NAM pedal coming soon

DLC86

Roadie
A guy on the NAM facebook group posted these renders of the pedal he's working on. It can run NAM models at their highest resolution and pre-orders should start in about a month (price around 500$)

387860215_6306333656139588_5078370785443754365_n.jpg
387857301_6306333742806246_5938993967402417757_n.jpg

While NAM lets smaller developers play the digital modeling game, I feel like it's something of a race of "who hits the market first" with this stuff for any staying power. To me the St. Rock Imperium misses the mark in a big way by not having much physical control like this box does. So this is at least in the right direction, but I don't think this will be "it", the device that becomes the defacto NAM player product.

If those knobs are not infinite rotaries just with a standard knob hat on them, then it quickly runs into real inconveniences when you need to fiddle with the knobs back and forth every time you swap models if you want to adjust anything. That's more ok on a compact pedal than on something this size.

Also ugly font choices on the knob labels... :sofa

The guy that hits the homerun with NAM will have a $150-$200 pedal.
As much as I want to agree, I know that's a big ask because it's going to mean producing it at scale.

Not sure this rendering reflects the needs of any one in particular, and it's not clear to me that it's the product of designing for use cases (editing vs gigging) and workflows (such as IR handling). We just don't know enough to be critical, but those renders bring to mind a lot of questions....

Think it'd be more interesting to start with an ultra-minimalist design; that would also dramatically drive down costs, simplify production, make it more pedalboard-friendly, and almost certainly result in something more useful to a wider audience.

$500 is too expensive, IMO. The guy that hits the homerun with NAM will have a $150-$200 pedal.
I get the impression from the other pedals on the market that the processing power required to run full-fat NAM captures will make options in that range difficult to produce.

Poly and MOD can only run Nano captures. I believe St Rock has said the Amperium doesn't have the juice to run NAM captures at all. These are all $400+. Now, maybe if you dedicate the processing power entirely to running NAM captures, more options open up, but NAM captures seem to be pretty resource heavy, thus requiring beefier (and more expensive) processors.

That said, I am no expert, and I'm only extrapolating from a few points.

Is there a website for this? I get that it’s a render, but how do you navigate the interface? No joystick or a d-pad… touchscreen?
I saw the facebook page just a few days ago. They should start pre-orders with the new year

How much will a pedalboard cost with the upcoming NAM player? adding compressor, delays, drives, reverbs etc, a minimal signal chain that could tackle a 1 hour gig of 80, 90 and 2000 music.

Lets say that Line6 M5 ($169.99) takes care of post NAM pedal stuff. A Suhr woodshed compressor($149) and a Friedman Buxom boost ($199) takes care of the pre NAM pedal part. NAM pedal $499.99

That is a cost of $1,017.98 on pedals alone, assuming you already have a pedalboard and power supply.

Just get a Fractal FM3 and enjoy way better FXs, routing options, audio interface, best in class Amp and cab modeling etc.

How much will a pedalboard cost with the upcoming NAM player? adding compressor, delays, drives, reverbs etc, a minimal signal chain that could tackle a 1 hour gig of 80, 90 and 2000 music.
Any box with enough horsepower to run NAM should be able to handle a suite of those other standard effects as well.

Back