An ode to Strymon

Genuinely, the Timeline and BigSky just feel like "home" - I'm so comfortable with them and love their tones. I hope that one day they do a v2 of these pedals, with more tonal possibilities, but essentially the same quick workflow and excellent midi switching options that have made them the solid go-to's that they are.
I agree, I though I hope they include the special sauce they did with the v2 little pedals, because they sound fucking great.

I don’t like Strymon stuff at all because when you engage the effect there is a change in the dry signal eq . It sounds a bit like a v eq curve . You may not necessarily notice it in a mix but once you have you can’t unhear it.

I don’t like Strymon stuff at all because when you engage the effect there is a change in the dry signal eq . It sounds a bit like a v eq curve . You may not necessarily notice it in a mix but once you have you can’t unhear it.
This doesn't match my experience at all, but I can't say if this is the case on the old V1 pedals or Timeline/Mobius/BigSky.

The newer pedals I have are all as transparent as it gets to my ears.

1697804837872.png
A sine tone going through my BigSky, with the mix at 0% and the preset active in order to get a DSP-signal comparison to the source.

Here is the same thing with white noise.
1697804961178.png

Red is the dry tone, white is the BigSky.

You can see there is a very light roll off of frequencies below 50hz, and a fast but light roll off of frequencies starting around 17kHz.

Certainly nothing like a V-eq curve. I think you're imagining it.

View attachment 12335A sine tone going through my BigSky, with the mix at 0% and the preset active in order to get a DSP-signal comparison to the source.

Here is the same thing with white noise.
View attachment 12336

Red is the dry tone, white is the BigSky.

You can see there is a very light roll off of frequencies below 50hz, and a fast but light roll off of frequencies starting around 17kHz.

Certainly nothing like a V-eq curve. I think you're imagining it.
Why does the sine with mix on 0 have that heavy an overtone content and why do the odd ones dominate the even so extreme is it supposed to mimic a push-pull power section?

This doesn't match my experience at all, but I can't say if this is the case on the old V1 pedals or Timeline/Mobius/BigSky.

The newer pedals I have are all as transparent as it gets to my ears.
I still hear it in the few V2 I have tried. It’s less noticeable in a full rig but if you get the pedal and a good clean tube amp it’s pretty noticeable to me.

Why does the sine with mix on 0 have that heavy an overtone content and why do the odd ones dominate the even so extreme is it supposed to mimic a push-pull power section?
Might've driven the input too hard, can't remember. The noise one is more useful anyway I think, to dispute the claim of a 'V curve' frequency response.

Admired Styrmon pedals for a long time and recently jumped in by picking up a Big Sky and Timeline. Only negative I hold so far is the lack of an on/off or bypass switch. I guess you could do that via MIDI but if you’re not doing any MIDI (which I am), it seems like you outta luck.

How do you turn a preset on???
You select via the three foot switches- three presets within each bank (foot switch A/B/C). Press left & center switch to bank up and center & right switch to bank down.

But no footswitch to bypass. You can assign the Mix parameter with MIDI to make it zero and fake it but omitting a bypass seems like a big miss. There is an expression Jack but I don’t believe you can program it to be a bypass. If I’m wrong, please tell me!..

You select via the three foot switches- three presets within each bank (foot switch A/B/C). Press left & center switch to bank up and center & right switch to bank down.

But no footswitch to bypass. You can assign the Mix parameter with MIDI to make it zero and fake it but omitting a bypass seems like a big miss. There is an expression Jack but I don’t believe you can program it to be a bypass. If I’m wrong, please tell me!..
Just...press the preset button again to bypass the preset:

1705419103233.png

What happens when you press the currently active switch??? :unsure:

Back