NAD

spawnofthesith

Rock Star
Browsing CL today, saw a 40 watt xxx combo listed by the local used shop for $200. Took the BE-OD I got from the same shop a few weeks ago back and took this home for $100 out the door

Seems a bit obscure - very- little info, user reports, or clips on the web.

Pots are a lil scratchy and needs a foot switch but I took it to practice tonight and had a great time with it. Definitely does the brootz in spades on the ultra channel. Channel one has two modes, rhythm and crunch. Did not try crunch at all but “rhythm” is a very serviceable clean tone. I was wondering if I would run out of headroom at only 40 watts, but that wasn’t a problem at all. Seems like the cleans can get even louder than the high gain channel tbh. Very impressed, and hard not to be at the price point lol. Excellent option in the arsenal for. Portable on the go rig. Imma find a sticker of John mayers face to put on the mud flap girl

4-B8-ADD2-B-2-E54-4-E48-9-C6-B-21-A0-A54-AB220.jpg

Nice find. Don't see the 40 watt combo come up often. The XXX is one of Peavey's high gain sleeper amps, but it's starting to catch on. It was the next step in the evolution of their ultra series. Enormous amounts of gain, it's easy to get oversaturated. The XXX was the basis for the JSX. It's also the same amp as the 3120.

There's a little convoluted naming with that group of amps because Joe Satraini leaving Peavey. Started as the XXX and JSX. At one point the XXX was renamed 3120, but came with EL34's instead of 6L6's. Then when Satraini left Peavey the JSX was relabeled the XXX II

I think the premp of those amplifiers is quite similar to the Rockmaster rack preamp, quite a nice one.
Are they all related to the Ultra line of amps?

I had a Triple XXX amp for a bit, really enjoyed it. Using the FX return as a global master made it really easy to get awesome quiet tones.

Shitloads of gain, almost too much but was fun none the less. EQ is kind of powerful but with a small sweet spot. Damping feature is very cool, I preferred loose and occasionally the middle one.

Are they all related to the Ultra line of amps?

I had a Triple XXX amp for a bit, really enjoyed it. Using the FX return as a global master made it really easy to get awesome quiet tones.

Shitloads of gain, almost too much but was fun none the less. EQ is kind of powerful but with a small sweet spot. Damping feature is very cool, I preferred loose and occasionally the middle one.
yes, I think so, another cousin. Probably one of the 'to-go' circuits of James Brown, who I am assuming is the designer.
The EQ is actually active, that's why it reacts and feels different to the standard tone controls in most of the amps out there

Great score! Made me think of a Peavey Duel 212 I used to own -- great tones and super loud, and kind of a sleeper amp most people haven't heard about.

Sweet!

The XXX and XXL were mainstays for me for about a decade. Still have the XXL because it’s not worth the hassle of selling and it’s been a reliable backup for nearly 20 years now.

IMG_0823.jpeg

Not a big fan of the clean channel but man, I squeezed water from rocks with those dirt channels. Not a ton of difference between the two amps, either. The only noticeable difference is the tube power section vs solid state, but tonally they’re extremely close to each other.

Browsing CL today, saw a 40 watt xxx combo listed by the local used shop for $200. Took the BE-OD I got from the same shop a few weeks ago back and took this home for $100 out the door

Seems a bit obscure - very- little info, user reports, or clips on the web.

Pots are a lil scratchy and needs a foot switch but I took it to practice tonight and had a great time with it. Definitely does the brootz in spades on the ultra channel. Channel one has two modes, rhythm and crunch. Did not try crunch at all but “rhythm” is a very serviceable clean tone. I was wondering if I would run out of headroom at only 40 watts, but that wasn’t a problem at all. Seems like the cleans can get even louder than the high gain channel tbh. Very impressed, and hard not to be at the price point lol. Excellent option in the arsenal for. Portable on the go rig. Imma find a sticker of John mayers face to put on the mud flap girl

4-B8-ADD2-B-2-E54-4-E48-9-C6-B-21-A0-A54-AB220.jpg

Great amp. I have owned every iteration of the Triple XXX series and I gigged the FX version of this one quite a bit.

Thanks guys! Gonna try it through some of my cabs later today and see how different speakers/closed back sounds

Great amp. I have owned every iteration of the Triple XXX series and I gigged the FX version of this one quite a bit.

Do you happen to know what alternative footswitches might work with this one? Tried about a half dozen of what they had at the shop and nothing would change the channels, most of them would switch the volume boost on and off though. Looks like the fx version uses DIN and thats what mostly seems to be coming when I google but this one is just standard 1/4'

Thanks guys! Gonna try it through some of my cabs later today and see how different speakers/closed back sounds

Do you happen to know what alternative footswitches might work with this one? Tried about a half dozen of what they had at the shop and nothing would change the channels, most of them would switch the volume boost on and off though. Looks like the fx version uses DIN and thats what mostly seems to be coming when I google but this one is just standard 1/4'

It's been a good 10 years or so but I think my bandit footswitch worked with the non FX one I had. Please dont take that 100% though. I just recently grabbed one of THESE for my Red Stripe Bandit because I lost the one I had.

It's been a good 10 years or so but I think my bandit footswitch worked with the non FX one I had. Please dont take that 100% though. I just recently grabbed one of THESE for my Red Stripe Bandit because I lost the one I had.

For sure. I emailed Peavey too. I was hoping my Hosa 2 button would work, but they had a similar one at the shop that didn't. But I guess it might still be worth checking the one I own

Congrats! I have always wanted a Triple X but timing and size and that ugly mudflap tread plate that always tells me I should be buying another Boogie instead has always sabotaged the purchase. As well as them now being just old enough I worry about needing serviced. I still really want one. This combo has caught my eye a few times because combo and more restrained looking. Report back once you get some more loud time with it \m/

Nice! That is a steal at $100! Dayyum.

XXX was designed by the legend James Brown for George Lynch---and was going to be his Signature
Amp with Peavey, and then the deal fell through and Peavey put it out anyways. Thanks for the R&D,
George!! :LOL:
Holy F I didn't even see that part!

Back