NAD: Mesa Fillmore 100

TubeStack

Shredder
IMG_4863_Original.jpeg

I bought this Fillmore 100 head a little over a week ago and am really enjoying it!

Got it used for a great price and it seems to be in basically new condition. Didn’t come with the slip cover or Mesa footswitch, unfortunately, although they did include a generic switch (don’t really care because my Stomp handles that via Suhr Micro Midi anyway).

Shipped all the way from BC to Ontario in four days with no issues. Great packing job + super fast shipping from Long & McQuade.

Been using it in 100W mode with one of my Recto 2x12s and it sounds fantastic. Running boost, drive, phase + vibe pedals in front and my Stomp In The Loop™ for everything else (delays, noise gate, chorus/flange, etc). Guitars have been my Core 594 and Custom 22.

Getting a really great classic rock crunch out of Drive mode, honestly took about 5 minutes to dial it in, and I’ve basically stayed there ever since. Boosting with my JHS Prestige and/or Keeley Fuzz Head and MXR CBMOD. Super nice cleans, as well, and love the reverb. Played around a bit with Hi mode, but so far prefer Drive, overall.

It’s actually not too far off from my beloved Electra Dyne’s blue channel, though it has an even spongier attack/feel, yet somehow feels less compressed, with more highs available, and the overall character of the gain is fuzzier, more tweed and less JTM flavour. Very addictive and fun to play, sounds killer for blues rock to hard rock, which is where I live most of the time.

Lightest and easiest-to-move 100W head I’ve ever owned, at 36 lbs in a nice, sleek and pretty small headshell. :love

I’m hoping to get it out to a band practice this week (with a Mesa Trad 4x12), so we’ll see how it does there, but so far I am really digging it at home. :rawk

Last edited:
Ugh! I've been simultaneously waiting for and dreading a positive review on this one :nails

Sounds great for the non-heavies and a kindred spirit (because Mesa) but different flavor from the 'Dyne. Very interested to see how it shakes out.

Why is the 100 watter so hard to find on these?

Not sure, but I noticed that, too. Seems like they make them in smaller batches? I've only ever seen them in stock when they first came out, and then saw one used one, prior to this one. Also part of why I jumped on it.

Bringing it to band practice tonight. :banana

Now my usual dilemma: whether to bring my Electra Dyne too, just in case I don't love the Fillmore in this setting and want to switch back. Or, force myself to go all-in on the new one for an evening…

Also, gotta say, I can't believe how small and light this head is for a 100W tube head, it's crazy easy to move around, love that aspect already.

I think the transformers are smaller and lighter than the Dyne's, in addition to the smaller head shell. Have also heard the Fillmores aren't as loud as your usual 50-100 watters, so we'll see. But even if I have to get the master up to the 11 o'clock/noon range to equal the Dyne's (comical) volume at 9 o'clock, that should still be fine and leave me with room to spare.

No way would I lug both. Give it a full practice; ElectraDyne envy be damned \m/

I do find when I don't bring the usual favourite, whether it's an amp or guitar, I just deal with and adjust to the new one and don't spend half the night wondering if I should switch back to my comfort zone/familiar favourite.

I had fun with the Fillmore 100 last night! Great sounding amp and very easy to dial in.

I still switched back to my Electra Dyne halfway through the practice, though... :grin :sofa

Back