Might've just went Full Turbo™

Really great to hear! What do your patches look like - effects pre and post? And do you use multiple amp channels on the Mesa or just one?

My patches are pretty simple and I built them using the 4cm template that Fractal tosses out as an afterthought on the absolute last preset… ;)

Wah > phase or uni-vibe > drives in front of the amp, and delays with or without clean boost (along with noise gate from Fractal i/o) in amp's loop. I use the Mesa's actual reverb on cleans.

I did have to lower Output 1 by 6 dB (which I'm also doing when using Output 2 now for the Fuzz Head, in addition to turning off the noise gate).

My patches are pretty simple and I built them using the 4cm template that Fractal tosses out as an afterthought on the absolute last preset… ;)

Wah > phase or uni-vibe > drives in front of the amp, and delays with or without clean boost (along with noise gate from Fractal i/o) in amp's loop. I use the Mesa's actual reverb on cleans.

I did have to lower Output 1 by 6 dB (which I'm also doing when using Output 2 now for the Fuzz Head, in addition to turning off the noise gate).
Cool - thanks for sharing. Easy peasy- sounds great.

Man, I am getting really great sounds out of the IIc+ model, using my Lone Star 2x12 and Katana 100 as a power amp.

I have a gig tonight and am thinking of trying it out there. It would be my first ever gig with a modelling amp and not a tube amp.

I'm just not sure if I want to deal with setting up the layouts and switches, etc, in the time between work and then heading to the gig.

Man, I am getting really great sounds out of the IIc+ model, using my Lone Star 2x12 and Katana 100 as a power amp.

I have a gig tonight and am thinking of trying it out there. It would be my first ever gig with a modelling amp and not a tube amp.

I'm just not sure if I want to deal with setting up the layouts and switches, etc, in the time between work and then heading to the gig.
I feel you. I am rebuilding my board after last night's practice before tonight's gig as well. I'd say if you are going to do it; I'd break down and fire up FM edit on the wife's laptop and get your switching sorted. You can do it!

Haha, thanks for the tips and encouragement, @JiveTurkey :beer

I do have a layout all set up for 4cm with the Electra Dyne, so I can just save a second copy and tweak the I/Os and insert the IIC+ model. Would also set up a cab model to send to FOH, probably Fractal version of the Lone Star?

I just usually would like to try this at practice before an actual gig, but there's been no time the past couple weeks.

If I try it, I would also bring the Electra Dyne head as a security blanket / safety net, and keep it in the van, I think...:grin

I played 2 or 3 gigs with both a half stack and the AX8 to the board. The last gig I didn’t even turn the amp on, that was it for me. Haven’t played with an amp on purpose since. Live, anyway.

Would also set up a cab model to send to FOH, probably Fractal version of the Lone Star?

I'm just realizing I would need to run a dual amp setup in the FM9 for this ^^^?

One amp set to "SS PWR AMP + CAB" in the Advanced page of the Amp block, for the Katana/real Lone Star cab, and then one set to ""FRFR"" for the FOH feed?

It's interesting, because in the manual, it tells you to set the Amp block to "SS PWR AMP + CAB" for a power amp + cab setup, but in the section about when running that setup + a FOH feed, it says nothing about it.

It's interesting, because in the manual, it tells you to set the Amp block to "SS PWR AMP + CAB" for a power amp + cab setup, but in the section about when running that setup + a FOH feed, it says nothing about it.
I will say with the BL and the FM9; I messed with '0' advanced settings. No impedance curve stuff; no advanced output parameters. And the FOH feed sounded great. The FM3 seemed a lot more prone to "needing" these tweaks for me.

I will say with the BL and the FM9; I messed with '0' advanced settings. No impedance curve stuff; no advanced output parameters. And the FOH feed sounded great. The FM3 seemed a lot more prone to "needing" these tweaks for me.
I dont even understand what 3/4 of that shit does and they all sound like very minor EQ tweaks to me.

I dont even understand what 3/4 of that s**t does and they all sound like very minor EQ tweaks to me.
Speaker Impedance Curves made a huge difference for me in the FM3. I did not have that experience with the 9 for whatever reason?

Speaker Impedance Curves made a huge difference for me in the FM3. I did not have that experience with the 9 for whatever reason?
I dont even fully understand what that’s for to be honest. I’m far from a power user. I bring up an amp, bump around for an IR, a little delay and verb and make music. I’ve messed with them. I’m glad they’re there, better more control than less but I’ve fallen down the keep making it worse with every mouse click trap too.

I should know this - but were you doing 4CM with the BL or no? How did you have your FM9 setup…

I dont even fully understand what that’s for to be honest. I’m far from a power user. I bring up an amp, bump around for an IR, a little delay and verb and make music. I’ve messed with them. I’m glad they’re there, better more control than less but I’ve fallen down the keep making it worse with every mouse click trap too.

The Impedance Curves REALLY allow you to tweak the highs/lows in a different way than an EQ, it’s more in the feel area than tonally. I still haven’t tried messing with them with actual cabs, but they make a LOT of difference with IR’s. Not totally necessary to get a great tone, but playing around with them can take a killer tone and add in any kind of feel things you may be missing out on or don’t even know you’re missing out on.

I’ve definitely had plenty of times I had a tone I was satisfied with and then changed an impedance curve and went “ohhhhh, snap, that’s even better!”

If you are using the Mesa's preamp; just split the path and send the cab block to FOH.

Wait, I’m getting confused because we’re talking a Mesa model (IIc+) and I have a Mesa head in real life (E Dyne).

To clarify: I'm hoping to use the FM9 IIc+ amp model, with power amp modelling turned on, into the 'Katana 100 Power Amp In,' into my real Lone Star 2x12.

No Electra Dyne use at all. :eek:

And maybe run a feed with cab modelling turned on to FOH .

As for the advanced settings, I don't mess with them much either, beyond power amp sag, but I have actually noticed a big difference changing ""FRFR"" to "SS PWR AMP + CAB" under Advanced > Output Mode in the Amp block.

Just thinking now, it may be easier for tonight (if I do try this) to just use my Friedman Mic-No-Mo and not worry about adding a cab block and/or dual-amp setup in the FM9. Put the Mic No Mo between the Katana head and LS cab and run XLR from that to the board.

Or, I'll obsess about this all day and then just chicken out and go with the familiar Electra Dyne in the end... :rofl

Anyway, hope I'm not jumping in on your thread with this, @JiveTurkey , it just seems like the all-things-FM9 thread over here... :)

Just thinking now, it may be easier for tonight (if I do try this) to just use my Friedman Mic-No-Mo and not worry about adding a cab block and/or dual-amp setup in the FM9. Put the Mic No Mo between the Katana head and LS cab and run XLR from that to the board.

Or, I'll obsess about this all day and then just chicken out and go with the familiar Electra Dyne in the end... :rofl

Anyway, hope I'm not jumping in on your thread with this, @JiveTurkey , it just seems like the all-things-FM9 thread over here... :)
No worries! That's a solid plan :beer

Back