Need a Trio. Help me choose a third head.

Achilles

Rock Star
1) Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 in Mark IV mode - liquid smooth hi gain leads
2) KSR Ares - liquid smooth hi gain leads

I think the obvious choice would be a Soldano SLO30 but they've simply too damn expensive on the used market still.

EL84, 6L6, EL34, 6V6, I don't care. After the positive experience with the KSR I put a brand new set of TAD in the Boogie and that thing IMMEDIATELY came off the used market.

- under $2,000
- used preferred (excellent/mint)
- single channel (hi-gain lead) is fine
- 100% not a chugga guy but do play 7 string
- Holdsworth/Petrucci/Poland - rock/metal/fusion with lots of legato

6L6 5153 is on the radar but just learned there's multiple revs - any tips? Anything else that MUST be considered based on all this? THANKS.

In terms of the 50 waters I’m pretty sure there’s just the original, the revision with the concentric knobs for gain/vol for channels 1 and 2, and the new stealth that I’ve heard universally is the most best of them all. I’m probably biased since I just got one but the 5153 is pretty amazing especially at the price point they go for

I’d also say consider some ENGLs , quite a few different models can be had under $2k used and I’ve never been unhappy with an ENG

In terms of an SLO 30, I know it says face to face only, but I know this guy has had this amp listed for like… over a year. I actually bought a cab from him last year and heard the amp in question (sounds killer btw lol). Slightly over $2k but he also says OBO… couldn’t hurt to shoot your shot if you really want one and he’s obviously having trouble moving it

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/denver-soldano-slo-30-amp-head-obo/7670602406.html

I think the obvious choice would be a Soldano SLO30 but they've simply too damn expensive on the used market still.

EL84, 6L6, EL34, 6V6, I don't care. After the positive experience with the KSR I put a brand new set of TAD in the Boogie and that thing IMMEDIATELY came off the used market.

- under $2,000

6L6 5153 is on the radar but just learned there's multiple revs - any tips? Anything else that MUST be considered based on all this? THANKS.

The Stealth 5153 6L6 is a beast. Loved it and regret selling it to this day. (Though I got over it at the time because I got the SLO30) It’s kinda of become a modern high gain standard. And really fairly priced, particularly the 50w version.

Pink Taco V2?

That's actually the other one on the radar. Interesting that V1's chassis was a couple inches shorter than V2. I know a SAT switch takes up zero board topology so I wonder what else he might have done under the hood with V2.

That's actually the other one on the radar. Interesting that V1's chassis was a couple inches shorter than V2. I know a SAT switch takes up zero board topology so I wonder what else he might have done under the hood with V2.
Sat switch, fat switch, don’t know what else. Sounds amazing though. Was just watching Michael Nielsen’s video. Killer

Question about the whole Stealth thing. Is it simply a black colored version of a regular model or is it unique in other ways? Thanks.
It has differently voiced red and blue (more usable gain on blue and red imo) and a depth know on the back. It's pretty unanimous as the best 50w 5153 variant

5150 III 50W Stealth 6L6 here. Superb metal amp. Love the form factor. It is literally ’the sound’ for the modern heavy thing to me. FWIW, I also have the SLO and they are *way* different amps, though, IMHO.

A 6505 or better, a SYN30/50 with an SLO module, would be a better stand in for the SLO than an EVH…

I went completely down the Synergy rabbit hole a ways back. The SLO was hands down my favorite of the half dozen or so ones I tried for sure.
Why does the EVH have to have the little pcb mounted plastic push buttons?!?!?!? (pet peeve) I'd imagine someone's looked under the hood at the build - solid?

I went completely down the Synergy rabbit hole a ways back. The SLO was hands down my favorite of the half dozen or so ones I tried for sure.
Why does the EVH have to have the little pcb mounted plastic push buttons?!?!?!? (pet peeve) I'd imagine someone's looked under the hood at the build - solid?
I've heard of hit or miss QC. I wouldn't buy a EVH head with the main selling point being build quality

I've heard of hit or miss QC. I wouldn't buy a EVH head with the main selling point being build quality

Great timing. For no other reason that continuity I should stick with made in USA like what's stamped on the back of the other two. That means definitely used.

- under $2,000

Mezza Barbara Skill

A friend has the Pink Taco. He also has a Synergy setup and purchased the Friedman HBE module. He is selling the Pink Taco.

Last edited:
Back