NDSP Quad Cortex

Nolly X just dropped.

it remembers music video GIF by Epitaph Records

Killer update. LFG.

Nolly X sounds good in that vid, but those sorts of tones are commoditized these days. Easy to get from a lot of "modern" plugin suites.

The more important thing is that they're continuing to add value to older plugins with new cabs/presets/etc., and that's a pretty big deal to me. NDSP is doing a lot right. Hope it continues with the 3.0 drop....

Yeah, all the vibes can't mask that we're talking about paid DLC "expansion packs" when it comes to Quad Cortex.
I mean; I'm not surprised. And not even in a "I'm mocking it still" sort of way. Just seems to be par for the course and if it works for the people who own and use it; more power to them.

So the plugin stuff requires you actually bought the plugins and is otherwise unavailable on the hardware; correct?
Surely it depends on the plugin. Nolly has a ton of stuff that you’d find in any stock modeller - 5150, 2203, tubescreamer, mesa cab, greenbacks etc. Some have the odd amp or effect that isn’t part of the stock QC but you’d only really be aware of these if you own or have used the plugin extensively.

Yeah, all the vibes can't mask that we're talking about paid DLC "expansion packs" when it comes to Quad Cortex.
I’d agree with this more if it was simply adding to the QC, but that’s not really all it is. They are seperate plugins first and foremost that exist without the need for any quad cortex. Almost all of their value is in the fact they are dedicated seperate products. It’s just an add on feature that the sounds can be ported over to HW. I think looking at it as DLC is sort of looking at it from the opposite angle. Helix Native is the same thing in reverse.

I don’t really think that someone who buys a QC should receive every single plugin NDSP has ever made for eternity. A stock QC has a ton of what is in the plugins already, and most users would be using the plugins in their own context and QC support is a bonus.

So much of this stuff is viewed from the perspective of someone who basically ONLY uses dedicated HW modellers and that kind of misses the entire value of a plugin in the first place.

Surely it depends on the plugin. Nolly has a ton of stuff that you’d find in any stock modeller - 5150, 2203, tubescreamer, mesa cab, greenbacks etc. Some have the odd amp or effect that isn’t part of the stock QC but you’d only really be aware of these if you own or have used the plugin extensively.

I’d agree with this more if it was simply adding to the QC, but that’s not really all it is. They are seperate plugins first and foremost that exist without the need for any quad cortex. Almost all of their value is in the fact they are dedicated seperate products. It’s just an add on feature that the sounds can be ported over to HW. I think looking at it as DLC is sort of looking at it from the opposite angle. Helix Native is the same thing in reverse.

I don’t really think that someone who buys a QC should receive every single plugin NDSP has ever made for eternity. A stock QC has a ton of what is in the plugins already, and most users would be using the plugins in their own context and QC support is a bonus.

So much of this stuff is viewed from the perspective of someone who basically ONLY uses dedicated HW modellers and that kind of misses the entire value of a plugin in the first place.
True. But if I have to buy a plugin I will never use just to get (whatever the NDSP turds) call a dual detune or a synth block because they consider it as being tied to a specific plugin and NOT a table stakes item that should available on their hardware device; add it to the pile of things that continue to make this look like a nonstarter for me.

Edit meant to reply to @JiveTurkey not you mirror

I will probably get flamed here
And upset some people but has Fractal Dyna Cabs not basically done the exact same thing ?

You own an FM or AX3 and you are limited to the onboard Dyna cabs
If you want to pay $30 you can get
-another bunch of mics
- 360 placement on the cabs
- mic angle
-smoothing

So while it might be due to the current limits on the Hardware it is still offering a more in depth experience for a price , whether it is deliberate or not features are only available to end user w a cost

I agree that the value proposition is very different depending on how you run the plugins - that's why I shouted NDSP out for going back and adding a lot with Nolly X. In fact, I think that's the most they've added to any plugin with a revamp, and Nolly himself had a lot to do with that.

