NDSP Quad Cortex

Honestly I don't get all the hype surrounding these plugins, what is so magical and any better that I cant get out of my Fractal?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Last edited:
When did so many nerdy dorks get into guitar?

I just can’t see these guys in that crowd talking about the latest computer toy thing for guitar.

Slayer-South-of-Heaven-banner.jpg

No offense to all you nerdy dorks out there, I am one of you and I feel your pain, but damn that Sweetwater video is kinda uncomfortable. Come to think of it, I think I more associate with the term Geek anyway.

When did so many nerdy dorks get into guitar?

I just can’t see these guys in that crowd talking about the latest computer toy thing for guitar.

Slayer-South-of-Heaven-banner.jpg

No offense to all you nerdy dorks out there, I am one of you and I feel your pain, but damn that Sweetwater video is kinda uncomfortable. Come to think of it, I think I more associate with the term Geek anyway.

in the case of #2 , there is no time to talk about aliasing and accuracy of the onboard models , when your summoning the spirits of the Underworld

so the answer to the age old question " when will my original plugins work on the QC"
is never .

You will have a new plugin of that Amp model but it will be slightly different, which may or may not be ,ore pleasing to your ears

TBH for the two plugins they’ve updated to X versions that I own, they sound basically the same when you get the IO levels dialed in. My guess is these will sound basically the same on the QC too (with the same levels and playback method etc), and if anything potentially better since Neural have improved their modeling over time. (Launch amps were hit or miss, but their post launch amps and effects have generally been ace)

It’s still Neural and these dudes find ways to fuck up a sunny day, but I suspect the tones will be there. It’s the “everything else” that remains to be seen. (Native content vs DLC, subsequent porting pace etc.)

Lots of goal post moving…now even if they launch plugin compatibility it’s not technically the plugin?

The plugins are really cool for plug and play recording. QC is pretty plug and play too compared to other modelers. Having plugin blocks on the modeler doesn’t make nearly as much sense to me but hey people have to get worked up over something.

What makes me more concerned from those videos…on one hand they are previewing the software which should be out soon then say they are still working on it. You shouldn’t be shooting promo videos while you’re developing.

Another thing is the comment that their modeling has improved. What does this mean for existing models? Are they going to redo them? We heard the same thing about Helix and those weren’t redone so must be good enough?

What makes me more concerned from those videos…on one hand they are previewing the software which should be out soon then say they are still working on it. You shouldn’t be shooting promo videos while you’re developing.

Another thing is the comment that their modeling has improved. What does this mean for existing models? Are they going to redo them? We heard the same thing about Helix and those weren’t redone so must be good enough?
another interesting thing , that trip to Rabea studio , that video was recorded 10 months ago , so they had Plini and Gojira on the QC last year in Beta and its taken this long to get rid of the differences you hear , they say the biggest challenge is getting the presets to sound 100% identical
so i wonder if that's where the need for the X versions come from , a simpler way to have what the plug in sounds like match what the final QC sound is

TBH for the two plugins they’ve updated to X versions that I own, they sound basically the same when you get the IO levels dialed in. My guess is these will sound basically the same on the QC too (with the same levels and playback method etc), and if anything potentially better since Neural have improved their modeling over time. (Launch amps were hit or miss, but their post launch amps and effects have generally been ace)

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, while you can hear differences if you look for them, those are totally inconsequential IMHO. The X plugins in the QC still sound really fucking good.

But, still, it's weird going from "you can run your plugins in this box" to "we'll redo all our plugin lineup so you can run them in this box". They're not the same algorithms anymore.

another interesting thing , that trip to Rabea studio , that video was recorded 10 months ago , so they had Plini and Gojira on the QC last year in Beta and its taken this long to get rid of the differences you hear , they say the biggest challenge is getting the presets to sound 100% identical

Indeed. The reason presets don't sound the same is that the underlying models are not the same.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, while you can hear differences if you look for them, those are totally inconsequential IMHO. The X plugins in the QC still sound really fucking good.

But, still, it's weird going from "you can run your plugins in this box" to "we'll redo all our plugin lineup so you can run them in this box". They're not the same algorithms anymore.
Well that vid was from October 2023 - it wasn't shot now, before launch. Heck, it's even before the X labeling was even a thing.
If what we got in the X version of the plugins is what makes it to the QC, I'm confident it'll be great. If the X plugins are using neural network at their core instead of component-based modelling (which I pretty much think they are even from the teaser they recently put out), they probably had the X "models" trained for longer periods of time with extended data sets to nail the differences.

EDIT: looks like Plini got the X label in October 18th so 5 days before the vid Rabea put out.

Last edited:
So your Paying ~ 100-150$ or so to integrate a preset in your Device ? along with new amps and effects and built in artist presets correct?
Which BTW i sampled some of the Mesa Suite artist presets, OFC its on YouTube so hard to gauge but i found nothing special about these artist presets, i dunno maybe I'm missing something?

Don't get me wrong though i Think the QC is now a great unit even without PCOM it does check a lot of boxes for some especially the form factor
But I can say this i really don't like the company's business practices

But you know that me and my 2 cents

Back