course there's drawbacks too...outside of the slow pace of development, there's the wimpy power supply, wifi stability (I haven't had issues but most have), probably other stuff I'm forgetting too.

I found the same. I also think the new cabs (compared to native QC cabs) are a little easier to dial in for more in your face, direct tones (not that I had an issue achieving that between the built in cabs and ir’s I added to the device). Could just be a case of a shiny new toy that is more enticing or maybe I just like the new ones better 🤷‍♂️. Either way I am really happy with the update though I can’t wait for the slo and nameless to drop as those were two of my favorite plugs outside of the iic suite and tone king…..

Yes I forgot to mention cabs...

I think in theory the Plini cab is supposed to be the same as the 03 Mesa V30 cab? At least the mic selection is the same. But it does sound different, the Plini version has more presence at the same settings.

Again it may be that you can tweak to get the same sounds, but it's not just a duplicate of an existing block. Which makes sense, I would assume there are either different physical amps that were used to model tones, or they likely tweaked things along the way.

Yes I forgot to mention cabs...

I think in theory the Plini cab is supposed to be the same as the 03 Mesa V30 cab? At least the mic selection is the same. But it does sound different, the Plini version has more presence at the same settings.

Again it may be that you can tweak to get the same sounds, but it's not just a duplicate of an existing block. Which makes sense, I would assume there are either different physical amps that were used to model tones, or they likely tweaked things along the way.
IIRC it was based on a Marshall 4x12 1960A/BV

Last year I went from QC curious to buying a used one. Was really impressed with the product. Still am. If I had to sell everything but one device I would probably keep the QC.

I think if people blocked out the marketing noise and tried the actual product, most people would be really happy and impressed. That's where my focus is anyway. It's the one modeler I've used that feels like a modern device, with a good size, all in one functionality, big color touchscreen, wifi internet & cloud integration, and it sounds really good.

Of course there's drawbacks too...outside of the slow pace of development, there's the wimpy power supply, wifi stability (I haven't had issues but most have), probably other stuff I'm forgetting too.

Footswitching and effects quality are still the two big strikes against it for me. Neither feel like a modern device to me

Footswitching and effects quality are still the two big strikes against it for me. Neither feel like a modern device to me
How so on the foot switching? Just too limited? I haven't really messed with that yet but I could see that being the case. Especially coming from the Fractal world where everything is so customizable and you have tap and hold functionality.

From my limited time with it, I definitely agree on effects quality (and selection).

Thinking about the "TINA" thing and PCOM...

I'm wondering if NDSP built their plugins from captures of physical amps. I always assumed it was component modeling, but if they are all in on the capture functionality, maybe that's where this robot comes in to play as they re-capture all the physical amps for the X plugins.

I mean, I doubt they built a working version of the Plini amp, more likely they captured a BE-100 or something, then made a physical mockup for the video (for some odd reason).

How so on the foot switching? Just too limited? I haven't really messed with that yet but I could see that being the case. Especially coming from the Fractal world where everything is so customizable and you have tap and hold functionality.

From my limited time with it, I definitely agree on effects quality (and selection).

Yeah, it’s just really limited compared to every other major device on the market today.

Back