Might've just went Full Turbo™

Happy to report that the Morley Hum X completely solved the problem!

The FM9 in 4cm is DEAD quiet now, it’s actually blowing my mind how quiet it is. Sounds and feels crazy good, too. No ‘tone suck’ whatsoever and actually sounds better than plugging straight in.

Really, really happy with it!
Great news. Remind me what amp you are using.

Happy to report that the Morley Hum X completely solved the problem!

The FM9 in 4cm is DEAD quiet now, it’s actually blowing my mind how quiet it is. Sounds and feels crazy good, too. No ‘tone suck’ whatsoever and actually sounds better than plugging straight in.

Really, really happy with it!

That's interesting. I had annoying hum just running my FM3 into a Bella FX loop from the same power outlet, with a humbuster cable. So not even 4CM.

Having spent so much money on gear this year, I was reticent to spend another $100 CAD on a Morley or Ebtech hum eliminator, only to discover that it didn't help, but your news is encouraging.

Just to be clear, you bought a Morley Hum Exterminator, and not an Ebtech Hum X ? I'm guessing they're the same internally anyway.

I have a small pedalboard anyway, with the Bella, but I was thinking perhaps I could eliminate the board and use the FM3 for everything.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you bought a Morley Hum Exterminator, and not an Ebtech Hum X ?

Yes, it's the Morley, which was was easier and faster to get here. And from what I've read, it's the same product under a different brand (I think Morley acquired EBTech?).

However, it's called the Hum X, not Eliminator.

Just added it's called Hum X, not Eliminator. ^^^

Oh I see. They must have only recently updated the product name along with the acquisition or something, because the old name stull persists on Amazon Canada here; hence my confusion. (Guessing you're in the US) ,,, Thanks for the clarification!

Oh I see. They must have only recently updated the product name along with the acquisition or something, because the old name stull persists on Amazon Canada here; hence my confusion. (Guessing you're in the US) ,,, Thanks for the clarification!

No, you're right, it's the Hum Exterminator!

(There's also a “Hum Eliminator” that is a different product and I read your post as that, super tired, haha.)

Also, I'm in Canada too and got mine at avshop.ca. Super fast, came the day after I ordered it.

No, you're right, it's the Hum Exterminator!

(There's also a “Hum Eliminator” that is a different product and I read your post as that, super tired, haha.)

Also, I'm in Canada too and got mine at avshop.ca. Super fast, came the day after I ordered it.

Haha. No worries. I was confused by the similarity in the products too!

My Axe III also sounds really killer in 4-cable-method with my Diezel VH4. But I have to make sure I set the output pads to the correct values, to optimize the DAC's for noise. I was super happy with that when I discovered it and is what put the FM9 on my mind. But right now, I'm not gonna dive into that world just yet.

These 3rd gen Fractal products are head and shoulders above the 1st and 2nd gen ones IMHO.

I had an FX-8 many years ago, and just found it quite disappointing.

I'm bringing my FM9T to practice tonight for the first time, should be fun. I am trying it out for all effects, there are no extra pedals or anything beyond a Dunlop mini X for wah. The FM9 doesn't really have a great way to run additional pedals if you're already using in/out 3 for 4cm, as in/out 2 is XLR-only, but in a way it's good because it's forcing me to really try using only it for everything.

I've always used a couple real drive pedals with the HXFX and/or Stomp and my amp, so we'll see. I have been really digging the Fractal drives at home, though. With any effects unit, the hardest pedal to replace/replicate has always been my Keeley Fuzz Head. It's a unique fuzz/OD and I've been hooked on it boosting a dirty Mesa or Marshall for like, ten years.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes!

I'll be using this:

81FE75D6-666D-43F1-AC72-33F0161CA128.jpeg

… with this:

4DB03155-EC0F-4D35-B8A4-5F767500C674.jpeg

I'm bringing my FM9T to practice tonight for the first time, should be fun. I am trying it out for all effects, there are no extra pedals or anything beyond a Dunlop mini X for wah. The FM9 doesn't really have a great way to run additional pedals if you're already using in/out 3 for 4cm, as in/out 2 is XLR-only, but in a way it's good because it's forcing me to really try using only it for everything.

I've always used a couple real drive pedals with the HXFX and/or Stomp and my amp, so we'll see. I have been really digging the Fractal drives at home. With any effects unit, the hardest pedal to replace/replicate has always been my Keeley Fuzz Head. It's a unique fuzz/OD and I've been hooked on it boosting a dirty Mesa or Marshall for like, ten years.

I'll be using this:

View attachment 807

… with this:

View attachment 808
That rig is :chef:chef:chef:chef:chef

I've always used a couple real drive pedals with the HXFX and/or Stomp and my amp, so we'll see. I have been really digging the Fractal drives at home, though. With any effects unit, the hardest pedal to replace/replicate has always been my Keeley Fuzz Head. It's a unique fuzz/OD and I've been hooked on it boosting a dirty Mesa or Marshall for like, ten years.

I'll be using this:

View attachment 807

… with this:

View attachment 808
The Mesa stuff looks great!

So the FM9 was absolutely amazing in 4cm with the Mesa! Really had a great time it. What also impressed me was how much better my core tone sounded and felt, even without any effects, compared to my HXFX-in-front/Stomp in amp loop setup. And the delays and modulations are just out of this world, love them. Also dug the SD1 model in place of my MXR CBMOD, though it still needs tweaking.

I do think I'll be trying to incorporate the Keeley Fuzz Head into in/out 2 using a short XLR>TS cable, though. I just don't seem be able to be totally happy without that pedal. I'll probably be asking for help in a different thread…. :)

All in all, I'm keeping the FM9 and likely selling the HXFX and Stomp.

Back