Mesa Rectifier Rev G vs Multi-Watt

Have to agree. Really was an important part of the “multi channel amp” story and arguably still the benchmark of what variety of tones and controls a guitarist expects from a flagship amp.

Treadplate is bro AF, but sort of suits a lot of the genres associated with it. Including BUTTROCK, nu metal, industrial etc. It’s a bit tacky but it looks better than Peavey’s Triple XXX, and I’d take it any day of the week over snakeskin 🤮
IMO if we’re chasing lookers, the few Tremoverb heads out there in custom colors probably take the cake in the series, though the standard model is classy too.

jp5sgauu351yn8nwl41z.jpg

Mesa’s were the first amps I had a catalog of and would drool over the Dual Recs with the diamond plates, along with the road ready cabs, too. If I dig through my notebooks from high school I can find rig diagrams and the 4x12’s will have diamond plate on the edges. :rofl

That was before I even knew who Dream Theater was, so by the time I got into them and saw Petrucci with basically the dream rig I was picturiing myself having years prior, I was sold. Didn’t know what they sounded like when I first wanted them, but Petrucci confirmed my hunch!

Mesa’s were the first amps I had a catalog of and would drool over the Dual Recs with the diamond plates, along with the road ready cabs, too. If I dig through my notebooks from high school I can find rig diagrams and the 4x12’s will have diamond plate on the edges. :rofl

That was before I even knew who Dream Theater was, so by the time I got into them and saw Petrucci with basically the dream rig I was picturiing myself having years prior, I was sold. Didn’t know what they sounded like when I first wanted them, but Petrucci confirmed my hunch!
That Mesa catalog got around. Fluff mentions it in one of his videos, I remember staring at that awesome pic of the recto with the matching road-ready cab too. I’m sure I still remember some of the marketing language.

Are these yours?!
Noo. Plus, if they were, you'd have known it as soon as it happened. :beer

Plus, while I like my guitars to have a little 'eye-candy', I can't make myself pay those extra prices for custom-clothed amps. I have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

I have an entire folder of custom Mesa amps/cabs pics, but I doubt very seriously I'd ever buy one, let alone 2!

Oh man, I don't know? Should we save the Treadplate for the workbenches and the tailgates of our trucks? :idk

There is something very Bro-tastic about it, I have to admit. :LOL:
Btw,it represents DANGER.
Buckle down, your about to blast off,
bones in traction on that tread plate…

Noo. Plus, if they were, you'd have known it as soon as it happened. :beer

Plus, while I like my guitars to have a little 'eye-candy', I can't make myself pay those extra prices for custom-clothed amps. I have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

I have an entire folder of custom Mesa amps/cabs pics, but I doubt very seriously I'd ever buy one, let alone 2!

Hahahah I was going to say, I can understand keeping the Silverburst secret for a little while, but we’re going to haggle over one of these heads!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Very little experience with the MW. I love Rectos though. I’ve had one Revision G Dual Solo Head which was a goddamned fire breather of an amp. Hit it with an SD-1 and it got tighter and even more pissed off. I’ve also had 3 Tremoverbs over the years, which had a little more going on in the mids plus reverb. Still took boosts amazingly but were a little more rock oriented and less metal. Plus Blues mode sounded fantastic for what it was. Also the clean on the Tremoverbs was fantastic. I also had a Series II Single Rec which wasn’t bad. But my first Tremoverb put it out to pasture.

I lived on the Orange Vintage High Gain mode though. On the Tverbs, it was full and sweet and had a great lead voicing. On the Solo head it had a little more teeth to the tone and did the tight thrash thing. Both could be made to sound similar but the solo was more aggressive. If I ever get another Recto, I’d want a Revision G again. However, I wouldn’t mind getting a Series II Triple. Early 2000s 3 Channel Triples actually sounded pretty good and were tighter than the Duals of the same era. I wouldn’t kick out a multiwatt for the right price either, but my personal preference is for the Rev G.

Those clips aren't identical but they're about as close as two amps can get without being identical. I hear a tiny bit more mids in the MW, but like you said that could easily be due to the < 1 minute of dialing them in. The character of the distortion sounds almost exactly the same between the two amps.
i agree with this.

Rev in this clip has more mids which makes stand out bit more to me at least.

I've always dismissed the 50w Solo Rectifiers. Buddy had one years back and it was an hot mess
for both of us. I just gloss over them now when I see them. Once upon a time you could find them
all day in the $600-$800 range.

Those who know more than I, is that wise? Is there anything there? :idk

I’ve also had 3 Tremoverbs over the years, which had a little more going on in the mids plus reverb. Still took boosts amazingly but were a little more rock oriented and less metal. Plus Blues mode sounded fantastic for what it was. Also the clean on the Tremoverbs was fantastic. I also had a Series II Single Rec which wasn’t bad. But my first Tremoverb put it out to pasture.

I lived on the Orange Vintage High Gain mode though. On the Tverbs, it was full and sweet and had a great lead voicing.

Hell yeah! :beer

Mine is my current living room amp. :LOL:

You’re not missing anything on the Solo 50s. They’re limited by headroom and the fact that you can’t disengage the loop means you’re always at a compromise tonally with the global master. Was mine a cool amp? Sure was. Got me in the Recto door. Did it compare to the Tremoverb I later got? Not even close.

You’re not missing anything on the Solo 50s. They’re limited by headroom and the fact that you can’t disengage the loop means you’re always at a compromise tonally with the global master. Was mine a cool amp? Sure was. Got me in the Recto door. Did it compare to the Tremoverb I later got? Not even close.

That jives with my memory. It was like the power amp was not stout enough to smooth out and give some heft
to the preamp. Just a ratty, mushy, ill-defined mess, as I recall. We both hated it. :LOL:

@MirrorProfiles Grabbed this one first for you. So many times I have pulled an amp out of storage and it didn't work. Happened again haha! Took the thing apart to find what I should have remembered. The Trident didn't come with a fuse holder so I took it out of this one...

Settings were the same as the multi watt.

Back