3rd Power x Joe Satriani Amplifier news

jonhurleyguitar

Vendor
Hey all,
Love to introduce myself here and give ya guys some of the information I posted on TGP after lots of rumors started circulating the other day.
My name is Jonathan Hurley- one of the Co-Owners of 3rd Power Amplification. I handle duties of Chief of Production as well as deal with all things Business Development & Artist Relations. While I'm not the designer of the amplifiers- Dylana has been teaching me as a student over the last couple of years. Shes invested in making sure the legacy of the company lives beyond her lifetime and shes giving me the tools to do so.

If you haven't seen the news already.. yes, this is happening.

A couple of notes about this build that I've seen (FAQS)
  1. Why not just use a 5150, Marshall, Splawn, Friedman, ETCETCETC
    • Joe has tried all of those things, he is very aware of what is on the market and if you listen/watch the interview, he points to a bunch of amps- including 5150s he has in the background. He wants a specific sound in his head and he was recommended to talk to Dylana about designing something not off the shelf. One thing I think the media is missing the mark on is the next point below..
    • On this tour, its not only going after Van Halen's discography, but also Satch's, Hagar's solo stuff, and Chickenfoot. Joe has to have an amplifier flexible enough to span all of those lines and still sound like himself while paying homage to the VH stuff.
    • The company's MO is "Emotional translation" & "Historic tone and feel"
  2. "It's just a money grab/publicity stunt"
    • This is a passion product- one born out of chasing a historic tone and feel from the amplifier. Nothing more, not a money grab nor clout chasing. Both Dylana and I are incredibly passionate about Historic tone and feel, ask anyone, we don't do this for the money. We do this because we LOVE what we do
    • Satch could have gone to any company- Fender, Marshall, Friedman, Soldano,etc. and taken a massive check/endorsement. He chose to come to us/Dylana for a reason. He heard how passionate we were from many people in the industry and as he says in his interview- "I know in my heart, I want to hear that sound in my head",
    • Satch went public with the information regarding working with 3p before we even knew he was going to. In the interview, he said he was getting audio clips from Dylana during the design process and was incredibly impressed. So impressed that he went public singing the praises of the amp's tone.
    • I want to be able to feel it. So I've been getting these clips from Dylana every week and that stuff that she's building is really amazing."

TLDR: We do this because we're passionate about doing the material justice. Joe has been a massive influence in my personal life- I met him at a show when I was 13 and he gave me such amazing words of encouragement that I will never forget. Since then, I have gone to become not only a Co-Owner of a tube amp company, but a professional touring & session guitarist influenced by the likes of Satch, Nuno, and EVH. He essentially told me "Don't stop playing, keep pushing and you could be up there some day"

I Hope this answers at least a couple of questions. feel free to chime in below. I will answer everything I can at the moment and keep you guys up to date. Obviously some things are under-wraps for now

Thanks everyone!
Jon @3p

Attachments

• 419688151_3700932020192534_4648753329473762957_n.jpg
    419688151_3700932020192534_4648753329473762957_n.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Welcome, Jon!!

I know I’m not the only one that’s looking forward to this amp!! I really appreciate you stopping in and giving us the lowdown!!

hahahaha my biggest head scratcher when the armchair guys start offering opinions is “Do you not think Satch knows these amps exist?!?!’’ :rofl :rofl

Knock it out of the park!!!!!! I’ll be there at opening night to hear it in all it’s glory!

I think Satch has chosen a very good period - the guitar solo in Live Without a Net when he finishes playing 316 and turns the guitar volume up and depresses the whammy bar with the low E - that is the sound I hear!!!

I read the interview and am curious to see what Satch gets.
A single amp able to do all of that sounds like a bear to create, but fascinating if achieved.
Being able to do all those sounds at a real stage volume is no easy feat.

I said it in the other thread, but I'm dying to try a Kitchen Sink. It's an analog/tube modeler. The big question is, will Joe be using at least a prototype of it on tour with Vai? Because I'm seeing them in April!! So excited. Joe and Steve are why I started playing guitar.

I have been fortunate enough to own 2 different 3rd Power Heads in the past. You are right
about the sort of analog modeling versatility they offer. That's exactly why I went that route.
British Dream, and a 3rd Power Dream Solo 3 Head.

I'd grab another in an heartbeat, and I love that Joe has synced with Dylana to create something
that doesn't exist in the current marketplace. Hell yeah! Who knows, maybe there will be a production
version of this one day. I am guessing the odds are very high that there will be.

I said it in the other thread, but I'm dying to try a Kitchen Sink. It's an analog/tube modeler. The big question is, will Joe be using at least a prototype of it on tour with Vai? Because I'm seeing them in April!! So excited. Joe and Steve are why I started playing guitar.

I have been fortunate enough to own 2 different 3rd Power Heads in the past. You are right
about the sort of analog modeling versatility they offer. That's exactly why I went that route.
British Dream, and a 3rd Power Dream Solo 3 Head.

I'd grab another in an heartbeat, and I love that Joe has synced with Dylana to create something
that doesn't exist in the current marketplace. Hell yeah! Who knows, maybe there will be a production
version of this one day. I am guessing the odds are very high that there will be.
I didn't need to read this :oops::nails

Very cool.

Much like EVH, Satch has a pretty impeccable record for coming up with great new amps. Even though I'm sure they had very different design and marketing briefs, the JSX and JVM 410HJS are fantastic amps, so hopefully you guys have something extremely special planned!

Good luck!

Back