NDSP Quad Cortex

Ugh, this almost looks like an Elon Musk robot announcement.

“We’re extremely proud to be one of the first companies to make native compatibility between guitar hardware and software a reality with CorOS 3.0.0,” concludes Dan Davies, Chief Marketing Officer at Neural DSP Technologies. “By utilizing TINA, our secret weapon, users experience an unparalleled level of sound authenticity throughout our product range. This development makes our software more capable than ever before, and we look forward to continuing to build on this framework.”

I don't understand why they weren't unable to port existing plugin code to the QC without a robot getting involved but, hey, DSPs are hard.
IIRC the way they did the Nameless and NTS was component-based (ish). They probed into the amp and did some component modelling; probably why the resource usage of those was high etc. Looks like they waited until TINA was up and running and used it to X the older plugins.

IIRC the way they did the Nameless and NTS was component-based (ish). They probed into the amp and did some component modelling; probably why the performance of was high etc. Looks like they waited until TINA was up and running and used it to X the older plugins.

I get that but, at the end of the day, software is software: you can port it over. I understand that migrating CPU code to DSP is not easy, mind you, but hey, they've been at this for 3+ years now.

Having a bot turning knobs is useful if you plan to model new real-life amps, and i don't quite see how that's related to CorOS 3.0.0.

They have a patent out for a robot that turns dials so that they can model amps faster.

I suspect since some of their older plugins were done differently, they must have leveraged TINA to twist dials (with something like the Behringer X Touch) in their older ampsims (Fortin Nameless, NTS maybe etc) to get the X versions out.

But....these are virtual knobs? How is a physical robot going to help?

The cripsness of the sound in that demo sounded good. The chorus and phaser sounded godawful.
if you are talking about John, ya he uses way too much , I don't generally care for his tone although his 2203 tone is good , but Rabea to me sounds much much better , maybe it the guitar ?

As I understood it…it can mix in whatever point in your signal flow you select. I assume any point in the signal flow that’s before the spot you insert the blend…and hopefully other signal paths as well. I can imagine using it to morph from one amp to another…or to morph from different efx with an expression pedal.
I never though about that use with expression pedals to blend signals like a clean and dirty amp but that true I guess you could

I've had it confirmed the robot is real.

I have no reason to doubt that, it's a very valid engineering approach. Fractal also built their own robot to model DynaCabs.

I just don't see what this has to do with plugins being ported... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think for the trailer the robot is real, as in not an animation, and the amps are just plasticy mock-ups for the trailer. The Gojira especially looks like a sticker stuck over a box.

I think for the trailer the robot is real, as in not an animation, and the amps are just plasticy mock-ups for the trailer. The Gojira especially looks like a sticker stuck over a box.

How are you liking the update?

I have no reason to doubt that, it's a very valid engineering approach. Fractal also built their own robot to model DynaCabs.

maybe it moves faster than a human , crap if they could get all X plugins out in 6 months that would be quite a feat

At Any rate , NDSP has finally done something so I am not going to pick on them at least this week

and when they do release the mini NANO cortex . I think I would be in line

I'm just speculating but if the porting proved to difficult but at the same time the TINA thing could build a neural net that's more resource efficient to run on the QC, then it would make sense to go down that path just for pushing stuff out there.

But....these are virtual knobs? How is a physical robot going to help?
There are tools that you can use to map amp sim dials to a physical pot. Stuff like the Behringer X Touch for instance; Softube also has some offerings as well etc.

Map the pots of the amp sim to one of these DAW controllers, hook TINA up to it and it should be not much different to what they'd need to do to get TINA to "profile/model/capture" (whatever they call this nowdays) a real amp. At the end of the day, TINA twists knobs.

Right, but if the "amps" for these two plugins are physical, aren't they already in the QC? Gojira is a 5153. That's pretty much what they use. Plini is mostly Friedman. What is this thing twisting?

I'm just speculating but if the porting proved to difficult but at the same time the TINA thing could build a neural net that's more resource efficient to run on the QC, then it would make sense to go down that path just for pushing stuff out there.

Even if you wanted to port plugins that way, you don't need a robot to control software. MIDI is right there.

The trailer makes it sound like they modelled the plugins rather than ported them but if this is so then why the X versions? So many questions.

I feel like they maybe announced Tina early like 3 years ago when they said their AI could make an amp in a weekend, much like the software . Tina was probably only in the early stages

Back