NDSP Quad Cortex

I'll be curious how different or better the new transpose is compared to the current pitch effect. I actually think the current one is pretty decent, a little bit of artifacts sometimes but could generally use it live. Didn't seem far off from the Helix and Fractal versions. But I don't use it much and haven't used something like the Drop or Pitchfork.

I watched the Blend mini-video a couple of times trying to figure that out and I got nowhere.....

Same here LMAO.

With the exception of side chaining a noise gate and an improved pitch shift, I’m not sure any of these other things I’d use beyond a week post release and then ignore from there on after. Of course it’s YMMV.

Same here LMAO.

With the exception of side chaining a noise gate and an improved pitch shift, I’m not sure any of these other things I’d use beyond a week post release and then ignore from there on after. Of course it’s YMMV.
I felt the same but the last use-case made it click - that one's easier to understand.

With the Blend you can basically mix between what comes before the "blend" block and the "source" signal you specify.

Going at extremes with the "Blend" dial either gives you 100% of the "Source" (bypassing everything before the "Blend" block) or cancels the "source" signal and just feeds in the blocks before the "Blend" block.

I felt the same but the last use-case made it click - that one's easier to understand. With the Blend you can basically mix between what comes before the "blend" block and the "source" signal you specif.

I’m feeling slow today. (So, it’s a normal day)

So it’s blending the the source (DI) and all the blocks before the Blend Block, and then processing everything normally in the chain that follows it?

I'll be curious how different or better the new transpose is compared to the current pitch effect. I actually think the current one is pretty decent, a little bit of artifacts sometimes but could generally use it live. Didn't seem far off from the Helix and Fractal versions. But I don't use it much and haven't used something like the Drop or Pitchfork.
From the video it seemed decent
I have not played with the Fractal pitch block that much lately but I don’t think I would be able to go 5 semi tones clean without it falling apart , I think the virtual capo was good for 2 or 3 but beyond that it becomes noticeable

I’m feeling slow today. (So, it’s a normal day)

So it’s blending the the source (DI) and all the blocks before the Blend Block, and then processing everything normally in the chain that follows it?
That's what it seems to do; much like a splitter/mixer thing but doing so without eating into another signal lane.

That's what it seems to do; much like a splitter/mixer thing but doing so without eating into another signal lane.

That makes a little more sense because my first thought was, “isnt that what the Mix knob is for on our effects blocks?” (Blending dry signal vs effected signal)

Id bet they drop a preset or two with it, to give some creative ideas for it.

Sounds near identical to me. Looks like we're going to be getting a slew of YouTube content today from various sources.

Sounds near identical to me. Looks like we're going to be getting a slew of YouTube content today from various sources.
Yeah - sounds pretty good. The lowend thing with the Match-EQ was also a good thing to see in the vid.

Yeah - sounds pretty good. The lowend thing with the Match-EQ was also a good thing to see in the vid.

The differences are small enough they could be just a difference between the recording of the wet sound and the recording of the DI with the plugin on top.

its very close , that there should be no complaints( although I am sure there will be ) honestly bump the 90-100 hz about 1.5 db for the chugs
the chords are pretty much
identical

The differences are small enough they could be just a difference between the recording of the wet sound and the recording of the DI with the plugin on top.
Could even be down to the input level calibration. The plugins IIRc were calibrated for 12.2 dBu but the Quad Cortex' input seems to be rated at 15 dBu. I wonder if NDSP accounted for that or just ported stuff over like for like.

At least Ola didn't mention or say --->

ryan seacrest game changer GIF by American Idol

:LOL:

Is the Transpose Function on the QC superior to the Virtual Capo on Fractal ?
I like the Transpose a lot better in the NDSP plugins than the Virtual Capo in the Fractal.

If I were to rank the pitch shifters I tested, this would be my ranking:

1. Line6 Poly Capo
2. Neural DSP Transpose
3. Digitech Drop
4. Fractal Virtual Capo

Last edited:
Could even be down to the input level calibration. The plugins IIRc were calibrated for 12.2 dBu but the Quad Cortex' input seems to be rated at 15 dBu. I wonder if NDSP accounted for that or just ported stuff over like for like.
Yeah - Ola's routing is a bit sub-optimal for this type of comparison:

1722340887211.png

He takes a DI from the QC's IN1 going to the Out3 then into his interface I guess. I'd have routed the IN1 to one of the USB Outputs and routed that signal into the DAW instance.

Still, given this routing, I think they sounded very close - probably impossible to tell apart in a YT video.

Cant believe I'm writing this ... but in fairness to the QC software coders / developers .... even if the two units are gain-staged identically .... and even allowing for Ola's "unusual routing choices" .... the PC based plugin -vs- the QC-X version is never going to sound the same / identical simply because the PC Audio Interface's Analog Front and Analog Back End circuitry is always going to differ from the QC Pedals' Analog Front and Analog Back End circuitry.

Its exactly the same reason why a Helix Floor Pedal Preset never sounds the same/identical to the exact same Preset in Helix Native.

Ben

Cant believe I'm writing this ... but in fairness to the QC software coders / developers .... even if the two units are gain-staged identically .... and even allowing for Ola's "unusual routing choices" .... the PC based plugin -vs- the QC-X version is never going to sound the same / identical simply because the PC Audio Interface's Analog Front and Analog Back End circuitry is always going to differ from the QC Pedals' Analog Front and Analog Back End circuitry.

Its exactly the same reason why a Helix Floor Pedal Preset never sounds the same/identical to the exact same Preset in Helix Native.

Ben
That's a very fair point but the QC can work as an USB audio interface so it can be used directly for this sort of test; that was the only thing I wanted to point out.

Back