MERIS MERCURYX REVERB PEDAL

I hate that stupid "floating balls in space" UI they've got.

I'm not really in the mood for pedal shopping right now I suppose, but I can't get excited about this. Ever since trying the LVX I more or less just wrote Meris off. Decent sounds, sure. But they make you work so hard for the basics, and at the end of the day, they don't sound any better than a lot of the competition.

My current options are perfectly safe - Helix, Ax3, Hardwire RV7, TC HoF 2 X4 (really underrated!), and the BigSky.... I just don't see what this pedal (and the LVX) brings to the table other than massive amounts of frustration.

I'm not really in the mood for pedal shopping right now I suppose, but I can't get excited about this. Ever since trying the LVX I more or less just wrote Meris off. Decent sounds, sure. But they make you work so hard for the basics, and at the end of the day, they don't sound any better than a lot of the competition.

My current options are perfectly safe - Helix, Ax3, Hardwire RV7, TC HoF 2 X4 (really underrated!), and the BigSky.... I just don't see what this pedal (and the LVX) brings to the table other than massive amounts of frustration.

You don't have to use that format. There's option to turn it off and use just text on screen.

I expected to hate it but liked it OK.
Ever since trying the LVX I more or less just wrote Meris off. Decent sounds, sure. But they make you work so hard for the basics, and at the end of the day, they don't sound any better than a lot of the competition.
100%. Dumb pedal. It gives you super basic 3 delay models, then you have to build everything yourself. And it's not even like there's a ton of options and power like there is on an Axe-Fx or a plugin, so why would anyone sit around and twiddle with the LVX? It's half baked, ugh to all the "LVX, so powerful" reaction from oblivious guitarists. Immediate turn off that one.
Buuuuut I have hope with the MercuryX. Cus reverb algorithms are what they are, and I like their reverb algos.

100%. Dumb pedal. Super basic 3 delay models, then you have to build everything yourself. And it's not even like there's a ton of options and power like there is on an Axe-Fx or a plugin, so why would anyone sit around and twiddle with the LVX? Immediate turn off that one.
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that tbh. I get it, I really do. Slap a cassette modulator into the feedback position, do some other crazy shit and wayyyheeeyyyy... you've got your own custom rolled tape delay. It took you 20minutes to get there like, but you've got it. Meanwhile I've got the exact same sound in a dozen other pedals where I can just turn three knobs?? It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Buuuuut I have hope with the MercuryX. Cus reverb models are what they are, and I like their reverb models.
They definitely sound good. I had the Mercury7 at one point and honestly I just found it make me less creative, if that makes sense. The sonic signature of the few algorithms in there would always push me down the Youtube ambient guitarist route, which is... I mean, I'm adjacent to that stuff but it isn't all I do. But that pedal didn't inspire me like the MXR Reverb does, for example.

You don't have to use that format. There's option to turn it off and use just text on screen.
Yeah totally. I have tried it quite a bit, and I did find that option. But it didn't really cure my antipathy towards it. Which is a shame because I love what Meris are about in spirit, I just don't like their products very much.

The idea behind lvx / mercuryx or the modular system is to get people out of the boring mold of what is out there. You don't need to build a custom rolled tape delay if you already have it, duh :p But if you don't have something that does it then you sure can, however the idea is to build something you DO NOT have or something unique that isn't in some random boring pedal that's been done 094593494 times or as much as a boring tube screamer.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that tbh. I get it, I really do. Slap a cassette modulator into the feedback position, do some other crazy shit and wayyyheeeyyyy... you've got your own custom rolled tape delay. It took you 20minutes to get there like, but you've got it. Meanwhile I've got the exact same sound in a dozen other pedals where I can just turn three knobs?? It just doesn't make sense to me at all.
Yaaaaaaas 100% I love you kiss me
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
They definitely sound good. I had the Mercury7 at one point and honestly I just found it make me less creative, if that makes sense. The sonic signature of the few algorithms in there would always push me down the Youtube ambient guitarist route, which is... I mean, I'm adjacent to that stuff but it isn't all I do. But that pedal didn't inspire me like the MXR Reverb does, for example.
The '78 algorithms do more!
Which is a shame because I love what Meris are about in spirit, I just don't like their products very much.
100000%

The idea behind lvx / mercuryx or the modular system is to get people out of the boring mold of what is out there. You don't need to build a custom rolled tape delay if you already have it, duh :p But if you don't have something that does it then you sure can, however the idea is to build something you DO NOT have or something unique that isn't in some random boring pedal that's been done 094593494 times or as much as a boring tube screamer.
Yes. But if you want to sit around and do that, you have so many better tools to do it with instead of a dinky pedal with a 2.5"(?) screen, some knobs, and some basic modules it gives you.

I don't think there is a single sound in the LVX that I couldn't get with my Axe FX 3, Helix, or some pedals with some clever routing - bearing in mind the Timeline has an FX loop insert... you can pretty much do a lot of what the LVX does with a Timeline, overdrive, chorus, flanger, and EQ pedal in the loop of it.

I know that would be crazy unwieldy, but the point is... the LVX isn't really doing anything unique.

I sooooo very nearly bought one, but every time I went out and tried it, I hated the user interface and the workflow, and I didn't find the sounds any more impressed than afforementioned options.

Not saying I won't succumb to GAS at some point. But last year I bought the Eventide H90 for near enough £900... and it lasted about 3 months before I was pissed off and bored of it!

People, please leave a comment to vote on a MercuryX preset sharing platform like the LVX has! The sooner it's up the better since MercuryX is in the wild now!

So had some time with it and it's amazing. This is just messing with the presets so far and tweaking some of the knobs here and there! I had the Strymon BigSky before in the past and while it is great, I don't feel like I miss it or feel like MercuryX couldn't do something it can.

So had some time with it and it's amazing. This is just messing with the presets so far and tweaking some of the knobs here and there! I had the Strymon BigSky before in the past and while it is great, I don't feel like I miss it or feel like MercuryX couldn't do something it can.
How do you feel about the reverse? Can this do anything the BigSky cannot?

Can this do anything the BigSky cannot?
Assign LFO/envelope/sequence/etc. modifiers, has dry effects, etc.

Oh you mean you knew these things already and were just trying to get a first hand account of the thing? Then sorry, dunno (yet).

Back