But from a hardware owner's perspective, it's tough to see what Line 6 has done - adding in the Catalyst hardware amps, adding in the new models sold as part of the "Metallurgy" suite - and wonder why Neural couldn't arrive at a similar accommodation.
To their credit, they're adding a few "generic" versions of some of the plugin-only models. But it's not enough, nor is it comparable.

And yes, as JT says, spacey reverbs/delays, synth blocks, etc. are table stakes on all competing platforms. This stuff shouldn't be paywalled.

And upset some people but has Fractal Dyna Cabs not basically done the exact same thing ?

-another bunch of mics
- mic angle
-smoothing

So while it might be due to the current limits on the Hardware it is still offering a more in depth experience for a price , whether it is deliberate or not features are only available to end user w a cost
Difference being (for me) is I will 1000% use dual detune vs a proprietary cab block that I may or may not need to delve into.

-another bunch of mics
- mic angle
-smoothing

I mean, Fractal had paid cab packs well before the Dynacabs. The difference was that they A)incorporated samples of those for free in factory firmware going forward B) Had other free IRs of those same cabs from other providers C) impulse responses of most cab/speaker types are ubiquitous, so you missed no functionality whatsoever by not having that particular Mesa 4x12 V30 IR.

I agree that the value proposition is very different depending on how you run the plugins - that's why I shouted NDSP out for going back and adding a lot with Nolly X. In fact, I think that's the most they've added to any plugin with a revamp, and Nolly himself had a lot to do with that.

But from a hardware owner's perspective, it's tough to see what Line 6 has done - adding in the Catalyst hardware amps, adding in the new models sold as part of the "Metallurgy" suite - and wonder why Neural couldn't arrive at a similar accommodation.
To their credit, they're adding a few "generic" versions of some of the plugin-only models. But it's not enough, nor is it comparable.

And yes, as JT says, spacey reverbs/delays, synth blocks, etc. are table stakes on all competing platforms. This stuff shouldn't be paywalled.
I Think the reality is we are going to see more and more of this , and you know what I would fine with that .

In a perfect world for me , I wish that I had a simple you unit and then I could pick like Synergy what modules I want , like if you are going to paywall something like say Nelly do it at a component level,

So I can go in and go ok , I like those room mics, or I like this space delay , let me buy that module for $40 or $50 , then I can have the amps I want , the cabs I want and just load them into the unit

Digitech did that years ago with the Stomp it was like the Hx one , single pedal but you could buy what you wanted it to be from a store online , want a tubescreamer , flanger , Analog delay , it was Coll load it up try it and purchase only what you want ,

If they are going to Paywall anyway , allowing the end users the choice of what they want , to me would be a great step fwd

Nolly… that plugin has the two amp models that I consider to be my favourite. Bought the plugin back when it came and was just blown away.. the Clean amp and the White.
But I must say that with my tele, all I needed was the White.
I tried and I tried and I tried to match that amp tone with Stomp, headrush and other plugins but it’s just not doable.
(Didn’t try with same IR though… but who cares… it’s the amp).

Honestly the Nolly IRs are probably worth the plugin cost alone also.

The Nolly White amp is seriously fucking mojo. Period. One of the best amp models I’ve ever played with. Cool to see it updated.

I Think the reality is we are going to see more and more of this , and you know what I would fine with that .

In a perfect world for me , I wish that I had a simple you unit and then I could pick like Synergy what modules I want , like if you are going to paywall something like say Nelly do it at a component level,

So I can go in and go ok , I like those room mids, or I like this space delay , let me buy that module for $40 or $50 , then I can have the amps I want , the cabs I want m and just load them into the unit

Digitech did that years ago with the Stomp it was like the Hone , single pedal but you could buy what you wanted it to be from a store online , want a tubescreamer , flanger , Analog delay , it was Coll load it up try it and purchase only what you want ,

If they are going to Paywall anyway , allowing the end users the choice of what they want , to me would be a great step fwd

You must be that guy filling out the product surveys that tell IK Multimedia their current product strategy rocks!

You must be that guy filling out the product surveys that tell IK Multimedia their current product strategy rocks!
IMHO they all could use some work on product strategy. The manufacturers of modeling units have sucked big time in this area for a good while.

Back