Mesa Mark V Head: Excellent Shape $1,800 !?!?!?

It's a roulette because you never know who you're gonna have to deal with:
  • Some young punk just collecting a paycheck who doesn't know shit, and can't find anyone who does
  • Some sales guy who knows a little, but still can't make a deal w/ you
  • Some "manager" who doesn't know shit about how to close a sale
  • Some dude w/ authority, that will say yes, but screw up something else, or, the rarest of GC species, hardly ever seen in the wild...,
  • Some dude who can actually say yes to a great deal, then get it done right, afterwards

This is getting dangerous: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/MESA-Boogie/Throttle-Box-Effect-Pedal-120173739.gc

Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 3.44.55 PM.png

Baby Marks and EL84s? No thanks. :idk
Mine rocks nicely with two of these thanks.
Beautiful mini-stack.

I get great tones without the GEQ on virtually every Mark series amp I have owned.

It's not essential.

I also think the GEQ and the dreaded V curve is a massive crutch that can be more
of a curse than a blessing. I bet there are players who have never heard a Mark
amp with the GEQ off. :crazy

Everyone who has ever used a Mark with a GEQ has done the GEQ dance mid song.

Fiddle-fucking with them sliders and getting the too hot or too cold vibe, and wondering
where the Goldilocks just right place is. :facepalm

There are nights where you might not find it.

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

I get great tones without the GEQ on virtually every Mark series amp I have owned.

It's not essential.

I also think the GEQ and the dreaded V curve is a massive crutch that can be more
of a curse than a blessing. I bet there are players who have never heard a Mark
amp with the GEQ off. :crazy
Every time I've tried a Mark series I've felt like I would like to have a separate GEQ for every channel to get the most out of them. The dual GEQ on the JP2C is nice, the Mark V preset EQ knobs not so much.

If ever there was an amp that could benefit from digital control, it's the Mark series.

Out of Mesas lineup, I've considered buying the Lonestar Classic several times. But even used ones are pretty expensive over here.

People are struggling these days, so we’re going to see folks selling gear to pay the bills. But, since the economy has been reduced to shit, buyers are also scarce. So lowball pricing is the only way to move stuff quickly.

I don’t see this as a result of people being unable to afford gear. I think it is more on account of digital gear becoming more widely acceptable to guitarists. Not just due to affordability and quality, but also due to pragmatism.

Personally, I am always going to own amps like my Savage 120 (on account of Obscura, killer band, check it out).

But as mainly a home musician and hobbyist, the opportunities I will get to run the amp full tilt or even less record with it like that are far and few.

I think it’s just a sign of the times. Especially in places like America, where families once use to own detached houses with a garage, garden, four rooms, etc.

Nowadays, most of us can’t even afford homes like Al Bundy from Married with Parents.

And in the 80s and 90s, Bundy was considered poor.

I don’t see this as a result of people being unable to afford gear.
I do, because I see it with guitars also. There is an absolute glut of guitars for sale, new and used, and the numbers have been steadily increasing.

And sellers still don't get it, trying to sell a mint guitar for more money than you can realistically expect to negotiate the price down to, of a new one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t see this as a result of people being unable to afford gear. I think it is more on account of digital gear becoming more widely acceptable to guitarists. Not just due to affordability and quality, but also due to pragmatism.

Personally, I am always going to own amps like my Savage 120 (on account of Obscura, killer band, check it out).

But as mainly a home musician and hobbyist, the opportunities I will get to run the amp full tilt or even less record with it like that are far and few.

I think it’s just a sign of the times. Especially in places like America, where families once use to own detached houses with a garage, garden, four rooms, etc.

Nowadays, most of us can’t even afford homes like Al Bundy from Married with Parents.

And in the 80s and 90s, Bundy was considered poor.

It's about people being unable to afford to live. The economy has been soundly tanked, and in America it costs the average household $12,000 more annually to maintain the same standard of living that we had five years ago. People are struggling.

Everyone who has ever used a Mark with a GEQ has done the GEQ dance mid song.

Fiddle-fucking with them sliders and getting the too hot or too cold vibe, and wondering
where the Goldilocks just right place is. :facepalm

There are nights where you might not find it.

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

My time with the Mark IV is when I switched to “Fuck it, I’m the only one bothered by this” at live shows and stopped tweaking mid-set IMMENSELY after.

To be honest, once the set starts my tone is the last thing I’m thinking about unless something is sounding egregiously wrong/bad :LOL:

Back