Mesa Dual rectifier mod

megametal7

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Hey hey rectifier people….

Right… I have a question….

My bassist is a electrician and he suggested to mod my amp….

He says its good idea to do it, ( something to do with valves).

Shell I do it? I dont want to fuck the amp for no reason…. And it lose value because its moded…?

Whata your take on this?

Thx

what kind of a mod?

and no.

I mean; he could add a bias pot and it probably wouldn’t mangle anything, but I’d just pay the premium and use the mesa stamped stuff.

what kind of a mod?

and no.

I mean; he could add a bias pot and it probably wouldn’t mangle anything, but I’d just pay the premium and use the mesa stamped stuff.
I think he said bias …. To be honest i was not listening when he was talking to me i wanted to go home… lol

I remember him saying that current spikes and to control it… something along those lines.

I'd leave it alone personally. While there are some technical things that its possible to improve on a bit with a Mesa, you stand to lose more than you'd gain by messing around with it. If something is wrong, have it serviced, otherwise I'd just leave it alone in this case. Especially if you aren't sure if/why you want it modded to begin with.

I'd leave it alone personally. While there are some technical things that its possible to improve on a bit with a Mesa, you stand to lose more than you'd gain by messing around with it. If something is wrong, have it serviced, otherwise I'd just leave it alone in this case. Especially if you aren't sure if/why you want it modded to begin with.

My plan was to leave it alone, I want to keep it original.

I just wanted to hear other peoples take on this to see if it was worth it to have it moded.

If you haven't noticed any limitations with the amp since you got it, I'd first ask, Why?

I've never heard of any reliability issues with Dual Rectifiers large enough to require a mod for that.
If it's to improve the sound, I'd make sure it's something variable, so you can compare it to how it sounds without the mod.
If it's for more versatility, you have to decide if you need it in the first place.

And I don't know what the % is of prospective buyers who would pass by an amp that was modded, but imho, any mod decreases its value. Unless it's by some famous amp builder, and can be documented..., I suppose.

I'd probably just leave it alone, and if it's not working for you, try something else.

Here's another thought...., suppose you do the mod, then at some point in the near future it blows a power tube or transformer. Then what?
I'd imagine you'd think it had something to do with the mod, and your electrician bassist would probably claim it didn't.

Plus, being an 'electrician', at least in the US, doesn't mean you know the first thing about modding guitar amps. 'Electrician' and 'electronics technician' are not the same thing. One wires buildings, the other works on electronic devices. They can overlap, but if an electrician per se, wanted to mod my amp, I'd ask him what does he know about amps, the same way I would, if he said he was a used car salesman. If you know what I mean.

8cxya1.jpg

Its highly unlikely that I will mod it.

I like original as is.

Thanks for your take on this.

:knit

IMO there aren’t many mods you can make to a Dual Rec before you leave the realm of what that amp does.

If you are looking for a warmer bias, give some EL34s a try in the power section. They run much hotter than the 6L6 tubes while also carrying other benefits some of us love, like a leaner low end and more prominent midrange content.

Back